Image Source: Dreamytricks
MKV files are also called as Matroksa Video files. This file type is as similar as .AVI, .ASF and .MOV multimedia container file formats. MKV files are not supported by all type of media players. So a need arises to convert the MKV files to any other commonly used video file format.
This file does not act as an audio or video compression format. Components with different type of encoding can be merged into a MKV video container. This type of functioning is not possible in any other type of file container.
MKV file extensions are MKV for video (with or without subtitle/audio), .MK3D for stereoscopic video, .MKA for audio-only files and .MKS for subtitles.
Features of MKV multimedia container:
- MKV are open source multimedia container
- You can embed subtitles in the audio files instead of separate .srt file
- In MKV video file you can also turn off the soft subtitles which is not possible in AVI
- Different encoded files can be used in single container. For example, a MKV file can contain H.264 video, a MP3 audio track and a subtitle.
- You can store unlimited number of video, audio, images and subtitles into a single file
Best MKV media player:
VLC developed by VideoLAN is the best suitable media player for .MKV files among other media players supporting mkv file. VLC is the default choice for MKV, because no codec needs to be downloaded to play this file type. VLC opens MKV file in Windows, MAC and android devices.
How to open MKV using VLC media player:
Step 1: Right click on MKV video file
Step 2: Select Open with VLC media player and mark it as default
Another way is, open the VLC player and from file menu choose Open and select the MKV file
If your VLC player is not playing MKV video and HD videos update VLC codec, restart VLC and play MKV file
In recent times Microsoft released a native support for MKV file by default Windows 10. But sometimes MKV files are not played in Windows media player due to missing MKV codecs. If MKV is not played in Windows media player users either have an option to install mkv codec or to convert unplayable mkv to mp4 file.
Which is better MKV vs MP4?
- Both MKV and MP4 are multimedia container formats
- MKV supports FLAC audios and ASS/SSA subtitles. But MP4 does not support
- MP4 are supported by all the video editing software.
- MP4 can be played using all type of media players. But MKV can be played by VLC and other rarely used media players.
Open source and high quality videos major pros of MKV files, but according to compatibility MP4 have an added advantage among the users.
So most of the users are looking for an easiest method to convert MKV file to MP4 file. We recommend you the following safe and secure method to convert MKV to MP4 file. But due conversion issues you will get an unplayable mp4 file as an Output.
How to convert mkv to mp4 without losing video quality?
The best way to convert your MKV is by using VLC media player. This media player act as an MKV converter for free. Conversion can be completed in few simple steps.
Step 1: Open VLC media player and from Main menu select Convert / Save
Step 2: Using Add option under File Tab open the MKV file
Step 3: If you wish to add a subtitle to the video, Check Use a subtitle file and browse the file
Step 4: Now again select Convert/Save at the bottom. A dialogue box is shown as below
Step 5: Select profile as “Video – H.265 + MP3 (MP4)”
Step 6: Under profile section select settings and do the following steps
- In encapsulation section Check MP4/MOV
- Under video codec check both “Video” and “Keep original track”
- Similarly check both “Audio” and “Keep original track” under Audio codec
- Save the changes
Step 7: Use Browse option to select the destination folder to save the Output file
Step 8: Now start the conversion process by clicking “Start”
Your file is successfully converted from MKV to MP4 file by using VLC media player
Disadvantages of Converting MKV to MP4:
- Converting high quality MKV to MP4 leads to loss in video quality
- Due to improper conversion procedure, you will get a corrupted MP4 output file. So you need a mp4 video repair tool
- Output file audio and video might not sync.
- You may face trouble in playing embedded subtitle in output MP4 file.