What will you do Right after a Data Loss Incident?
You just have to face it! The disaster has already happened and all your important documents, pictures or media collection seem to be gone. With this data loss incident, you will be distressed and worried about what to do next. When people face such situations, they tend to create blunder by performing stupid activities like restoring the systems etc. are you aware that these activities would lead to permanent loss of all those lost data. So, what should one do after losing the data? To know the details just read on.
Here are the very basic steps that should be taken right after any data loss scenario. You will find a list of do’s and don’ts to be noted and followed as soon as the disaster strikes. Have a look at these precautionary measures:
- Stay calm and note down all the activities you performed on the system for further usage
- Take back-up immediately when you recognize any unusual change in drive / system
- Check all the power and data connections of the drive
- If the data loss happened from an external drive, try connecting it to another working machine and test its working
- Even after performing these steps you are unable to access your data then just stop working on the drive
- If the drive is making clicking / grinding noise, turn off the system immediately
- Avoid using the affected computer as far as possible to avoid permanent deletion of data
- Analyze the nature of data loss, i.e. to check whether the data loss has occurred due to a physical or logical error.
- Don’t heat OR freeze the hard drive this can cause further damage to the drive, making the data irrecoverable
- Don’t purposely hit the hard drive or tap it, as that may displace the HDD head which leads to head crash
- Don’t defrag or run the recovery Disk shipped with your laptop / desktop as by doing so, the inaccessible part of the drive can be ignored forever by the system, leading to permanently loosing data from those places.
- Don’t forcibly play a clicking or non-responsive disk
- Don’t browse the internet on the troubled system, because browsers save cache to your disk
- Don’t copy or add new files or install any new program to that disk from where your lost data as that can overwrite the inaccessible data beyond the scope of recovery
- If your hard disk is physically damaged never open it
The above mentioned are precautionary measures to be followed soon after you lose data, else your data will be gone forever. This is because, even after you lose them, they will still be present on your disk and are always in recoverable state. But, never try to manually rescue them using hasty manner, this will worsen the situation. Instead, it is better to make use of good recovery software like Remo Recover software and get back your lost data easily. In any instance of data deletion, corruption or inaccessibility, this tool would easily get back all your data. In addition, it is the best tool to perform Toshiba Canvio deleted partition recovery on all versions of Windows OS in few simple clicks.