I had to recreate my Outlook profile and hence need access to my Outlook data. However I do not currently have access to the network. How do I open or import my old OST file in my new Outlook profile?
This is what happens, whenever you are recreating your Outlook profile. Unfortunately, there is no in-built feature available for importing OST file like your PST Import / Export feature; hence, it has to done manually. Actually these OST files are the Offline Outlook data file that helps you to access your emails and other Outlook data even when the internet connection is low.
As soon as you initially configure or recreate the program to connect to an email account, the Microsoft Outlook application automatically creates an OST file, or the offline folder file. This OST file stores a copy of your mailbox and lets you to access your mail even when you are not connected to the Internet. OST files are always stored in their default location, so to import an alternate OST file you just place it in that default location.
Below are the simple steps involved in importing the OST file to your Microsoft Outlook profile; read further for complete procedure:
- Close your Microsoft Outlook application and ensure that it is not running
- In the Start menu, click on the “My Computer” option
- Now, find out the OST file location on your computer and select it. Depending on the Windows version your OST file location changes:
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook directory
In Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\User\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook directory
- Once, you navigated to the “Outlook directory” folder, find the file named “Outlook.ost”
- Just select, drag-and-drop the “Outlook.ost” file to your desktop
- Now, copy the alternate (old) OST file that has to be imported into this “Outlook directory” folder
- Then this alternate OST file has to be renamed to “Outlook.ost”
- Once done, when you open the Outlook application, it will automatically import this new OST data and use it as its primary OST file.
Hence, with the above steps you can easily import your OST file to your new Outlook profile. Even though the steps involved in this process are easy and simple, extra care is needed while importing. This is because there are numerous chances wherein your OST file might get corrupt while copying; this would land you in distressful situations. In such instances you can make use of the Remo Convert OST to PST software that helps you in fixing the corrupt OST and converts it to PST file to ensure safe and easy access to your Microsoft Outlook data. Moreover, this application comes handy for users to guide how to repair OST files after corrupt due to virus and malware attacks and other reasons. Know more by visiting given link…