- What does cannot parse the file mean in Photoshop?
- How do I fix the parsing of a JPEG?
- 1. Photoshop Parsing Problem due to Compatibility
- 2. Fix the Parsing the JPEG Data Error due to the Damaged JPEG file.
- 3. Change the Windows Registry to Fix Photoshop Parsing Error.
- How to Fix the Photoshop failed Parsing JPEG data error on Mac?
What does cannot parse the file mean in Photoshop?
“Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data”, the word parse explains everything about this error. The word parse says read or analyze. That means Photoshop is unable to analyze the JPEG image you have uploaded. JPEG parsing error might be due to various reasons such as a corrupted JPEG file or incompatible image or even due to insufficient memory on your computer. Tracking the roots of this error can be a little complicated, nevertheless in this article is mentioned everything you required to fix this error without any complications.
Note: In some cases due to ram overloading or abrupt power outage can crash your Photoshop and result in losing your current working project. Fortunately, you can recover unsaved PSD files using Photoshop temp files.
How do I fix the parsing of a JPEG?
You can fix Photoshop could not parse the file JPG, JPEG, or TIFF by following the three simple procedures below. Photoshop cannot parse JPEG due to multiple reasons like damaged JPEG files, damaged PSD files, incompatibility between the Photoshop files, etc.
Follow through the steps below to fix the parsing error in Photoshop:
1. Photoshop Parsing Problem due to Compatibility
This error might also occur if the Photoshop application fails to decompress the JPEG image. To fix the Photoshop JPEG parsing error due to compatibility reasons, you need to change the settings in the Photoshop preferences. Following are the steps:
- Open Photoshop > Edit > Preferences > File handling. Clicking on file handling will open a dialogue box.
- In the file handling dialogue box, you will find the “File Compatibility” section with “Camera Raw Preferences” options. Click on it.
- At the end of the Camera Raw Preferences section, you will find JPEG and TIFF drop-down options.
- Click on JPEG and change the setting to automatically open all supported JPEGs and even do the same for the TIFF.
- Click on OK and close the preferences dialogue box
Once all the steps are completed quit and restart the Photoshop application and import the JPEG file. Even now if the error is not fixed it might be due to the insufficient ram or errors in memory allocation.
2. Fix the Parsing the JPEG Data Error due to the Damaged JPEG file.
JPEG files are fragile and easily susceptible to getting damaged either while saving or downloading from external sources. Headers and footers of JPEG files are generally the focus area of damage in a JPEG file (Header and footer store the metadata of the corresponding file). If you have a PSD version of the JPEG file you can convert the PSD file into JPEG format and then use it. Unfortunately, even if the PSD file is damaged you can fix the damaged PSD file using Remo Repair PSD.
If you don’t have any PSD file corresponding to the JPEG image file, you can fix the damaged JPEG file by opening in the paint application. Here is how to do it:
- Right-click on the JPEG file and click on open with the Paint
- Click on File and select Save As an option.
In the saving, the window click on the save as type option and select the .jpeg format
After saving the file as JPEG, try opening the file again. In most cases, this should probably fix the Photoshop parsing error. If the error is not fixed, try the next method.
3. Change the Windows Registry to Fix Photoshop Parsing Error.
This process helps to fix the parsing error due to insufficient memory. Sometimes, insufficient memory can also lead to scratch disk errors in photoshop.
Editing the Photoshop DWORD integer value in the registry might fix the error. DWORD is a value that ranges from 0 to 4,294,967,295. However, to edit the DWORD value you need to edit the Windows Registry, which is complicated. So make no mistakes while following the instructions. If you are a novice take the highest precautions while implementing the steps below:
- Click on Start and type Regedit to open the registry and follow the Path:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\120.0 or folder with respect to the version you are using
- Open the folder and right click and click on New. In the options displayed, select DWORD (32bit) Value.
- Rename the newly created DWORD file as “OverridePhysicalMemoryMB” and open the file. Now set the base to hexadecimal. In the data, the value box enters 4000 (any value between 4000 and 8000 is recommended). Click on OK to close the dialogue box. This completes the editing of DWORD value.
- Restart the computer and launch Photoshop and verify whether the error is fixed or not. All the aforementioned methods are related to Windows. If you are facing Photoshop cannot Parse the JPEG data error on Mac follow the methods mentioned below.
How to Fix the Photoshop failed Parsing JPEG data error on Mac?
For Mac user, Photoshop parsing error can be fixed by importing and exporting the problematic JPEG file.
- Open the photos application click on Files menu on the top.
- From the drop-down menu click on Import option. Find the JPEG file with error and import it on to the photos application.
- Again click on the Files menu now select the export option. In the export window, you will find the option Photo Kind. Click on Photo Kind option and change the format to TIFF.
- Export the file to the desired location and save it.
If you still encounter the error, then change the compatibility setting on the Photoshop application. The process remains the same as the Windows version. Even then if you are unable to fix the error it might be due to corrupt PSD file. You need to repair the corrupt PSD file on Mac to fix this error.
To repair a corrupt or damaged PSD data it is always recommended to make use of Remo PSD Repair Software. The tool is specially designed to restore PSD file along with its layers. Irrespective of the damage to the PSD file you can repair your PSD file using Remo Repair PSD. Download and try the tool for free now.
Despite Adobe's official announcement that the “Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data” error has been fixed, many users report encountering the parsing error. This article contains all of the reasons why this error occurs, as well as the solutions. If you are still unable to resolve the error after following the steps in this article, please let us know in the comments section below or contact our technical support team.