If you are dealing with the error code 0xc0000005 on Windows, you can check out the methods mentioned in this article in order to fix that error code.
Well basically, you can get the error 0xc0000005 under three kinds of circumstances. One is ‘Access Violation Error’, then the next would be ‘The application unable to start’ and the last would be ‘Windows Installation Error’.
Let’s discuss the above three types of situations one by one…
#1. Access Violation Error
This type of situation occurs when the program you try to run is attempting to reach a location that is not assigned to it. You can try the methods below to troubleshoot this error.
Method #1: First, you should run your security software to scan out malicious programs.
Method #2: You can also disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for the program that has the problem. To disable it, follow these instructions:
- Log in your Windows as Administrator
- Press Win + Rand then enter “cpl“
- Click the Advanced Click the Settings button
- Click the Data Execution Prevention Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services and then click Add
- Open the problematic executable (.exe) Then click OK all the way out
Method #3: Sometimes the error appears due to corrupted Registry. You can restore your Registry or check all your Registry entries and remove any redundant one. Note that it is strongly recommended to back up your registry before you proceed as any improper manipulation can bring unexpected consequences to your Registry.
“Sometimes, the error 0xc0000005 may lead to failure of Windows hard drive. Under such cases, having data backup is well and good. If you don’t have any data backup and you are looking to recover data from failed Windows, then make use of Remo Software.”
Method #4: In addition to all the causes above, an incompatible RAM can also result in Access violation error. In this case, you should completely cut off the power of your computer, and then remove the RAM(s) from your computer or replace them with other RAMs.
#2. The Application Unable to Start!
This 0xc0000005 error usually appears when you are attempting to run an application and it nevertheless crashes. It comes with a message saying “The application was unable to start correctly. “
To resolve this error, you can try the methods below.
Method #1: It is also possible that the application unable to start error is caused by viruses or malware, you should run a full scan of your computer to identify the origin of your problem. Or in some cases, the security software itself can cause the issue. You can try disabling it to see if the problem is removed.
Method #2: Well, you may also get this error because your BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file is corrupted. You can try repairing it and see if you can fix this error.
Important: You need a Windows installation media for your system before you begin. And you may need to re-activate your Windows after you follow the steps below.
- Put your Windows installation media into your computer. Then start your computer from the media. You will see a Windows Setup window on your screen
- Open Command Prompt in your installation media. If you are using Windows 7, click Next > Repair your computer > Next > Command Prompt. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, click Next > Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt
- In Command Prompt, type the following lines and press Enter on your keyboard
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer. Then check to see if you get rid of the error.
#3. Windows installation error
You can also get 0xc0000005 error when you are installing your Windows. The error message tells you that Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. At this point, you cannot continue your installation.
Well, the reason for this error can be that the operating system you are installing is not compatible with the partition. You need to delete all partitions and create new ones.
So taking backups before proceeding is a wise idea!
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.