When you connect an external hard drive to your system, in some cases it may not power up. This post focuses on troubleshooting steps to resolve the error.
Before you assume something is wrong with your drive, let us check where the problem is coming from.
- Change power adapter and USB cable
If the external hard drive uses a power adapter, that could be faulty. Try changing the adapter and check again. If this doesn’t help, replace the USB cable and plug the drive into your system. If this doesn’t solve the issue, proceed to the next step.
- Try on a different computer
Connect your hard drive to another computer by following the steps below. This way you can determine if the problem is with your computer or the drive itself.
- Power off your computer; remove the data cable and also the power cable (if any) from the drive.
- Then connect the power cable to the drive and turn it on
- Turn on your computer and connect the external drive to check if it’s detected.
- Update drivers
If the drive works on the other computer, there may be problems with your system. Most common problems are outdated drivers.
- To update drivers, click on Windows + X to open power users menu
- Click on Computer Management > Device Manager
- Find your device here and right click on it. Select Update Driver. Optionally, you can also select ‘search automatically for updated driver software’.
- If these steps don’t work, you can also right-click on the device in Device Manager and click on Uninstall. Restart your PC and the driver will automatically install.
- Format external hard drive
If these steps don’t work, it is likely that your external hard drive may be the problem.
- Click on Windows + X and click on Disk Management from the menu
- See if your drive is visible in the lower right section.
- If it is visible here, formatting may fix the issue for you.
But before you format the drive, data needs to be recovered. You will need professional data recovery tools for this purpose. Remo Recover is a wonderful solution for all your data recovery needs. It scans your drive sector by sector to retrieve files.
Thanks to the read-only mechanism it employs, there is no damage caused to your original data. This software can be used to recover data from external hard drive that is corrupt, inaccessible and RAW. It supports recovery from all kinds of storage devices such as USB’s, memory cards etc.
It uses unique signature search and has the capability to retrieve 300 types of files. The tool is designed with a simple GUI to make data recovery simple for all kinds of users. Just download and install Remo Recover on your computer and see how amazing it is!
Step 1: Connect the external hard drive to your system
Step 2: Launch the tool and select Recover Partitions/ Drives as the first step
Step 3: Then select Partition Recovery option in the next screen
Step 4: Select your external hard drive from the list of drives and also select the partition to recover
Step 5: The software shows a list of all files. Use the Find option to select files of a particular type
Step 6: Then save all/select files to the desired location
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.