Memory cards are not only used to expand the storage size of various devices like digital cameras, camcorders, or Android phones but they are also used to backup important data such as photos, videos, audio files, raw-images, documents, and many more.
No matter how important the data on your SD card, it is prone to corruption or deletion. There are various instances under which you might lose your data from the SD card. One such scenario is memory card not formatted or SD card needs to be formatted error.
If you are encountering memory card errors like the SD card not formatted, do you want to format it now? or You need to format the disk before you use it, etc. then this article is for you!
Encountering the memory card not formatted error not only forces you to format the drive but also makes the SD card data inaccessible. Hence, it is recommended to format the SD card only after taking a backup of your important data.
If you have not taken a backup of your files from the SD card not formatted, then you need not worry! Here is a complete guide to help you fix and recover data from a corrupted SD card that says it needs to be formatted or showing memory card not formatted error.
How to Recover files from Memory card that is showing not formatted error/ SD card that needs to be formatted?
Download Remo Recover which is a specially designed tool to restore files from the SD card under various data loss scenarios. This tool works with powerful algorithms to restore data from memory card not formatted by thoroughly scanning it sector by sector.
With this Memory card recovery tool, you can easily restore more than 300 file formats such as photos, raw-images, videos, audio files, documents, etc. not only from SD card that needs to be formatted but also from SD card not recognized, formatted SD card, memory card not showing files, etc.
Follow the below step to recover files from SD card that needs to be formatted or memory card showing not formatted error:
- Connect your memory card to your system that needs to be formatted or showing a memory card not formatted error.
- Launch Remo Recover software on your Windows or Mac to recover files from the memory card not formatted.
- Select the Recover Partitions option and then, select the SD card drive to restore data from it without formatting.
- Hit the Scan button to start recovering data from the SD card that needs to be formatted.
Note: Once the scanning process completes, all your data from the memory card showing not formatted error will be recovered in Data View and File Type View format.
- Select the files that you want to restore from the SD card and click the Save button to get them back at any location of your choice.
Note: You can also use the above methods to recover files from formatted SD card.
How to Fix a Memory card not formatted/ SD card that needs to be formatted?
In this section, you will find out how to fix a memory card that needs to be formatted using two proven methods.
- Command Prompt method: This method focuses on resolving memory card not formatted error without formatting it.
- Disk Management method: This method focuses on resolving the memory card not formatted by formatting it using Disk Management.
Before you make use of the below methods, it is recommended to first take a backup of your SD card to avoid data loss scenarios, or else you can use the Remo Photo Recovery tool to restore SD card files.
1. Run Command Prompt
This method fixes SD card not formatted error using CHKDSK command. Follow the steps to access my SD card that needs formatting.
- Type cmd in the Windows search box and open Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).
- Now type chkdsk D: /f /r and hit Enter.
Note: Replace D with the drive letter of your memory card not formatted.
- Now, the command prompt will fix the issue of SD card needs to be formatted and makes your files accessible to you.
In case, if the command prompt method does not help you fix memory card not formatted error, then this is due to severe SD card corruption.
Let us dive right in to know the other reliable methods to fix SD card needs to be formatted.
2. Format SD card using Disk Management
Follow the simple steps to force an SD card to format using the Disk Management method. Make sure to have a backup of all your important photos from the SD card as this method erases the data saved on the SD card to fix the memory card not formatted issue.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R at once on your Keyboard.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Now, Disk Management will open and locate your memory card that showing memory card not formatted error.
- Right-click on the SD card and select the Format option.
- Select Perform a quick format option and click OK.
Note: It is recommended to select your desired File system, here we have selected the NTFS file system since it is suitable for Windows users.
Note: In case, if you can’t format the SD card using the Disk Management method, then you can format it either using the Diskpart method or the command prompt method shown in the article how to fix the SD card that won't format on Windows or Mac.
Why does my SD card say not formatted?
Following are some of the common reasons for micro/ SD card that needs to be formatted or showing memory card not formatted error.
- Improper SD card ejection.
- Formatted the memory card on the incompatible system.
- The memory card is corrupt or damaged.
- SD card is write-protected.
- Sudden interruptions while working on the memory card.
- Connected SD card to virus-infected devices.
- Bad sectors in the memory card.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.