Sometimes you might not be able to access the JPEG files with the Photoshop application. When this happens, you might have come across an error message stating “Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found”. Fortunately, there are few methods to fix this particular error. To know more about the error, and the troubleshooting steps, adhere to the end of the article.
Why does “Invalid JPEG marker” error occur?
- The invalid JPEG marker error on Photoshop occurs when you try to open a non-JPEG file that is saved with JPEG file extension
- If the image file is not saved with a proper file extension
- The image might have been corrupted due to physical damage to the drive
Apart from the above-mentioned reasons, there can also be other reasons for invalid JPEG marker error to show up. However, there are troubleshooting methods mentioned in the article that will help you recover the problem.
Change the file extension
Photoshop errors such as invalid JPEG marker type, usually does not occur if you save the file without altering extension. However, if you have manually added the file extension, a mismatch might result in the faulty JPEG marker. To access a photo and read data, the file extension should match the actual image file type.
Therefore, make sure that a proper extension is provided while saving the file. If you are not sure whether to use JPEG or JPG as the extension click on the link to know more about the difference between JPG and JPEG files.
Rename the image file
Sometimes If you have not saved the image with a proper name and extension, the Photoshop application will not be able open the file. However, simple workarounds such as renaming the image file can help you solve the issue. Here is what you can do to rename the file.
- Right-click on the image and select Rename
- Now, rename the image
Convert the image to a different format
If you are a Windows user follow the below-mentioned steps to convert the image file with MS paint.
- Open Microsoft Paint
- Navigate to File >Open and select the image to be converted
- Go to Files. Click Save as
- Scroll down Save as type field
- Choose the file extension you want to convert to
- Click Save
In case you are using a Mac computer, the below steps will help you convert the image file.
- Open Preview application on Mac
- Select the file to be converted
- From the File tab, navigate to Export
- Select a location to export your converted images
- Click on the Options button in the Export window
- Drag the Quality slider to the desired level
- Select JPEG from the Format dropdown
- Finally, click on Save to convert the image
The above-mentioned steps such as renaming the file or providing the proper file extension will help you access the file.
Despite following the above workaround, if you are facing difficulties in opening the Photoshop document chances are that there might be PSD file corruption. In such a scenario, you would have to make use of a trusted PSD repair tool to fix the corrupted image.
Invalid JPEG file error occurs when the JPEG file not saved correctly. Apart from this reason, this error will also occur when you have downloaded the image from chrome or through the WhatsApp application. However, by renaming the file extension or converting the image file as mentioned above you can fix the error successfully.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.