No doubt photos are crucial and there is nothing more painful than losing them. But many of us tend to lose photos on Windows or Mac either due to accidental deletion or technical errors. Fortunately, finding lost photos on a computer is not so complicated after all. Just scroll down and refer to this article to know real-time scenarios that result in the loss of photos and how easy it is to find and recover them.
Why did my pictures disappear from my computer?
There are various reasons that can lead to photo loss on PC. But we have divided them into two major scenarios. This is just to make you easily understand the reasons behind how someone can lose photos on computer.
Scenario 1: Accidental or intentional causes
- Accidentally/ permanently deleted photos.
- Photos lost due to formatting the drive.
- Lost photos while transferring to another device.
- Emptied Recycle Bin or Trash.
Scenario 2: Technical errors
- Saved photos on corrupted drive
- Forced ejection of SD card from the digital camera
- Photos lost from damaged hard drive
- Photos lost after system restore or factory reset
How to Recover Lost Photos?
1. Find Lost Photos in Recycle Bin
(Recommended if you have accidentally deleted photos)
The first place to look for your lost photos on computer is Recycle Bin since it saves a copy of the deleted photos on PC. This method will help you find lost photos that you have deleted unknowingly.
Open Recycle Bin > Find and select the lost photos that you want to recover > Right-click on the selected lost photos and click the Restore option.
After you restore deleted photos from Recycle bin, then you can find them at the exact location where they previously existed. In case, if you have not found your lost photos, then refer to the next method.
Note: If you have lost your photos from a Mac computer or MacBook, read this write-up to know how to get back photos from Mac Trash.
2. Recover Lost Photos using Remo Recover software
(Highly Recommended under various data loss scenarios like permanent deletion, formatting, corruption, lost pictures due to interruptions, etc.)
Utilize Remo Photo Recovery software to restore lost images within a few clicks. Integrated with advanced scan engines, this software can easily detect and recover more than 300 media formats such as photos (JPEG, PNG, GIF), raw images, videos, audio files, and many more. With the help of its Deep Scan option, you can perform sector-by-sector scanning and restore lost photos from corrupt, formatted, or inaccessible drives.
Steps to Recover lost photos:
- Download and install Remo Recover software on your computer
- From the main screen select the Recover Photos option
- You can see Storage Devices and Partitions/ Volumes connected to the computer
- Select the device from which you want to recover lost photos and click on Scan
- The data recovery software will scan and display recovered lost pictures or images
- Take advantage of the preview option and check the files are intact or not
- Select the recovered lost pictures and click on the Save button
- Mention the location where you want to save the recovered lost images
Additionally, This process not only recovers deleted photos, lost images due to formatting but also restores pictures that became inaccessible due to technical errors. Still, if you feel like going through the struggle of repairing the storage drive please refer to the next section.
3. Recover Lost photos Using CMD
(Recommended if you want to find lost photos from a corrupt drive)
Before initiating this process remember that using CMD to find lost photos might be risky. Due to the fact that making any mistakes will permanently erase the data. If you are a novice user it is strongly suggested to stick with the previous section. Remo is the best photo recovery software to help you securely recover lost photos in a few clicks. The instructions on recovering lost pictures using CMD are mentioned below.
- Go to Start and search for cmd
- Right-click on cmd and select Run as administrator
- In the cmd window, type the command chkdsk ‘disk letter’ /f and press Enter
Eg: chkdsk D : /f (D is a disk letter from where I want to find lost photos)
- Type letter Y and press Enter
- Type the “drive letter” and press Enter
- Finally, enter the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and press Enter key
- Now, wait till the process completes and check your drive to find recovered photos in a newly created folder
With the help of this method, you can repair hard drive errors and recover lost photos. Under any circumstances, if this technique does not work for you, go back to the previous section for a much easier and secure process.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.