“Computers”- The word is now a part and parcel of our day-to-day life. There are people who spend all their daily hours in sitting before the computer. It is because of the job that they are upto. System failure is one of the most unbearable instances, particularly in the middle of a most important job. It is essential for each and every computer user to know what happens at the time of system crash and how to troubleshoot them. This may help anyone at any time.
These system crash or computer problems can be categorized into two sections:
- Hard issues
- Soft issue
The issues found before the BIOS screen shows up is called hard issues. Here hard issues do not mean hard ware related issues. Actually it speaks about how to trouble shoot the damaged physical component of a computer system. In hard issues a normal user cannot rectify the problem alone.
On speaking about the hard issues it can be further classified into two subs and the physical damages to the PC are included in it.
- Before system start
- After system start
The only issue that occurs before system start is “computer power on failure”. The reasons that cause this problem are.
- Drop in power supply
- Physical damage to the power cord that connects the system and plug point
- Damaged Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) equipment. SMPS is responsible for maintaining the power flow in the computer. The normal raw 240 volt power supply cannot be used for computers unlike other electronic devices. When the SMPS is damaged, it halts the complete power supply to the computer.
The majority of the computer problems occur after the system start since the computer is a combination of multiple electronic devices. It needs a proper coordination from each and every component. Incase if any component fail to give its support it results in hard ware failure. There are components that has less priority at system initiation e.g. floppy drive, CD drive etc. At times we can customize these devices too.
For a basic computer some peripheral components are more important without that the system cannot be started. Listed here are those devices and some techniques to sort out the defect part correctly.
- Hard drive
- Display device
Among these components motherboard, RAM and hard drive are the most important things. The SMPS provides power supply and the display devices help us to know what happens visually.
The troubles can be sorted out based on the beeps and POST messages. The beeps will help to identify the faulty device. The message will say the type of error messages in that device. In many case there will be no POST messages. Here are the beep codes and their corresponding devices associated with it.
- One long beep simultaneously followed by a short beep indicates the motherboard failure
- Short continuous beeps indicate RAM or DRAM failure
- Four continual beeps indicate CMOS battery failure
- Five beeps – CPU failure or processor failure
- Four continuous and 3 delayed beeps indicate hard drive failure
These codes are more common to the widely used PC’s. Well some of them may vary based on its manufacturer standards and versions. Lest if the two or more peripherals are damaged, remove the components individually and check for the beep code variation among them.
The soft issues are located in between the appearance of BIOS screen and the appearance of user desktop screen. The user had to concentrate on soft issues as they directly affect the data storage area.
About 88 % of soft related issues don’t harm the computer physical component but are equally vulnerable. They mostly damage the data and information inside the PC. Some of the few reasons that cause the major damage are power fluctuation, viruses, malware programs, operating system crash etc.
Normally soft issues are found more troublesome when found at system startup. Here are set of commonly found troubles in Windows operating systems and their reasons.
- On starting the Windows OS you may find that the initial process may rotate in loop without entering into the desktop mode. This is due to corruption or deletion of some .dll files and this can be repaired by reinstalling the Windows operating system or using the “system restore” option in safe mode.
- If the system shows chkdsk error then confirm that HDD is not providing control to scan it. Sometimes it will take to the desktop or a Blue screen of Death (BSOD).
- One of the most commonly found error in Windows is “NTLDR missing” or a missing operating system.
Eventually there are many chances of huge data loss in such type of situations and occurs unexpectedly. Therefore you need a powerful recovery tool to get back or regain those computer data. One such tool is Remo Recover Windows Pro which is recommended as one of the best tools to recover crashed computer data or after any other circumstances.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.