Summary: Taking Outlook OST file backup need not require a complex process of converting OST to PST. With this article you can take backup of OST file with all Outlook attributes intact including the Outlook profile settings in just three clicks. Know how Remo’s Backup and Migrate Tool for Outlook can help you take OST backup in no time.
Outlook is one of the most common ways to communicate when it comes to work emails or official notifications. Either you are working from home or hustling at the office, Microsoft Outlook also helps in organizing the norms of everyday work.
OST and PST are two types of Outlook data files that hold all your precious mails, contacts, notes and many more Outlook attributes in them. PST file is locally saved on your computer and can be moved across the devices and hence taking backup of PST and moving it is a pretty simple task.
Hence, you see many websites suggesting to convert OST to PST when you are looking for taking backup of the OST file.
What if I told you that you can take backup of the OST file in less than 2 minutes without having to convert it to a PST file?
Don’t believe what you just read?
With an exclusive tool that is dedicated for Outlook backup and migration by your side, you have to believe that you can backup and transfer Outlook OST file to new computer without needing to convert it into PST.
Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Software is an all in one tool that not only helps you to backup both OST and PST but also assists you in migration of Outlook. The tool can backup your entire Outlook data including mails, contacts, notes, reminders and most importantly your Outlook settings intact. Download the tool now for free and try backing up Outlook without any hassle.
If you have lost or misplaced your Outlook contacts while backing up your OST file, read the mentioned article to recover lost contacts from Outlook. With the help of the given informative write-up, you can get back your contacts regardless of your Outlook version.
Backup Outlook OST file with Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool:
To backup OST file, download and install Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Software and follow the below mentioned instructions:
- Launch the tool, Select Backup option
- In the next screen you can choose between Smart Backup or Advanced Backup. Smart Backup- instantly takes the entire OST file backup. Advanced Backup- You can specify the contents of the OST file according to your need.
- After choosing either of the above options, click on next to start the OST backup process.
- Click on Finish and that’s it you have successfully taken backup of the OST file.
How to Manually Take OST Backup?
There are various workarounds with which you can manually take backup of the OST file. The first method is to export Outlook data files and the second method is to create an archive folder to backup the OST file.
Method 1: Export Outlook data to backup OST file
- Launch Microsoft Outlook, Click on File
- Select Open & Export and click on Import or Export
- In the next window, select Export to a file and click on next
- In the next window, select Outlook data file (.pst) and click on next
- Check the folders you want to backup or check the include subfolders to take the entire OST backup and hit the Next button.
- Browse for a location and provide a name for your backup file and select do not export duplicate items to avoid duplicates before you click on Finish.
Note: The exporting method to take backup of OST file will generate a PST file with all your Outlook data in it. If you want to know more about how to take Outlook PST file backup, you can check this link.
Method 2: Archive Outlook folders to backup OST
Archiving is not exactly backing up the OST file, it is more like moving your important data on to a separate folder in Outlook. Remember archiving doesn't backup Outlook contacts, know how to backup and move Outlook Contacts here.
Follow the below mentioned steps to archive Outlook:
- Open Microsoft Outlook and click on File
- Click on Tools (or Cleanup Tools for Older Outlook versions)
- Select Set Archive Folders ( Archive for Outlook 2016 and previous versions)
- In the Setup Archive Window click on new and name the archive folder and where you want to store it
- Click Ok to finish the Outlook archiving process.
Although the above manual methods kind of help you to backup OST files, they have their own disadvantages like converting into a PST file and not being able to archive a complete Outlook data file.
Moreover, the manual process is complex and when you are dealing with a large amount of precious work related data you cannot afford to take chances. Hence, it is recommended to make use of a complete automated and safe method to backup and migrate using Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate Tool.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.