SD card is a non-volatile data storage device that is used to save data such as photos, videos, audio files, text documents, etc. SD card is used in many digital devices like Android mobile phones, DSLRs, cameras, camcorders, etc. to expand memory space and it is also used as a means to backup important photos or videos.
But what if your SD card is not reading on your Android phone or Windows? In such instances, you might feel anxious and could be perplexed with many questions like how to fix your unreadable SD card on PC or phone and most importantly how to recover data or photos from your SD card not reading? etc.
In case, if you are trying to recover data or fix unreadable SD card using the unreliable methods, then you might end up altering your important files on your corrupt or unreadable SD card.
Whenever your micro/ SD card cannot be read on Windows or mobile phone, it is suggested to recover data from it before you fix the corruption since it can lead to permanent loss of data from your unreadable SD card.
How to Recover Data from Unreadable SD card?
Are you worried about your important photos or files saved on the unreadable SD card? If yes, then you need not worry! Before this article helps you fix your SD card not reading on the phone and computer? Let’s start recovering your files first to avoid permanent data loss on the memory card.
Make use of the Remo Recover software which is exclusively designed to recover data from any brand of SD cards with ease. This SD card Recovery software is compatible with all the latest of both Windows and Mac operating systems including Windows 10 and macOS Catalina.
This tool not only helps you recover deleted or lost videos, photos, audio and text files from formatted, corrupted, or unreadable SD card but it also recovers data from CF card, XD card, SDHC or SDXC card, micro memory card, pen drive, external hard drive, etc.
Remo Recover is a specially designed tool having advanced Deep scan algorithms that thoroughly scans unreadable and undetectable SD cards sector by sector to restore images, videos, audio, documents, etc. in just a few clicks. Download this software now!!!
Steps to Recover Data from unreadable SD card:
- Download and Install Remo Recover software on your Windows or Mac and connect your unreadable SD card to your system.
- Launch this SD card recovery tool and select Recover Files option from the main screen.
Note: If you want to recover data from complex data loss scenarios like SD formatting or severe SD card corruption, then select the Recover Partitions option.
- Now, select the unreadable SD card drive and click Scan to restore your files, photos, videos, etc. from it.
- Now you can preview your recovered photos or videos from unreadable SD card by double-clicking on it and click the Save option to restore them to your selected location.
Note: Click on the Deep Scan option, if you have not found your desired files from the unreadable SD card in the Normal Scan.
How to fix an unreadable SD card on Windows and Mobile Phone?
As you have recovered your files from the SD card not reading on a mobile phone or Windows using the above reliable method, now it’s time to fix your unreadable SD card.
After you restore the data from an unreadable or corrupted SD card using the Remo Recover tool then, the next step is to fix the SD card error on Windows. The following are the 3 different methods to fix unreadable SD Card issues on PC:
Method 1: Fix unreadable SD card using Windows Explorer
- In Explorer, right-click on the SD card that is having the problem, and click on Format option
- Now you have to specify the file system, volume label, check on the Quick Format option and click Start button
- After this, you will get a warning message that formatting will erase all data on the drive. But since you have already recovered files from the SD card, you can click OK and go ahead with the format.
- When you get a confirmation message stating that the format is complete, you can click on OK
Method 2: How to Fix Unreadable SD card error using Command prompt in Windows 10?
- Connect your unreadable SD card to your computer and type cmd at Windows start menu
- Open Command Prompt with administrative permission.
- Type Chkdsk f: /r
Note: Replace F with your unreadable SD card’s drive letter
- Press Enter
- Follow the process and wait till the verification is completed to fix unreadable SD card file system error.
Method 3: How to fix unreadable SD card that does not show media in Disk management?
- Connect the unreadable SD card to your computer showing No media in Disk management
- Right-click on My Computer or This PC icon
- Select Manage and then click Device manager
- Under Disk drives, you will find your corrupt or unreadable SD card
- Right-click on it and select Update driver
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software and wait till the process ends completely
- Then, Restart your computer to use your Unreadable SD card again showing no media in Disk management
Micro SD cards are used in Android phones to expand the internal storage space. So when the Micro SD card cannot be read by phone, it worries you as you have many important files stored on it. Don’t worry, try out the methods given below to fix the SD card not reading corruption.
Before you move on to fix the unreadable micro SD card error on Phone, it is suggested to recover files from it first to avoid data loss.
Remo Recover software can easily recover more than 300 file formats like photos, text files, audios, and videos from corrupt SD card or memory card not readable with ease.
Download and launch this tool on your Windows or Mac > Connect the micro SD card to PC and click Recover Files option > Now, select the micro SD card > Click Scan option > Finally, Save the recovered files, photos, or videos.
Method 1: Clean unreadable Micro SD card
When there are dust particles on the SD card/ memory chip, then the SD card cannot be read by the Smartphone. So you need to check if the metal area is black, or if there is any spot present on it. If you find any, then you have to clean it with a cotton cloth and can insert it into your mobile phone SD card slot to use it again.
Method 2: Reshape the SD card slot
The design of the Micro SD card slot is delicate usually for some ultra-thin mobile phones. So this slot gets squeezed when the thickness of the battery exceeds the requirements. Under this situation, you can replace the battery and reshape the slot to fix the SD card not reading on the phone issue.
Note: Sometimes, when your mobile phone’s memory card slot is broken or the SD card is damaged then, it cannot be read. In such cases, you need to fix it to solve an unreadable SD card issue.
Method 3: Format unreadable SD card properly
The formatting SD card on phone is not the same as formatting it on your Windows. For example, a particular file system, say FAT32, won’t be read on a smartphone having a FAT16 file system. Thus you need to reformat an unreadable SD card to FAT16 from FAT32 and vice versa.
Formatting or reformatting an unreadable SD card will erase all the data present in it, thus, you need to maintain a backup before formatting or reformatting the unreadable SD card.
Always maintain a backup of your crucial files to avoid data loss scenarios and whenever you encounter an SD card unreadable error, then try to fix it using the above reliable methods on Windows or Android. In case, if you have not taken a backup of your photos or videos, then utilize Remo Recover to restore more than 300 file types from corrupt, inaccessible, or unreadable SD card with ease.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.