No doubt photos are crucial and there is nothing more painful than losing them. But many of us tend to lose photos on Windows or Mac either due to accidental deletion or technical errors. Fortunately, finding lost photos on a computer is not so complicated after all. Just scroll down and refer to this article to know real-time scenarios that result in the loss of photos and how easy it is to find and recover them.
Table of Content:
- Why did my pictures disappear from my computer?
- Scenario 1: Accidental or intentional causes.
- Scenario 2: Technical errors.
- How to Restore Lost Pictures on a Computer?
A) Recover Lost photos Using CMD
B) Find Lost Photos in Recycle Bin
C) Recover Lost Photos using Remo Recover
D) Recover Lost Photos without software
Why did my pictures disappear from my computer?
There are various reasons that can lead to photo loss on PC. But we have divided them into two major scenarios. This is just to make you easily understand the reasons behind how someone can lose photos on the computer.
Scenario 1: Accidental or intentional causes
- Mistakenly deleted photos on PC.
- Photos lost after formatting the hard drive.
- Permanently deleted photos with no backup.
- Emptied Recycle Bin or Trash.
Scenario 2: Technical errors
How to Restore Lost Pictures on a Computer?
1. Recover lost Photos using CMD
(Recommended if you want to find lost photos after interruptions or from a corrupt drive)
Before initiating this process remember that using CMD to find lost photos might be risky. Due to the fact that making any mistakes will permanently erase the data. If you are a novice user, you can directly make use of the best photo recovery software like Remo Recover. It can help you securely recover lost photos under various data loss scenarios in a few clicks.
The instructions on recovering lost pictures using CMD are mentioned below.
- Go to Start and search for cmd
- Right-click on cmd and select Run as administrator
- In the cmd window, type the command chkdsk ‘disk letter’ /f and press Enter
Eg: chkdsk D: /f (D is a disk letter from where I want to find lost photos)
- Type letter Y and press Enter
- Type the “drive letter” and press Enter
- Finally, enter the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and press Enter key
- Now, wait till the process completes and check your drive to find recovered photos in a newly created folder
With the help of this method, you can repair hard drive errors and recover lost photos. Under any circumstances, if this technique does not work for you, scroll down and use the below methods.
2. Find Lost Photos in Recycle Bin
(Recommended if you have accidentally deleted photos)
This method will help you recover lost photos from your PC that you have unknowingly deleted. On Windows PC, Recycle Bin is a folder that saves a copy of any deleted file or photo. Using this folder, you can locate all your lost pictures and restore them to their previous locations.
- Open Recycle Bin.
- Find and select the lost photos that you want to recover.
- Right-click on the selected lost photos.
- Click the Restore option.
In case, if you have not found your deleted photos on Recycle Bin, then this could be due to permanent data loss scenario. In such cases, utilize the below reliable method.
Note: If you have lost your photos from a Mac computer or MacBook, read this write-up to know how to get back photos from Mac Trash.
3. Recover Lost Photos using Remo Recover software
(Highly Recommended under various data loss scenarios like permanent deletion, formatting, corruption, lost pictures due to interruptions, etc.)
Utilize Remo Photo Recovery software to restore lost images within a few clicks. Integrated with advanced scan engines, this software can easily detect and recover more than 300 media formats such as photos (JPEG, PNG, GIF), raw images, videos, audio files, and many more. With the help of its Deep Scan option, you can perform sector-by-sector scanning and restore lost photos from corrupt, formatted, or inaccessible drives.