My Smartphone which has a residing SD card is corrupted. Hence, I removed it from my Smartphone and connected it to my Windows 10 operating system, and tried to run CHKDSK from Command Prompt to fix this SD card, but I came across a “cannot open volume for direct access” error. What is this error about and how do I fix the error?
If you have encountered the “cannot open volume for direct access” error on your SD card and other storage device, this article is for you. In this read-up you will learn about the error, causes, and effective solutions to fix them. Before moving ahead with details, let us first understand more about the error.
What does Cannot open volume for Direct Access mean?
Cannot open volume for direct access is an common error associated with corrupt SD card, USB and hard-drives. This error occurs due to DBR corruption or any physical damage to your storage device. The corruption can be easily fixed by following the solutions given in the section below.
Causes for Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access error?
- DBR corruption – DBR is the first sector of the Master Boot Record, DBR contains everything that is required to boot the operating system. Hence, if the DBR is corrupted this error is commonly encountered.
- Physical Damage – The probable reason behind this error could be physical damage, storage devices are vulnerable and damage could result in the error
Note – In case of physical damage in the following methods might not work if your SD card is not recognized while connected to the Windows operating system.
In the coming section below, we will guide you through hassle-free solutions on how to fix the cannot open volume for direct access to your SD card, USB or hard-drive.
To fix the cannot open volume for direct access error in SD card, USB or hard drive follow the solutions given in the section below
Note - All the methods mentioned here involve operations that lead to data loss. Try recovering your data with Remo Data Recovery software
- Open This PC.
- Right-click the device or SD card/ USB/ partition you need to format.
- Choose Format.
- Choose a new file system and set up the remaining options.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Go to This PC > Manage > Disk Management.
- Right-click the SD card, or any storage device that you want to format and click Format.
- Set up the options and start the formatting process.
- Press Windows + R and enter msconfig.
- In the System Configuration window, switch to the Services tab.
- Check Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all > Apply > OK.
- Then go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- Click each item and choose Disable.
- Restart your computer and run CHKDSK again.
Note - Check this info if in case CHKDSK command deleted your files.
After following the above-listed methods, you will be able to resolve the cannot error in your Storage device. During the process of implementing these methods, you might encounter a data loss scenario due to formatting your storage device.
Once you have successfully formatted the storage device, the next step is to recover your lost data from the storage device. For this you will need a reliable data recovery tool like Remo Recover to retrieve the lost data from storage devices effortlessly. The tool is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
Remo Recover is the best data recovery software to recover data from your formatted storage device after fixing the chkdsk error. The tool can easily recover photos, videos, or any other file format. Download the tool for free now!
This article emphasizes on what chkdsk cannot open volume for direct access error is and what you should be doing to fix this error and regain access to your storage device. This error can be fatal for your data if you do not recover your data with the help of Remo Recover after fixing the error like mentioned in the article.
In future, if you’ve encountered such situations, it is always suggested that you must keep backup of your important data even if they are stored on portable devices
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.