Duplicate files are sneaky space hoggers on your storage drive. A duplicate file finder is the best way to put a checkmate to all those files. However, it might be a little confusing to pick a tool without knowing which one is the best fit for your requirements. So here I have tested and researched the 5 most preferred duplicate file removers by correlating prominent parameters with their prices. Without any further due, dive into this article and find out what is the best worthy duplicate file finder at its price point. There is no one perfect tool, every product has its own pros and cons. You can choose what is the best duplicate file finder for you based on the discussed parameters.
What is the Best Duplicate File Finder?
Following are the 5 most preferred duplicate file remover tools
- Remo Duplicate File Remover
- Wise Duplicate Finder
- Easy Duplicate File Finder
- Duplicate Cleaner
Remo Duplicate File Remover
Platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Interface: Refined and Minimalistic
Let's start exploring with one of the highly preferred duplicate file removers. With already over a million downloads Remo is one of the highest-rated duplicate file finders. Pricing under $20 Remo is the cheapest and the most value for money duplicate file remover among all the tools. Undergoing constant refinement Remo duplicate file remover achieved the most intuitive user interface. By providing separate options to scan the entire drive or a specific folder, Remo gives a clear user experience. Consisting of a 2 step process, Remo is also the easiest tool to use. To use the tool all you need to do is select a drive and scan. In simple words, Remo Duplicate file remover is best suited for all classes of users who have efficiency as a priority. Following are the parameters of Remo Duplicate file remover
- Intuitive graphical interface
- Available in all platforms (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS)
- SHA256 is by default exact match algorithm hence tool provides the best accuracy
- You can preview the duplicate files so that you can make a decision which file to delete and retain
- The tool performs byte by byte comparison so the tool compares the contents of the file rather than file name or size
- Scanning time might increase based on the number of files in a folder
- Preview files are not full resolution
Summary: You can use this tool right out of the box. If you are looking for an instant way to remove the duplicate files this tool is the right choice. Most importantly, Remo provides you with the most efficient user interface which makes the entire process easy even for a novice computer user. It also provides you flawless results by implementing byte to byte comparison. Overall the best duplicate file remover tool for users who just want to get rid of duplicate files in the least possible time.
Wise Duplicate Finder
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Among all the top duplicate file removers, Wise Duplicate Finder has the most minimalist user interface. You just need to select the drive or folder and scan the drive to find the duplicates. You will get 3 modes to scan for duplicates and that's all no additional features to classify the results. The following are parameters, Pros, and Cons of the tool.
- Easy to use
- Groups all the duplicate files together
- Least scan time (based on the mode you have selected)
- The interface is too plain and needs a lot of improvement especially for novice users
- The biggest disadvantage is that the tool offers no preview of duplicate files so, you don’t know which duplicate/similar file you are removing
- Cannot classify the duplicate files based on file type such as document, music, videos
- Accurate only in exact match mode other two modes yield lower results than expected
Summary: Easy to use the tool but needs a lot of refinement. This tool is for a user who is just looking to make some space regardless what files are being removed.
Easy Duplicate File Finder
Easy Duplicate File finder is a little advanced tool compared to the aforementioned tools. However, pricing is almost 40 dollars we expect it to be advanced. The main feature of this tool is it can also find the duplicates on your cloud storage drives. The tool also provides you with the entire reports of what file type is common among all the found duplicates.
- Easy user interface
- Highly accurate
- You can also define additional file types, max, and minimum file sizes
- Provides you with full resolution preview images
- Segments the files based file type
- You can also save the scan session
- The tool is slow while scanning
- Expensive when compared to other tools
Summary: Tool is streamlined yet expensive for the provided functionalities. Not worth it just to find the duplicate files. However, this tool finds duplicates with great accuracy.
Duplicate cleaner is a really advanced tool. It has all the dedicated options, image mode, and music mode. You can find additional options such as the same file type, same size, file extension. Even after scanning the drive, you will find that the tool offers many additional features that will make removing the duplicate easy.
- Dedicated modes to find Photos and Musing duplicate files
- Really accurate and performs byte to byte comparison
- User can mark bulk duplicate files based on created date, modified date, file size, text pattern
- A dedicated audio player is provided to play audio files before deleting.
- Complicated interface, a novice user cannot use the tool
- Provided options are confusing and complicated to understand
- Scan options are tucked inside and hard to find
Summary: This tool is perfect for users who are dealing with thousands of duplicate files. You can mark and delete the duplicate file in bulk. However, if you are not paying attention you might delete the files which are not intended to delete. Overall one of the best duplicate file remover tool.
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Xyplorer is the most advanced duplicate finder in the bunch and also most complicated to use. The tool is more a file manager and a duplicate file finder are one of the options that come with the tool. The tool uses MD5 and Byte by byte comparison to scanning for duplicate files. However, this tool is not for regular user. You can also program custom commands and alter the files on your computer. Hence if you want just a tool to find the duplicate file this one is overkill.
- This is an advanced tool can be used to manage entire data stored on your computer
- 30 days’ evaluation period
- Fastest scan times
- Most accurate
- Highly complicated to use
- It’s really hard to find the duplicate finder option
Summary: Highly advanced tool however, it is not limited to find the duplicate files. Xyplorer is not suggested for everyday users but choosing this tool will also give you a lot of functionalities that will help you efficiently manage entire computer data. In simple words, this tool is for advanced users who are looking for a holistic tool to manage all the files data existing on a computer.
Comparison of 5 Best Duplicate File Removers:
|User Interface||Scan Modes||Algorithms||Platforms||
|Remo Duplicate File Remover||Refined and Minimalistic||No modes||SHA256||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS||Can classify the duplicate file based on file type
Preview of duplicate files
|Wise Duplicate Finder||Minimalist and rustic
|3 Modes||Match File size and File Name Partial Match Exact Match||Windows||Can find empty files|
|Easy Duplicate File Finder||Easy||No scan modes||SHA256||Windows, Mac||Can find duplicates on Cloud drives|
|Duplicate Cleaner||Advanced||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows||Bulk marking the duplicate file before deleting|
|Xyplorer||Advanced and complicated||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows,||Finding duplicates is one feature among all other features|
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.