Scenario: “ I need to play the .mov file on my Windows 10 computer. I see the error message "Missing codec." when I try to open the video file. This item was encoded in an unsupported format. 0xc00d5212". The recorded video plays with audio only after I close the message; there is no video.”
Users anticipate getting the most out of their video playback experience, but this isn't always achievable. Even while using the reliable Windows 10 operating system to watch video files, there will almost certainly be some annoyances along the route.
One of those unpleasant errors is related to the 0xc00d5212 missing codec. Numerous users claim that they frequently receive the error message "Missing codec. What does that mean? In this article find what is codec error 0xc00d5212 and solutions to fix it.
What Is 0xc00d5212 Error?
The error message "Can't play" has the error code 0xc00d5212. “This item was encoded in an unsupported format 0xc00d5212 Send feedback”. The exact message is seen in the dialogue box. The missing codec 0xc005212 may occur because the file format(such as . AVI, .MKV, .MOV) you are trying to play is not supported by the Media Player you are using. This will result in a 0xc00d5212 codec error.
In the next section, let us understand the various reasons and the fixes for the error code 0xc00d512.
Why Does Error code 0xc00d5212 occur?
Now, that you know what is error code 0xc00d5212. Let’s understand the various reasons in detail.
Codec is one of the main factors in playing a video, as the codec is used for compressing and decompressing a large amount of data. It is crucial to have the proper codecs because the faulty codec prevents the video files from being played by the installed media player.
Outdated Video Drivers
Error code missing codec 0xc00d512 also occurs because of the outdated video drivers. Video drivers communicate between video graphics and video displays. If the video drivers are outdated you will not be able to play the video.
Unsupported Media Players:
You might be getting the error 0xc00d5212 because of the unsupported media players, sometimes media players don’t support a few formats. Make sure that the media player you are using supports the file format.
Errors in System Files:
Damage in the system files like the improper shutdown of the system, virus infection, etc can be the reason for the error 0xc00d5212.
A corrupt video file is also the reason for the error 0xc00d5212, as a corrupt video file cannot play the video properly.
Now that we know the reasons for the error code 0xc00d512 next, we will move on to Fixing the error item that was encoded in a format that’s not supported.
How Do I Fix The Error Code 0xc00d5212 – Can’t Play Videos On Windows 10?
Here are the various methods to Fix error code 0xc00d512. You can either update the media player, fix missing codec, update display drivers, convert a video file to another format, or repair it using reliable video repair software like the Remo Video Repair tool.
Method 1: Update the Media Players
Check if your media players are updated if you need help try the below steps.
Steps to update the Windows Media Player:
- Open the Windows media player.
- Click on Help.
- Note: Click Alt+H to open the Help Menu.
- Now, click on check updates
- If the windows media player is not updated, click on update.
Steps to update the VLC media player:
- Open the VLC media player.
- Click on help and select Check for Updates
- Check if the VLC Media Player is updated to the latest version, if not click on Update.
Method 2: Install Missing codec to Fix Error 0xc00d5212
You can easily fix the missing codec 0xc00d5212 by using the VLC media player. Many users have resolved the error code 0xc00d5212 by simply changing their default Windows Media player to VLC Media Player.
There are many file formats that Windows Media player doesn’t support. In this case, you need to download and install VLC Media Player.
- Install VLC Media Player.
- Click on Help a Check for updates, then Download the codec.
- Click on OK try and play your video file in the VLC player, a pop-up will appear to install the codec.
- Finally, click on Install
Method 3: Updating the Display Drivers To Fix Video Encoded In A Format Not Supported Error
If there is any compatibility issue with the display driver on your Windows 10, the error code 0xc00d5212 might pop up. You can follow the steps to update the display drivers to try and fix the issue:
- First of all, press Windows Key + R and type msc, and tap Enter to open Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, locate the Display adapter device and expand the driver icon.
- Right-click on the driver icon and select Update driver software.
- Next, select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Moving on and click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Now, select the driver option according to your device model and installed it.
- Lastly, restart your computer and see if the error code 0xc00d5212 is fixed.
If the error code 0xc00d5212 still occurs, you can visit the manufacturer's website of the computer to download and install the latest display driver or go to the next solution.
Method 4: Convert the Video File to Fix the error missing code 0xc00d5212
When the video can’t be played on Windows 10 and error code 0xc00d5212 pops up, chances are your file has an incorrect codec. Many videos taken from Smartphones or any other device may have the wrong Codec. It is a reason that you can’t play AVI videos.
To fix this issue, you need to convert your video from one file format to another. To do this, install the Video Converter tool on your computer. Then you just select the file in the Converter tool and Convert. You can also use the online video converter tool available for free.
When the conversion process is completed, you open the file with VLC Media Player and check if the error code 0xc00d5212 is solved.
Method 5: Correct the Registries
Changing registries on your own may be dangerous as the whole system depends on these registries. Hence, error codes like 0xc10100be, 224003, 102630, and 0xc00d36e5 occur often. So, it is recommended to use a professional tool that can do this job for you.
When it comes to computers, it is all about taking things safely. So a professional registry fixer tool can scan your PC for registry entries and corrupt system files. This can take a minute and you will be shown the list of things that need to be fixed. Fix them all Immediately.
Bonus Tip: If you have an Mp4, MOV, or AVI video file not playing on the VLC player, then you can learn what to do when the VLC player is not playing MP4 videos.
Method 6: Use System Restore to resolve the error 0xc500d212
Try a system restore to fix the error missing codec 0xc500212
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to the Advanced recovery tool and select Open System Restore.
- Select the restored Point to the problematic app, select next, and click on Finish.
Method 7: Fix The Corrupt File Using Video Repair
Apart from all these, there is one more reason for the Encoded Format Windows Error 0XC00D5212 while trying to play AVI videos on Windows 10. That is AVI video file corruption.
To repair damaged AVI video files, make use of a video repair tool by the name Remo Repair AVI software. You can also make use of this tool to repair other video error-related codes and learn how to fix errors 0xc00d36e5, 0xc00d5212, etc.
Download the Remo Video Repair tool to easily fix video corruption. This tool works on a read-only mode to fix video encoded in a format not supported error without altering the existing content.
Steps to repair corrupt video to fix error code 0xc500d212:
- Download the Remo Video Repair tool and launch it.
- Click on Select File and choose the corrupt video which has 0x500d212.
- If you want to MOV or MP4 files then Click on Choose Reference MOV file and select a playable video file for reference to repair corrupted video files.
- If the video file you want to repair is AVI, DIVX, XVID, or any other file format, then just proceed to Step 4 after Step 2.
- Click on the Repair button to start the corrupted or damaged video repair process.
- The tool facilitates a Preview of the fixed corrupted video file.
- If you are satisfied with the repaired video file, you can activate the software Save the repaired video, and check if it had resolved error code 0xc500d212.