“The Recycle Bin is corrupted do you want to empty?”
These sort of errors on Recycle Bin indicated Bin corruption. Such errors doesn’t allow you to delete any file or folder on your computer, Recycle Bin may not show your deleted files or you may fail to empty Bin. You need to deal with it in a proper way to make the Bin function normally. Here we will give details on reasons for Recycle Bin corruption and easy troubleshooting methods to fix it.
How Did Recycle Bin Get Corrupted?
There are various reasons due to which your Recycle Bin gets corrupted. Out of all, few common causes are listed here.
- Long length system crashes or freezes
- Hard disk having insufficient space
- Un-updated or incompatible BIOS
- Wrongly configured, damaged, corrupted, or outdated drivers
- Corrupted or damaged system files/services
- Faulty third party applications
- Unsuccessful updates
How to Fix Corrupted Recycle Bin?
Method 1: via CMD
- Go to Start
- Select All Programs and choose Accessories
- Right-click on Command Prompt
- Opt run cmd as administrator
- Type rd /s /q C: \$Recycle.bin and press Enter
Note: Repeat the last step by replacing C with rest of your drive / partition letters and then reboot your computer.
In case, if above method fails to fix the corrupted recycle bin, then use sfc /scannow instead of rd /s /q C: \$Recycle.bin code in Command Prompt.
Method 2. Reinstall the Recycle Bin
- Open Control Panel
- Switch to File Explorer
- Opt View tab
- Uncheck system protected operating files
- Open each drive/partition
- You will see bin and recycle.bin (permissions)
- Delete permissions on each drive
- Restart the computer
- Right-click on Desktop
- Choose Personalize option
- Click on Themes
- Select Desktop Icon settings from Related Settings
- Select the checkbox Recycle Bin
- Click on Apply button and then tap OK
Now, Recycle Bin will be reset and you can access the files in your Recycle bin. However, in this process some of your files from Recycle bin may get erased. No worries, use Remo Recover Software to get back all your files. It will even restore pictures from Recycle Bin with other generic & media files. It is better to act before you lose your important data.