If you have fewer duplicate files, then you can easily identify and delete them. But what if you want to remove duplicate files from a larger data set that is spread across various folders or drives? In such cases, you need to utilize the best duplicate file remover software.
Any reliable duplicate file finder on your Windows or Mac can help you delete duplicate files and photos in simple clicks. A perfect duplicate file remover tool should not only find and delete duplicate files saved on your computer but should also understand the difference between similar files. This way you can save your storage space and crucial time organizing your data saved across various locations.
With no further due, let us find out the best duplicate remover to delete duplicate files from Windows or Mac.
What is the Best Duplicate File Finder?
1. Remo Duplicate File Remover
Platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Interface: Refined and Minimalistic
Remo Duplicate File Remover is one of the highly-rated duplicate file finders with already over a million downloads. Pricing under $20, this duplicate file finder is not only the most value-for-money among all the tools but also comes with the most intuitive user interface.
This duplicate file remover gives users a clear user experience by providing separate options to scan the entire drive and a specific folder to remove duplicate items based on the priority. Comprising only a 2-step process, Remo is also the easiest tool to use. To remove the duplicate files or folders, all you need to do is select a drive and click the Scan button.
- Intuitive graphical interface
- Available on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS)
- MD5 hash algorithm is by default exact match algorithm hence tool provides the best accuracy
- You can preview the duplicate files so that you can decide on which files to delete and keep
- The tool performs byte by byte comparison. That is it compares the contents of the file rather than file name or size
Note: Remo Duplicate File Remover tool moves all your deleted duplicate files to the Recycle Bin instead of permanently deleting them. This is to provide you a chance of restoring deleted files if they are mistakenly deleted.
- Scanning time might increase based on the number of files in a folder
- Preview files are not full resolution
How to delete Duplicate Files using Remo Duplicate File Remover?
Step 1: Launch the software and choose between Scan Drive or Scan Folder depending on your need.
Step 2: Now, select the folders from which you want to delete files and click on the Start Scan option.
Step 3: You can refine the scan results using various filters like Images, Video, Documents, etc. And, click on the Delete option to successfully remove all your duplicate files on Windows or Mac system.
2. Wise Duplicate Finder
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Among all the top duplicate file removers, Wise Duplicate Finder has the most minimalist user interface. You just need to select the drive or folder and scan it to find the duplicate files. You will get 3 modes to scan for duplicates and that's all no additional features to classify the results. The following are the parameters, Pros, and Cons of the tool.
- Groups all the duplicate files together
- The least scan time (based on the mode you have selected)
- The tool is easy to use but needs a lot of refinement. Wise Duplicate Finder is suited for a user who is just looking to make some space regardless of what files are being removed.
- The interface is too plain and needs a lot of improvement especially for novice users
- The biggest disadvantage is that the tool offers no preview of duplicate files so, you don’t know which duplicate/similar file you are removing
- Cannot classify the duplicate files based on file type such as document, music, videos
- Accurate only in exact match mode other two modes yield lower results than expected
Quick Note: Check this out if you are interested in knowing how to remove duplicate photos using the duplicate photo remover tool.
3. Easy Duplicate File Finder
Easy Duplicate File finder is a little advanced tool compared to the aforementioned tools. However, pricing is almost 40 dollars, which is too high compared to the other tools we tested. The key feature of this tool is it can find duplicate files on your cloud storage drives. The tool also provides the entire report of what file type is common among all the found duplicates.
- Easy user interface
- Highly accurate
- You can also define additional file types, max, and minimum file sizes
- Provides you with full resolution preview images
- Segments the files based file type
- You can also save the scan session
- The tool is slow while scanning
- This duplicate file remover program finds duplicates with great accuracy. But, it is very expensive for the provided functionalities of just finding the duplicate files.
4. Duplicate Cleaner
Duplicate cleaner is a really advanced tool. It has all the dedicated options, image mode, and music mode. You can find additional options such as the same file type, same size, file extension. Even after scanning the drive, you can find that the tool offers many additional features that will make removing duplicate files easy.
- Dedicated modes to find Photos and Musing duplicate files
- Really accurate and performs byte to byte comparison
- User can mark bulk duplicate files based on created date, modified date, file size, text pattern
- It comes with a dedicated audio player to play audio files before deleting them.
- Complicated interface, a novice user cannot use the tool
- Provided options are complicated to understand
- Scan options are tucked inside and hard to find
Interface: Minimalist and rustic
Xyplorer is the most advanced duplicate finder in the bunch, and also the most complicated to use. The tool is more like a file manager rather than a duplicate file remover since a duplicate file finder is one of the options that come with the tool. The tool uses MD5 and byte by byte comparison to scanning for duplicate files. However, this tool is not for regular users. You can also program custom commands and alter the files on your computer. Hence, if you want just a tool to find the duplicate files, then this one is overkill.
- This is an advanced or holistic tool to manage entire data stored on your computer
- 30 days evaluation period
- The fastest scan times
- Xyplorer is not suggested for everyday usage but choosing this tool will also give you a lot of functionalities that will help you efficiently manage entire computer data.
- Highly complicated to use
- It’s really hard to find the duplicate finder option
Comparison of 5 Best Duplicate File Remover:
|User Interface||Scan Modes||Algorithms||Platforms||
|Remo Duplicate File Remover||Refined and Minimalistic||No modes||MD5 Hash Algorithm||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS||Can classify the duplicate files based on file format & Preview of duplicate files|
|Wise Duplicate Finder||Minimalist and rustic||3 Modes||Match File size and File Name Partial Match Exact Match||Windows||Can find empty files|
|Easy Duplicate File Finder||Easy||No scan modes||SHA256||Windows, Mac||Can find duplicates on Cloud drives|
|Duplicate Cleaner||Advanced||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows||Bulk marking the duplicate file before deleting|
|Xyplorer||Advanced and complicated||No scan modes||MD5 and Byte to Byte||Windows,||Finding duplicates is one feature among all other features|
Hopefully, this article has given you a complete understanding of the best duplicate file finder for you and your system or storage drive. You can use the Remo Duplicate File Remover tool if you are looking for the most efficient user interface to remove duplicate files instantly. It also provides you flawless results by implementing byte to byte comparison. Overall, Remo is the best duplicate file finder tool for users who just want to get rid of duplicate files in the least possible time. Since the tool is available in both versions, you can also remove duplicate files on Mac.
Your charts of comparisons are very useful
It can find duplicates based on the same name, size, CRC, or comparing byte by byte.
Can find duplicate directories too!
Many filters so you scan only the files you want.