When you say photos deleted from an SD card, it could be from any device. Such as a camera, DLSR, camcorder, android phone, Windows computer, Mac system, or drone. If you are looking for a way to restore your deleted photos, you need not worry! In this article, we have covered different methods to restore deleted photos from SD card on various devices.
Is it Really Possible to Retrieve deleted Photos from an SD card?
Yes. It is possible to recover deleted or formatted photos from the SD card. If you are wondering how, whenever you delete files from the SD card, the files, be they pictures, videos or anything will not be permanently deleted. They just become inaccessible before getting overwritten by new data. Therefore, you can easily recover deleted SD card photos using a reliable photo recovery tool.
But to recover deleted photos from SD card or micro SD card, make sure you avoid using the card further. This is to prevent overwriting of the card. Adding any new photos or files to it can make it difficult to restore your deleted photos.
Methods to Recover deleted Photos from SD card
1. Recover Photos from SD card using Microsoft Windows File Recovery tool (For Free)
Download and install the Windows File Recovery tool from Microsoft Store. And follow the below-mentioned steps to recover deleted photos from the SD card:
Important Note: This free-to-use recovery tool is available only for the latest versions of Windows (Windows 10 version 19041.0 or higher) and involves using the command prompt Window. If you are not well versed with these commands it is recommended not to use this method as it might lead to permanent loss of photos.
Steps to recover deleted photos from SD card on Windows:
- Connect the SD from which you want to recover deleted photos onto your computer
- Type Windows File Recovery in the search bar and click on Windows File Recovery.
- In the command prompt window, enter the following command:
winfr source-drive: destination-drive: [/mode] [/switches]
for example, winfr D: C: /x /y:JPEG,PNG
Note: Here I am specifying that I want to recover data from the D drive which is my SD card and store them on the C drive. I am making use of signature mode (/x) and (/y) to specify the file types that I want to recover.
- Next, you will be prompted for a confirmation, Enter Y to start the recovery process.
- After completion of the recovery process, verify if you have recovered deleted photos from the SD card in your destination folder.
If you were not able to recover deleted photos from the SD card with the help of Windows File Recovery you can go ahead to the next step.
Note: If you are using earlier versions of Windows, don’t worry you can go ahead and use a much safer photo recovery software to get back your photos from SD cards.
2. Restore Deleted Photos from SD card using SD card Recovery tool (Safe and Quick Recovery)
Utilize Remo Recover which is an efficient SD card recovery software to get back deleted photos, raw images, and videos. With its advanced recovery programs, the tool makes it easier to find photos from every sector of the SD card or any other storage device like an SSD, USB, or external HDD.
To recover deleted photos from the SD card:
- Download and install the Remo Recover tool on your Windows.
- Connect the SD card to the computer, and launch the application.
- From the main screen, select the SD card from which you want to recover deleted photos, and click on Scan.
- This will initiate the scanning process, after completion of the scanning process the tool will list all your recovered data.
- Now, you can use the Advanced Filter option to find out deleted photos based on various filters like File Type, Date Modified, etc.
- You can also double-click on any photo to Preview it for free. If you are satisfied with the recovery result, select the photos which you want to get back and click on the Recover button.
3. Restore deleted Pictures from SD card (For Mac Users)
To recover deleted photos from an SD card on Mac, download and install SD card Recovery Software for Mac and follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Connect the SD card and launch Remo Recover Mac software.
- Click on Recover photos and on the next screen choose between Recover Deleted Photos and Recover Lost Photos.
- Now select the SD card from the list of drives to recover deleted photos and click on Scan
- After completion of the scanning process, you can preview the recovered photos from SD card
- If you are satisfied with the recovery process, activate the tool and Save the deleted photos to the desired location.
4. Recover deleted photos from an SD card (For Android Users)
To recover photos from the micro-SD card on Android you might need to back up and sync your photographs to cloud backup apps like Google Photos on your phone, Dropbox, or Microsoft One Drive on your computer. If you have any of these apps you can easily retrieve your deleted SD card photos.
A) Dropbox, for starters:
Dropbox is the most widely used backup application for safeguarding your vital files. To retrieve deleted images from your computer, you must first log in to Dropbox. Once you launch it, navigate to the File > Deleted Files folder, you'll be able to see all of your deleted files and photographs and recover them. They are, nevertheless, accessible for 30 days after deletion.
B) Google Photos:
You can restore deleted images on Android phones using Google Photos. Open it and go to the sidebar's Trash folder. To get your images back, select each image you want to recover and click "Restore." For the next 60 days, all of these erased files will remain accessible.
C) Microsoft OneDrive:
If you're backing up your images using Microsoft OneDrive, open it and navigate to Me > Recycle Bin. Select your photos from the destroyed files list and click the Restore icon. For the next 30 days, all of your erased data and photographs will be available.
If you haven't backed up or synced any of your data to the cloud. When data is lost, you can still recover your deleted images from the Android SD card using Remo Photo Recovery Software if the phone has an external SD card.
Accidentally deleting photos from SD card is a common data loss scenario. As mentioned earlier in the article, pictures deleted from SD cards or lost due to corruption can be restored quickly. Hence, the key to successful photo recovery from an SD card is to stop using the card immediately. And use reliable methods or tools like Remo Recover Software to restore files easily.