Scenario: “ I need to play the .mov file on my Windows 10 computer. I see the error message "Missing codec." when I try to open the video file. This item was encoded in an unsupported format. 0xc00d5212". The recorded video plays with audio only after I close the message; there is no video.”
Users often expect a seamless video playback experience, but unfortunately, they may encounter some issues, even when using the reliable Windows 10 Operating System. One of these frustrating errors is the 0xc00d5212 missing codec error. Many users frequently encounter the error message "Missing codec." But what does this actually mean? In this article, we will explore the meaning of the codec error 0xc00d5212 and provide solutions to fix it.
- What is Missing Codec 0xc00d5212 Error?
- Why Does Error Code 0xc00d5212 Occur?
- How Do I Fix The Error Code 0xc00d5212 – Can’t Play Videos On Windows 10/11?
- Method 1: Update the Media Players
- Method 2: Install Missing codec to Fix Error 0xc00d5212
- Method 3: Updating the Display Drivers To Fix Video Encoded In A Format Not Supported Error
- Method 4: Convert the Video File to Fix the error missing code 0xc00d5212
- Method 5: Correct the Registries
- Method 6: Use System Restore to resolve the error 0xc500d212
- Method 7: Fix The Corrupt File Using Video Repair
- Steps To Repair Corrupt Video To Fix Error Code 0xc00d5212:
- Tips To Prevent The Missing Codec 0xc00d5212 Error?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Missing Codec 0xc00d5212 Error?
The error code 0xc00d5212 is associated with the error message "Can't play." When this error occurs, you may see the exact message "This item was encoded in an unsupported format 0xc00d5212. Send feedback" displayed in a dialogue box. The error is commonly referred to as the missing codec 0xc00d5212.
This error typically occurs when the file format (such as .AVI, .MKV, .MOV) you are trying to play is not supported by the media player you are using. As a result, you encounter the 0xc00d5212 codec error.
Why Does Error Code 0xc00d5212 Occur?
|A faulty codec can prevent video files from being played by the installed media player. You can refer to this article to find out the codecs of video clips.
|Outdated video drivers
|Error code 0xc00d512 can occur due to outdated video drivers, which act as a communication link between graphics and displays.
|Unsupported media players
|Some media players do not support certain file formats, resulting in the error 0xc00d5212.
|Errors in system files
|Damage to system files caused by factors like improper shutdown or virus infection can lead to the error 0xc00d5212.
|The presence of a corrupt video file can prevent proper video playback and trigger the error code 0xc00d5212.
Now that we know the reasons for the error code 0xc00d512 next, we will move on to Fixing the error item that was encoded in a format that’s not supported.
How Do I Fix The Error Code 0xc00d5212 – Can’t Play Videos On Windows 10/11?
Here are the various methods to Fix error code 0xc00d512. You can either update the media player, fix missing codec, update display drivers, convert a video file to another format, or repair it using reliable video repair software like the Remo Video Repair tool.
Method 1: Update the Media Players
Check if your media players are updated if you need help try the below steps.
Steps to update the Windows Media Player:
- Open the Windows media player.
- Click on Help.
- Note: Click Alt+H to open the Help Menu.
- Now, click on check updates
- If the windows media player is not updated, click on update.
Steps to update the VLC media player:
- Open the VLC media player.
- Click on help and select Check for Updates
- Check if the VLC Media Player is updated to the latest version, if not click on Update.
Method 2: Install Missing codec to Fix Error 0xc00d5212
You can easily fix the missing codec 0xc00d5212 by using the VLC media player. Many users have resolved the error code 0xc00d5212 by simply changing their default Windows Media player to VLC Media Player.
There are many file formats that Windows Media player doesn’t support. In this case, you need to download and install VLC Media Player.
- Install VLC Media Player.
- Click on Help a Check for updates, then Download the codec.
- Click on OK try and play your video file in the VLC player, a pop-up will appear to install the codec.
- Finally, click on Install
Method 3: Updating the Display Drivers To Fix Video Encoded In A Format Not Supported Error
If there is any compatibility issue with the display driver on your Windows 10, the error code 0xc00d5212 might pop up. You can follow the steps to update the display drivers to try and resolve the OBS lagging issue as well:
- First of all, press Windows Key + R and type msc, and tap Enter to open Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, locate the Display adapter device and expand the driver icon.
- Right-click on the driver icon and select Update driver software.
- Next, select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Moving on and click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Now, select the driver option according to your device model and installed it.
- Lastly, restart your computer and see if the error code 0xc00d5212 is fixed.
If the error code 0xc00d5212 still occurs, you can visit the manufacturer's website of the computer to download and install the latest display driver or go to the next solution.
Method 4: Convert the Video File to Fix the error missing code 0xc00d5212
When the video can’t be played on Windows 10 and error code 0xc00d5212 pops up, chances are your file has an incorrect codec. Many videos taken from Smartphones or any other device may have the wrong Codec. It is a reason that you can’t play AVI videos.
To fix this issue, you need to convert your video from one file format to another. To do this, install the Video Converter tool on your computer. Then you just select the file in the Converter tool and Convert. You can also use the online video converter tool available for free.
When the conversion process is completed, you open the file with VLC Media Player and check if the error code 0xc00d5212 is solved.
Method 5: Correct the Registries
Changing registries on your own may be dangerous as the whole system depends on these registries. Hence, error codes like 0xc10100be, 224003, 102630, and 0xc00d36e5 occur often. So, it is recommended to use a professional tool that can do this job for you.
When it comes to computers, it is all about taking things safely. So a professional registry fixer tool can scan your PC for registry entries and corrupt system files. This can take a minute and you will be shown the list of things that need to be fixed. Fix them all Immediately.
Bonus Tip: If you have an Mp4, MOV, or AVI video file not playing on the VLC player, then you can learn what to do when the VLC player is not playing MP4 videos.
Method 6: Use System Restore to resolve the error 0xc500d212
Try a system restore to fix the error missing codec 0xc500212
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to the Advanced recovery tool and select Open System Restore.
- Select the restored Point to the problematic app, select next, and click on Finish.
Method 7: Fix The Corrupt File Using Video Repair
Apart from all these, there is one more reason for the Encoded Format Windows Error 0XC00D5212 while trying to play AVI videos on Windows 10. That is AVI video file corruption.
To repair damaged AVI video files, make use of a video repair tool by the name Remo Repair AVI software. You can also make use of this tool to repair other video error-related codes and learn how to fix errors 0xc00d36e5, 0xc00d5212, etc.
Download the Remo Video Repair tool to easily fix video corruption. This tool works on a read-only mode to fix video encoded in a format not supported error without altering the existing content.
Steps To Repair Corrupt Video To Fix Error Code 0xc00d5212:
Here are the steps to resolve the error code 0xc00d5212 using Remo Video Repair software:
Step 1. Download and install the Remo Video Repair software to begin the repair process for the video file that is displaying the error code 0xc00d5212.
Step 2. Launch the software and click the "Select File" button in the main interface to choose the video file showing the error code.
Step 3. Click the "Repair" button to initiate the repair process. Remo Video Repair software will analyze and attempt to fix any errors in the video file. It will automatically detect and resolve the issues that caused the error code 0xc00d5212.
Step 4. After the repair process is complete, the software will prompt you to save the repaired video file. Select a secure location on your computer and click the "Save" button.
Following these steps, you can repair the video file and resolve the error code 0xc00d5212 using Remo Video Repair software
Tips To Prevent The Missing Codec 0xc00d5212 Error?
- Use updated antivirus software to clear viruses.
- Minimize frequent video format conversions.
- Play AVI files on supported media players.
- Keep your operating system and media players up to date.
- Avoid abrupt system shutdowns to prevent file corruption.
- Use reliable storage media for your video files.
- Maintain sufficient free disk space on your storage drives.
- Disable unnecessary codecs or filters if encountering playback issues.
Resolving the 0xc00d5212 error code during media playback requires a systematic approach. Trying alternative media players like VLC, installing missing codecs, updating display adapters, and uninstalling unnecessary audio codecs can be effective troubleshooting steps.
Converting video formats, repairing the registry, restoring the system, and installing Windows updates are also viable solutions. If all else fails, professional video repair software like Remo Video Repair can help resolve severe video file corruption.
Frequently Asked Questions
The error code 0xc00d5212 typically indicates a missing codec issue during media playback. It suggests that the media player lacks the necessary codec required to decode the specific file format.
To fix the missing codec error 0xc00d5212 on Windows 10, try installing the required codec pack for the specific file format. Alternatively, you can use a different media player, such as VLC, which supports a wide range of codecs.
To download the codec for the 0xc00d5212 error, you can visit reputable websites that offer codec packs, such as the official Microsoft website or trusted third-party software repositories. Make sure to download codecs from reliable sources to avoid any security risks.