Until you use one, it is difficult to comprehend how much easier life will be to have a duplicate file remover on your Windows or Mac. Especially if you are someone who regularly works on the same or similar set of programs or files such as Excel, Word document, photos, videos, etc. A perfect duplicate file remover tool should not only delete unnecessary or duplicate files saved on your drive but should also understand the difference between similar files. This way you save your internal storage space and save a lot of your crucial time organizing your data saved across various locations.
Finding out the best duplicate file remover software can be challenging if you have less or no knowledge of it. To ease your decision making regarding which is the best duplicate file finder for you, we have tested and compared the 5 most preferred duplicate file remover tools with various parameters like price, interface, performance, speed, etc.
With no further due, let us dive into this article and find out what is the best duplicate file remover to delete duplicate files from Windows or Mac at its price point.
What is the Best Duplicate File Finder?
Following are the 5 most preferred duplicate file remover tools
- Remo Duplicate File Remover
- Wise Duplicate Finder
- Easy Duplicate File Finder
- Duplicate Cleaner
1. Remo Duplicate File Remover
Platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Interface: Refined and Minimalistic
Let's start exploring one of the top duplicate file removers. With already over a million downloads Remo is one of the highest-rated duplicate file finders. Pricing under $20 Remo is the cheapest and the most value-for-money duplicate file remover among all the tools. Undergoing constant refinement Remo Duplicate File Remover achieved the most intuitive user interface.
By providing separate options to scan the entire drive or a specific folder, Remo Duplicate File Remover gives a clear user experience. Comprising only a 2-step process, Remo is also the easiest tool to use. To remove the duplicate files or folders, all you need to do is select a drive and click the Scan button. In simple words, Remo Duplicate Photo Remover is best suited for all classes of users who have efficiency as a priority. Following are the parameters of Remo Duplicate File Remover.
- Intuitive graphical interface
- Available in all platforms (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS)
- MD5 hash algorithm is by default exact match algorithm hence tool provides the best accuracy
- You can preview the duplicate files so that you can decide on which files to delete and keep
- The tool performs byte by byte comparison. That is it compares the contents of the file rather than file name or size
Note: Remo Duplicate File Remover tool moves all your deleted duplicate files to the Recycle Bin instead of permanently deleting them. This is to provide you a chance of restoring deleted files if they are mistakenly deleted.
- Scanning time might increase based on the number of files in a folder
- Preview files are not full resolution
Summary: You can use this tool right out of the box. If you are looking for an instant way to remove duplicate files, this tool is the right choice. Most importantly, Remo Duplicate File Remover provides you with the most efficient user interface which makes the entire process easy even for a novice user. It also provides you flawless results by implementing byte to byte comparison. Overall, Remo is the best duplicate file finder tool for users who just want to get rid of duplicate files in the least possible time. Since the tool is available in both versions, you can also remove duplicate files on Mac.
2. Wise Duplicate Finder
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Among all the top duplicate file removers, Wise Duplicate Finder has the most minimalist user interface. You just need to select the drive or folder and scan the drive to find the duplicates. You will get 3 modes to scan for duplicates and that's all no additional features to classify the results. The following are the parameters, Pros, and Cons of the tool.
- Easy to use
- Groups all the duplicate files together
- The least scan time (based on the mode you have selected)
- The interface is too plain and needs a lot of improvement especially for novice users
- The biggest disadvantage is that the tool offers no preview of duplicate files so, you don’t know which duplicate/similar file you are removing
- Cannot classify the duplicate files based on file type such as document, music, videos
- Accurate only in exact match mode other two modes yield lower results than expected
Summary: Easy to use the tool but needs a lot of refinement. This tool is for a user who is just looking to make some space regardless of what files are being removed.
3. Easy Duplicate File Finder
Easy Duplicate File finder is a little advanced tool compared to the aforementioned tools. However, pricing is almost 40 dollars we expect it to be advanced. The key feature of this tool is it can find duplicate files on your cloud storage drives. The tool also provides the entire report of what file type is common among all the found duplicates.
- Easy user interface
- Highly accurate
- You can also define additional file types, max, and minimum file sizes
- Provides you with full resolution preview images
- Segments the files based file type
- You can also save the scan session
- The tool is slow while scanning
- Expensive when compared to other tools
Summary: This duplicate file remover program finds duplicates with great accuracy. But, it very expensive for the provided functionalities of just finding the duplicate files.
4. Duplicate Cleaner
Duplicate cleaner is a really advanced tool. It has all the dedicated options, image mode, and music mode. You can find additional options such as the same file type, same size, file extension. Even after scanning the drive, you can find that the tool offers many additional features that will make removing duplicate files easy.
- Dedicated modes to find Photos and Musing duplicate files
- Really accurate and performs byte to byte comparison
- User can mark bulk duplicate files based on created date, modified date, file size, text pattern
- It comes with a dedicated audio player to play audio files before deleting them.
- Complicated interface, a novice user cannot use the tool
- Provided options are complicated to understand
- Scan options are tucked inside and hard to find
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Xyplorer is the most advanced duplicate finder in the bunch, and also the most complicated to use. The tool is more like a file manager rather than a duplicate file remover since a duplicate file finder is one of the options that come with the tool. The tool uses MD5 and byte by byte comparison to scanning for duplicate files. However, this tool is not for regular users. You can also program custom commands and alter the files on your computer. Hence, if you want just a tool to find the duplicate files, then this one is overkill.
- This is an advanced tool to manage entire data stored on your computer
- 30 days evaluation period
- The fastest scan times
- Most accurate
- Highly complicated to use
- It’s really hard to find the duplicate finder option
Summary: Highly advanced tool and it is not limited to find duplicate files. Xyplorer is not suggested for everyday usage but choosing this tool will also give you a lot of functionalities that will help you efficiently manage entire computer data. In simple words, this tool is for advanced users who are looking for a holistic tool to manage their complete data existing on a computer.
Comparison of 5 Best Duplicate File Remover:
|User Interface||Scan Modes||Algorithms||Platforms||
|Remo Duplicate File Remover||Refined and Minimalistic||No modes||MD5 Hash Algorithm||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS||Can classify the duplicate files based on file format & Preview of duplicate files|
|Wise Duplicate Finder||Minimalist and rustic||3 Modes||Match File size and File Name Partial Match Exact Match||Windows||Can find empty files|
|Easy Duplicate File Finder||Easy||No scan modes||SHA256||Windows, Mac||Can find duplicates on Cloud drives|
|Duplicate Cleaner||Advanced||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows||Bulk marking the duplicate file before deleting|
|Xyplorer||Advanced and complicated||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows,||Finding duplicates is one feature among all other features|
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.