In this piece of content, you are going to find 5 best SD card recovery tools for Mac and Windows. All these tools are shortlisted after intense testing scenarios. The best SD card recovery tool has been derived by comparing aspects such as price point, platforms available on, supported file formats, and finally real-time data loss scenarios. The test cases involved deleted file recovery on SD cards to recovering data from corrupted or damaged SD card.
SD card might be the only storage drive that can be used on almost all the devices. Such as Mobile phones, cameras, computers, watches, and SD cards are even used in medical diagnostic equipment. Just by looking at the range of devices where the SD card is used, says how crucial and critical data stored on the SD card can be.
At the same time, the SD card is also most vulnerable to data loss, data can vanish in a matter of seconds. Situations like clicking on format accidentally when switching between devices are very common. In almost every situation solution is SD card recovery software and obviously, anyone would want the best one there is.
5 Best SD card Recovery Softwares.
- Remo SD Card Recovery Software
- Free Any Photo Recovery
- Alsoft Disk Warrior – Hidden Gem
Remo Memory Card Recovery Software
Price ranging from $39.97 to $99.97 (based on edition) Remo has taken the top spot for best file recovery software for SD card. This is the only tool in the list which is a one-time buy and lifetime validity. You don’t need to renew the tool every year like other tools in the list demand.
Additionally, Remo can detect over 300 file formats and ensures to recover almost all file formats. Further, Remo has an option that allows users to define unfamiliar or custom file formats. This can be a significant advantage to the users who deal with unfamiliar file formats or, to the users who work with usual devices such as medical equipment or geographical survey hardware.
Coming to testing scenarios, it showed a 100% success rate even in the most complicated data loss scenarios such as corrupted SD card, unallocated partition, and even formatted SD cards. Since SD cards majorly used on digital cameras, Remo included a dedicated photo recovery option to recover digital cameras.
- Available on both Mac and Windows versions (Also compatible with the latest Big Sur)
- Streamlined UI
- Integrated with a Deep Scan and Smart Scan options to tackle most complicated data loss scenarios on SD card
- Dedicated photo recovery option makes it the best software to recover photos from SD card
- 24/7 customer support
- Supports NTFS, FAT32, ExFAT, APFS, HFS, HFS+ so that users can recover SD card on Mac
- Highly recommended for everyday users such as photographers, digital content creators, and personal with less technical expertise.
- Long scan durations (based on scenario and hardware)
- Requires more time to restore the data.
- Few options are hidden and hard to find
PhotoRec Data Recovery Software
PhotoRec is a free SD card recovery software. However, being free and open-source also means you will not be having any customer assistance.
However, the main reason for PhotRec to be part of the best SD recovery software is because of its versatility. PhotoRec works on the MS-Dos platform. It means that PhotRec is compatible with almost all the computer operating systems on earth, that include Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, and even Solaris OS.
PhotoRec has two interfaces, graphical UI and MS-Dos UI. The tool is highly technical and detailed; it can even display individual storage sectors on the MS-Dos UI. In comparison to its commercial competitors, it is complicated to use. You need to be tech-savvy to navigate through this software.
- Free to use for a lifetime
- Can recover any kind of file from any kind of data loss scenario
- Seamlessly works in almost all the environments
- Supports all file systems
- Highly technical
- Highly technical so highly complex to use
- Not recommended for everyday users
- No customer support
- Since it is a free tool your data can be at risk
Free Any Photo Recovery
Free Any Photo Recovery, as the name suggests this free SD card recovery software. Even though it clearly is a digital media recovery software it claims to be on the top SD card recovery software.
It might not be the best software to recover files from the SD card but, it has a comprehensive set of options to recover photos from SD card. It has a dedicated window especially to select the RAW photo formats from the digital cameras. It includes all RAW photo formats from all digital camera brands. Along with photos, Any Photo Recovery software can also recover videos files
Tool has a few performance issues such as longer scan times. It also limps while recovering files in critical data loss conditions.
- Completely free to use
- Self-Explanatory UI
- Dedicated Photo recovery windows, the best tool to recover photos from SD card
- Highly recommended for Photographers.
- Can only recover Photo and Videos
- Really long scan durations
- Customer support only available through email
Coming from the house of CCleaner, a highly recognizable brand, and pricing at $24.95 Recuva is the cheapest option available on the list. Yet, it is a subscription-based service, you have to renew it every year.
Coming to the performance, Recuva performed well while recovering the deleted images and files. However, the performance of Recuva is not on par with others while recovering from complicated data loss scenarios. While scanning the drive it is displaying the number of files found, yet files are not available in the recovery window.
Consolidating the experiences, Recuva can be the best SD card recovery software to recover deleted or lost files from the SD card.
- The simplest user interface, really easy to use.
- Best performing SD card recovery software at its price point
- Can recover all file formats
- Fastest Scan times
- Not available in Mac version
- Cannot perform in complex data loss scenarios
- Sluggish customer support team
Stellar Data Recovery Software
Pricing at 79.95, comparatively stellar might seem to a decent option, but you have to realize even it is subscription-based. Not considering the price factor, Stellar can be called the best SD recovery software. The user interface is highly intuitive and easy to use.
Performance is comparable to Remo. The tool completely streamlines the recovery process. If the normal scan doesn’t work, Stellar automatically kicks in the advanced scan. Advanced Scan option is more meticulous while scanning for lost data on the SD card.
Similar to Remo, Stellar also compatible with all file systems and ensures to detect of almost all file formats. It also has a good customer assistance team.
- Works flawlessly in all data loss scenarios
- Available on both Mac and Windows versions (not clear about Big Sur)
- Highly Streamlines UI
- Does not segregate the deleted or lost files from the existing files after recovering
- Only one-year subscription
- All the files that show up as recoverable are actually not recoverable
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.