If you are looking forward to knowing about IO error, causes, and how to fix IO error on external storage devices, this is the article you have been looking for. In this read-up, you will learn everything you need to know about the IO error and how to fix the error effortlessly.
The methods mentioned in this article helps you to fix the IO error on your storage device without affecting the data on the storage device. Moving ahead let us firstly understand more about the IO error.
What is an IO error?
I/O stands for Input/Output. The I/O device error is an issue with the external storage device that stops Windows from reading or writing on it . Multiple users often report I/O device error (Input/Output) while performing read/write operations on their external storage media, like USB Flash Drives with IO eroor, SD cards, external hard drives etc.
Below listed are the usual error codes you might encounter when you come across an IO error.
- "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".
- "I/O error 32", "I/O error 21" or the similar "I/O error + codes".
Going ahead, let us first understand the common scenario for this IO error message to occur in the section below.
Why Does IO error Occur on External Storage Device?
- The Storage is incompatible with the OS
- Faulty or Corrupted Storage device
- Loose USB or e SATA cord
- Physically damaged storage device
- Outdated drivers
- The external hard drive, memory card or USB drive is recognized with a wrong drive letter.
The above-mentioned reasons can be addressed effortlessly by following the solutions given in the section below.
How to Fix IO Error on an External Storage device?
Follow the methods mentioned in the solutions given in below to effortlessly fix the IO error on your external storage device.
- Re-install or update the driver
- Change the drive transfer mode in IDE Channel Properties
- Check and Repair Device in Command Prompt
- Right-click Computer and select Manage. Then choose Device Manager.
- Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click USB Mass Storage and choose Uninstall.
- Remove the SD card/ USB and reconnect it.
- Hold onto Windows + X keys and select device manager from the menu list
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. A subset will open that lists the different IDE ATA/ATAPI channels.
- Right-click on the channel where the appropriate drive is connected, and then click Properties.
- Go to the Advanced Settings tab and select PIO Only in the Transfer mode box for the device that represents the appropriate drive. Typically, this is device 0. Then, click OK and exit all windows.
- Test the drive and check if the error message has been removed.
- Run Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu list
- Click Yes to allow the OS to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk G: /f /r /x. Replace the existing drive letter to your desired drive letter.
This option will check and repair disk errors on the external storage devices to fix I/O device error.
The above-mentioned solution will usually fix the IO error from your external storage device, but while following the above-procedure there are chances that you might encounter an unforeseen data loss scenario if you are not tech-savvy while implementing the procedures.
In such cases, all the data residing on the storage device will be lost. Nevertheless, with the help of reliable data recovery software, you will be able to recover the lost or deleted data from your external hard disk.
Remo Data Recovery tool is a reliable data recovery application that can effortlessly recover more than 300+ file formats with its advanced scan engine. Within a matter of a few clicks, you will be able to recover your lost data from an external storage device.
How to Recover data from Remo Data Recovery software?
- Download and Install Remo Data Recovery Software on your computer. Follow the below-mentioned steps to recover deleted or lost partitions:
- In the home screen, click on Recover Partitions, select the drive from which you have lost or deleted partitions, and click on Scan.
- After completion of the scan process, the software will display the recovered data in File type view and Data type view
- You can Preview the recovered data from deleted or lost partition
- Activate the tool before you save the recovered data on to desired locations, If you are satisfied with results,
This read-up emphasizes on how to fix the IO error with effective solutions mentioned above. For further queries, make use of the comment section below.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.