Yesterday when I opened my Outlook account I noticed that my emails have disappeared from my outlook inbox. I am using Outlook for the past 5 years but have never encountered such an issue. Why have my emails disappeared from my Outlook inbox? Also, I see that emails disappear from outlook inbox after being read but I need those emails as few were important. Please help me to recover the lost or missing Outlook emails.
Emails disappearing from Outlook is a very strange issue as there is nothing you might have knowingly done wrong. However, there are a few possibilities because of which the emails might get disappeared from Outlook inbox. Read along to know about some proven manual methods to recover the disappeared emails from Outlook.
Before we discuss the ways to solve the emails disappearing from Outlook inbox error, let’s see why have the emails disappeared from Outlook’s inbox. This will give you a clear idea about what went wrong and how to avoid the same problem in the future.
Why are Emails Disappearing from my Outlook Inbox?
Emails can disappear or go missing from Outlook’s inbox because of the below-mentioned reasons:
- A problem in Configuration settings: If there is an issue existing in the POP or IMAP settings of your Outlook account or if you have set the POP or IMAP wrongly, then outlook inbox emails may disappear.
- Improper filter option: If you have set wrong filters you may be unable to read some emails - for example, old emails, emails that have been read, and emails without attachments.
- Accidental deletion: You might have deleted a few emails by mistake and forgot about them later.
- Inactivity: If you have not used your Outlook email account for a while, then also this missing email in Outlook error can occur.
- Compromised Outlook account: When your Outlook account is hacked and someone else is using your account. In this case, the hacker may delete some of your emails without you knowing it. In this case, it is recommended to check how to recover the Outlook password and take all necessary security actions.
How to Fix Emails Disappearing from Outlook Issue with Easy Manual Methods?
As you already know that there are several reasons behind missing emails in Outlook. To fix the Outlook inbox emails disappeared problem, we are going to discuss a few suitable manual solutions in this section.
1. Check Deleted Items Folder
One of the reasons behind emails disappearing from Outlook is unintentional deletion. Thus, if you are unable to find a few emails in your Inbox in Outlook, you can first check the deleted items folder. In case, you have deleted an important email, it won’t be deleted right away but will be available for you in the Deleted Items folder.
Note: If you have accidentally deleted the PST file, recover it with Remo Recover.
2. Rectify the Filters
If you have not deleted the emails accidentally then probably filters are the reason why emails are disappearing from Outlook. So, you need to make changes to the filter settings. To change the filter setting, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Launch Outlook and click on the View tab.
- In the View tab and click on the View Settings option.
- Next, an Advanced View Settings dialogue box will open up. Click on the Filter option in that box.
- Next in the Filter dialogue box, navigate to the More Choices tab.
- In this window verify if any filter box is checked; if yes, then uncheck all and click on OK.
3. Use Advanced Find to Search for Missing Emails
If rectifying the filters did not solve the lost emails in the Outlook issue, then try searching them with the Advanced Find feature of Outlook. Follow the below-mentioned steps to use the advanced find:
- Open Outlook.
- In the top section, you will see a search bar saying Tell me what you want to do. Type Search tools there.
- It will show you Search tools in results. Click on Search tools and then select Advance Find.
- Now, in the given columns, you need to enter the details of the emails you want to search. As you can see in the screenshot below, there are three categories, and you need to fill them according to what suits your requirement.
4. Create a New Outlook Profile, and Import & Export Old Mail History
If none of the methods worked for you then you can go for this method where you will be creating a new Outlook profile. All the disappeared Outlook inbox emails can be retrieved by exporting old emails and then importing them to a new Outlook profile. The steps involve three phases i.e., Export the Old emails, Create a new Outlook profile, and Import Old Email History. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
Export Old Mail history
- Open Outlook.
- Click on the File menu and select Open & Export on the left tab.
- Select Export/Import option
- Then click on Export to a file under the Export/Import dialogue box.
- Select Outlook data file (.pst) from Export to a File dialogue box.
- Select the email account that you want to change.
- After selecting the email account, make sure to check the Include Subfolders box.
- Now, click on Next
- Then in the next window click on the Browse button and select the location to export the file and also provide a name for it.
- Next according to your requirement you can select any one option. You can select the “Replace duplicates with items exported” as it is generally the suitable option.
- Once you have selected one option, click on the Finish button.
- Hopefully, you will be able to see the disappeared emails again once this process is finished.
Create a New Outlook Profile
- Open Control Panel
- In Control Panel, click on the Mail option
- Then in the next window click on the Show Profiles option.
- Next hit the Add button to create a new profile.
- Add a profile name and click on OK.
- Then follow the instructions provided on the screen to create a new Outlook account.
Import Old Mail History
The last step is to Import the old mail history to the newly created Outlook profile.
- Open Outlook.
- Click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export
- Select Import from another program or file in the next window and hit the Next button.
- Then select the Outlook Data file (.pst) option from the list. Then hit Next.
- Then click on the Browse button.
- Browse for the file that you saved while performing the export procedure i.e. the 1st step of this whole process. Select that file and wait for the history to sync properly. Once the syncing is complete, you will receive a pop-up saying that all folders are up to date.
- Next, you can check your Outlook profile for the newly imported emails.
After performing the above-mentioned process hopefully, you will be able to find the disappeared emails now in the new Outlook profile.
How to Recover Permanently Deleted Outlook Emails Easily?
In case you are looking for an automated method that will efficiently recover the deleted Outlook emails without much manual effort then choose Remo PST Repair Tool. It is a shortcut method to find emails disappearing from Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, etc & fix corruption in the PST file. Try the tool for free now and get to preview the missing emails in Outlook.
In this blog, we have discussed both manual and automated methods for bringing back Outlook inbox emails disappeared and how one can find missing folders in Outlook or bring deleted emails back to the mailbox. Hopefully, the troubleshoots will help you in retrieving the important emails that disappeared from your Outlook inbox.