GoPro has been a handy device for Stuntmen, adventurers, influencers, artists, photographers; every one of them has a different way of using a GoPro. When recording GoPro videos, since it is an action camera a lot of things can go wrong.
This is the reason why a feature called SOS has been introduced on GoPro cameras. Damage or corruption while recording can be a mishap, it can ruin your perfect moment.
So if you are one of those frustrated users who has encountered your GoPro video being corrupted or inaccessible, this article is for you.
How to Fix Corrupted GoPro Videos?
- Repair GoPro videos using VLC media player
- Fix GoPro videos using SOS built feature
- Repair GoPro videos using Remo Video Repair tool
Pro Tip: Now the first thing you need when your GoPro Hero or Karma drone is crashed is to restart the camera. This will initiate the camera to checks for videos that have been damaged during the crash. Soon the SOS icon pops on the LCD screen. Press any button on the camera or the plus symbols so that the device can start fixing the videos.
Why are all my GoPro videos corrupted?
GoPro videos get corrupted either while recording or after recording the videos. Here are the possible causes why your GoPro Video might be corrupted. If you are you encounter your GoPro files not opening, this could be the following reasons
- Your recorded videos might be incomplete, which means your GoPro camera might have stopped recording the video mid-way.
- This usually happens when you don’t have enough space in the SD card or if the camera has abruptly shut down while recording
- If you have tried to edit the GoPro MP4 videos using an unreliable editing tool, the file could be corrupted. This can result in videos that have no sound, choppy or blurry video track, audio-video sync problem, etc.
- Due to the incompatibility of the SD card, you might find an SD card error on the GoPro camera. In which case your GoPro videos won’t play properly
- Even if your GoPro camera works fine, sometimes you might find the GoPro MP4 videos not playing either on the GoPro camera, computer, smartphones or any other device.
- Malware and Virus intrusions on your GoPro Devices can lead to damaged or corrupted GoPro Videos
- Abrupt interruption during the transfer of GoPro videos from one device to another can cause corruption of the video file
How to Repair Corrupted GoPro video?
In the below section you will learn the two manual methodology to effortlessly fix your corrupted GoPro video of any version of your GoPro model. Follow the section below to repair the video effortlessly.
Note - In some scenarios, without the appropriate codecs, you might be unable to play the video files on your system or device. Hence we recommend to download the latest codecs like MPEG-4, K-lite , ALAC, G.711 etc.to support your video file before implementing the below listed methods
Fix corrupt video using VLC media player (GoPro mp4 video repair tool)
Here is a step by step guide to execute this method:
- Step 1: Open VLC and click on Media - Open the VLC on your device and select Media. The format conversion tool will open for you to perform GoPro mp4 repair
- Step 2: Add a corrupted video - Add the file that you want to repair. The selected file will convert to AVI. Now, click on Convert/ Save.
- Step 3: Choose settings - Choose Codec. The system will ask you to choose a location to save your file. Choose the place where you want to keep your record. Now, click on Start.
- Step 4: Open VLC and click on Preferences - Click on the Tools option. Choose the Preferences option from the drop-down menu of Tools. You can also click Ctrl+P.
- Step 5: Click on Always fix in the damaged or incomplete AVI file option - Select the Always fix option from the Input/ Codec section. Once selected, Always Fix Option, click on save.
Repair the Corrupted GoPro video with in-built SOS feature
The GoPro camera displays SOS on its LCD screen, which indicates that the camera has found a problem in one of the files.
SOS is an in-built feature to fix corrupted videos. It indexes the video with a proper header so that the video can be accessed and played.
- To initiate the repair process, you just have to press any button on the camera when the message is displayed
- If you were unable to get the message, turn off the camera and remove the SD card from the camera
- Now, reinsert the SD card and wait for few seconds for the camera to scan the storage and find the faulty video
- You can also try to import GoPro videos to Mac or Windows computers. Sometimes, viewing media files directly from the camera will show as error or corruption.
Note: This method may not help you fix GoPro videos that are freezing, choppy, or with other video problems. You would have to use a GoPro Repair tool for this job.
When your GoPro video is corrupted there can be issues such as videos with no sound, choppy video output, etc. Every issue needs a different approach to fix the problem. Luckily, with Remo Video Repair software, you can fix the video regardless of the corruption. This tool uses a healthy video file as a reference and repairs the corrupted video file. You can make use of the software to repair videos on all the models including the latest GoPro Hero 9. Download and try the tool for free now.
How do you Fix Corrupted GoPro Videos Using Video? Repair Tool.
Download and install the Remo Video Repair tool and follow the steps mentioned below.
1: Launch the application, click on Select File and choose the corrupted GoPro Video
2: Now, click on the Choose Reference MOV file button and select a video that was shot on the same GoPro camera
3: Click on Repair to start fixing the corrupt GoPro video
4: After completion of the repair process, double-click on the file to Preview and validate the video
5: Finally, click on Save and browse for a location to save the repaired GoPro file
The information provided in this article is the safest way to fix GoPro videos. You might as well try fixing the choppy or jerky video with a VLC player, which can fix corruption under certain cases but involves a small percentage of risk as VLC operates directly on the original file.
To avoid any such disaster in the future, make sure you have charged the device sufficiently and free up enough space for a new video. If you have any queries regarding the solutions, kindly reply in the comment section below.