Stop code FAT file system Error Code 0x00000023, or simply known as blue screen of death may occur very abruptly and can leave you helpless. However, there isn’t just one cause for this error. To resolve 0x00000023 FAT file system error without losing any data please go through the later sections. Adhered with instructions the following information will illustrate why this error is caused and how to fix it.
Probable situations that cause FAT file system stop code error 0x00000023
This error is a result of a damaged FAT file system that is caused due to the following reasons:
- Bad sectors on a hard drive.
- Damaged or corrupted FAT File System registry
- Abrupt powering down of the computer
- Malware or Virus infecting the FAT file system
- Missing DLL or SYS files
Once you encounter the 0x00000023 error, you will face two scenarios:
- Abrupt shutdowns: The operating system will face abrupt shutdowns but you will be able to boot up the computer only for an instant.
- The operating system will completely crash
If you were able to boot into the operating system, your first priority should be taking a backup of the hard drive. In case of a no boot scenario, please follow the next section to recover data from the hard drive with FAT file system stop error.
How to Recover Data from a Hard Drive with FAT file system stop error
When a Hard Drive encounters “0x00000023” or “FAT file system stop error” it becomes inaccessible. Fortunately, there is a way you can recover data from the storage drive encountered with 0x00000023 error is through a professional Hard Drive Recovery software such as Remo Recover. When a storage drive’s file system is corrupted Remo Recover will act as an interface to access storage drives data and recover it on to a healthy storage drive.
But in this case, since the storage drive becomes unbootable, you can download and install Remo Recover on a healthy computer.
Now connect the hard drive with FAT error using a SATA to USB adapter later follow the mentioned instructions.
- Launch Remo Recover and select Recover Partition
- Remo Recover will list the storage drives connected to the computer
- Identify the Storage Drive affected with FATfile system stop error through the size of the drive
- Click on the listed drive to see the drive size at the bottom of the window
- After identifying the drive select it and click on Scan
- After scanning software will load the partitions available on the storage drive
- Select the partition and click on the Scan button
- Once the scanning is done storage will load the recoverable data
- Select the files you want to recover and click on the Save to complete the recovery process
Now that you have successfully recovered and safeguarded your data, proceed to fix the FAT file system stop code 0x00000023.
Instructions to Fix the FAT file system stop code 0x00000023
If you are able to boot into computer OS, you can fix “FAT file system stop code error” through settings.
- Click on Start and search for settings.
- Open settings window and click on Update and Security.
- From the right side menu, bar select Recovery
- In the Recovery menu, you will find two options
- Reset this PC
- Advanced setup
- Under advance setup, you will find the restart button, click on it and follow the mentioned path
- Troubleshoot> Advanced Options > Command prompt. Click on Command prompt
- You will be presented with a black screen, type chkdsk C:/f and hit Enter. This will check your disk for errors and fixes anything it finds. After completion, you will receive a status message.
- Then type ‘exit’. This will exit from the console and restart your computer. Remove the installation CD and you should have your computer working again.
In case error still exists you need to format and install the OS once again. Since you have already made a backup of your data, you can proceed to format and install your hard drive with a new OS.
If the error 0x00000023 is resolved please move on to the next section.
Update your drivers
Drivers are responsible for the smooth performance of the computer. Keeping your drivers updated will patch existing flaws that result in 0x00000023 error. Driver updates are automatically installed with Windows update. If you have not enabled automatically install Windows updates, it is highly recommended you do so. To update the drivers manually, follow the steps here.
- Select the Start button and search for Device Manager
- Find your device and right-click on it
- Select Update driver
- If this doesn’t work, you can also reinstall your drivers.
Remove external hardware
Sometimes, hardware may be the issue. Disconnect any additional hardware like printers or additional monitors and check if the problem is resolved.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.