Stuntmen, adventurers, hobbyists, artists, photographers; every one of them has a different way of using a GoPro. When recording GoPro videos, since it is an action camera a lot of things can go wrong.
This is the reason why a feature called SOS has been introduced on GoPro cameras. Damage or corruption while recording can be a mishap, it can ruin your perfect moment.
Listed are the quick ways you can do to fix and repair corrupted GoPro videos.
Why do GoPro videos get corrupted?
GoPro videos get corrupted either while recording or after recording the videos. Here are the possible causes why your GoPro Video might be corrupted
- Your recorded videos might be incomplete, which means your GoPro camera might have stopped recording the video mid-way.
- This usually happens when you don’t have enough space in the SD card or if the camera has abruptly shut down while recording
- If you have tried to edit the GoPro MP4 videos using an unreliable editing tool, the file could be corrupted. This can result in videos that have no sound, choppy or blurry video track, audio-video sync problem, etc.
- Due to the incompatibility of the SD card, you might find an SD card error on the GoPro camera. In which case your GoPro videos won’t play properly
- Even if your GoPro camera works fine, sometimes you might find the GoPro MP4 videos not playing either on the GoPro camera, computer, smartphones or any other device.
Pro Tip: Now the first thing you need when your GoPro Hero or Karma drone is crashed is to restart the camera. This will initiate the camera to checks for videos that have damaged during the crash. Soon the SOS icon pops on the LCD screen. Press any button on the camera or the plus symbols so that the device can start fixing the videos.
Additional Tip: Click on the link, if you want to learn how to repair DJI video files with ease.
How do I Fix Corrupted GoPro Videos?
You can fix corrupted or damaged GoPro videos in two possible ways. One is by making use of the SOS feature and the other by using a GoPro video repair tool. Both methods will help you repair the corrupted files.
However, if you have already tried repairing the GoPro MP4 video with the SOS feature, but still unable to play the file, go ahead with the solution mentioned in the second method below.
Repair the Corrupted GoPro video with in-built SOS feature
The GoPro camera displays SOS on its LCD screen, which indicates that the camera has found a problem in one of the files.
Usually, this in-built feature repairs all the videos that are left unindexed due to interruption while recording. It indexes the video with a proper header so that the video can be accessed and played.
- To initiate the repair process, you just have to press any button on the camera when the message is displayed.
- If you were unable to get the message, turn off the camera and remove the SD card from the camera.
- Now, reinsert the SD card and wait for few seconds for the camera to scan the storage and find the faulty video.
Note: This method may not help you fix GoPro videos that are freezing, choppy, or with other video problems. You would have to use a GoPro Repair tool for this job.
When your GoPro video is corrupted there can be issues such as videos with no sound, choppy video output, etc. Every issue needs a different approach to fix the problem. Luckily, with Remo Video Repair software, you can fix the video regardless of the corruption. This tool uses a healthy video file as a reference and repairs the corrupted file. You can make use of the software to repair videos on all the models including the latest GoPro Hero 9. Download and try the tool for free now.
Fix Corrupted GoPro Videos Using Video Repair Tool.
Download and install the Remo Video Repair tool and follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Launch the application, click on Select File and choose the corrupted GoPro Video
Step 2: Now, click on the Choose Reference MOV file button and select a video that was shot on the same GoPro camera
Step 3: Click on Repair to start fixing the corrupt GoPro video
Step 4: After completion of the repair process, double-click on the file to Preview and validate the video
Step 5: Finally, click on Save and browse for a location to save the repaired GoPro file
The information provided in this article is the safest way to fix GoPro videos. You might as well try repairing the corrupted video with a VLC player, which can fix corruption under certain cases but involves a small percentage of risk as VLC operates directly on the original file.
To avoid any such disaster in the future, make sure you have charged the device sufficiently and free up enough space for a new video. If you have any queries regarding the solutions, kindly reply in the comment section below.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.