Sometimes, Windows Movie Maker shows a black screen with only audio output during the playback. Incompatibility is the main reason for a black screen in Windows Movie Maker. And, this incompatibility issue might be the result of installed codecs or software that are not compatible with the Windows Movie Maker program.
Even though Windows Movie Maker video black screen is a small problem, it affects the user experience if it is not sorted out in the right way.
Note: When the audio is muted in Windows Movie Maker, it will lead to a black screen. If the user is facing no sound problem along with the black screen issue in Windows Movie Maker, then try unmuting the audio; this may help to solve the problem.
In special cases, the computer screen may also result in WMM black display, if it is faulty (due to issues with a computer screen). At those times, the user will see a black screen, even if the Movie Maker is functioning fine. So, ensure that your computer screen is not having an issue.
How to Fix Black Screen in Windows Movie Maker?
There are various troubleshooting techniques to fix the black screen problem in Windows Movie Maker. And, few methods are described here based on the percentage of their outcome. So, try each fix until the black screen problem in WMM gets solved.
- Set Audio: As said earlier, muting the audio in Windows Movie Maker may give the black screen. As a solution, try to get rid of the mute settings of WMM. To do that,
- Select Timeline from Windows Movie Maker menu
- Expand both audio and video
- Right-click and opt Mute
You can also try to set the sound level of all the clips to zero for solving the black screen problem.
- Block Unnecessary Tasks: Why several tasks should be running on a computer when the user is using only one? It not only degrades your current application’s performance but also leads to several other issues.
So, it is advised to close all unnecessary programs when working with Movie Maker to fix the black screen error.
- Restart Windows Movie Maker: Closing the WMM completely and restarting it from the scratch is a good way to tackle the Windows Movie Maker black screen error. This helps to find out whether any virus is causing the black screen to show up. So, that you can scan the WMM program to remove all the spyware.
- Update Drivers: Windows Movie Maker need the updated drivers to function properly. So, the easiest way to fix WMM black screen problem is by updating video card drivers.
And, here are the steps to update drivers
- From Start menu open Control Panel
- Select Device Manager and open it
- Find Display adapters option and expand it
- Right-click on the driver name
- Choose Update Driver Software
- Next, opt Search automatically for updated driver software
- Now Windows will look for latest driver software. If any new updates are found, it automatically downloads and installs them
- Finally, restart the computer
Sometimes, the computer shows a message that states, “The best driver software for your device is already installed or it is up to date” when you try to update drivers. If so, then check your internet connection and try again.
- Tune Windows Movie Maker: Ensure that you have the latest version of Window Movie Maker. If not, then update your WMM. If nothing works, then try reinstalling Movie Maker.
Caution: Don’t forget to verify that the video which is giving black screen is a not a culprit. Hence, try to play the video in other media players (for instance, if it is a .avi file use VLC player) and also, try to open other video files in Windows Movie Maker.
If other videos work fine in WMM or the file which shows the black screen in Movie Maker exhibits the same issue in other players, then repair the corrupt video file that gives black screen using an efficient video repair tool.
A Note to Reader:
This article covers all common solutions for fixing black screen in Windows Movie Maker, which works in all cases. So, just give them a try and solve the issue. If above fixes don't help you then grab assistance of Microsoft experts and get reviewed your system information.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.