A zipped file indicates compressing extensive data and storing it in a folder to share it across the internet or to save it on disk space efficiently. This technique enables users to save multiple files in compressed form, which factually occupies less space and can easily be shared.
What is ZIP file association? Why does it occur?
When people use third-party tools like WinZip instead of Windows Explorer, the third-party tool will be set as a default application to open and compress ZIP files. However, when you uninstall the third-party application, you must make sure that Windows Explorers association with the ZIP file should be restored.
In this article, we will discuss how to fix the broken ZIP file association with Windows 10.
Ways to fix ZIP file association with Windows:
There are multiple methods to fix ZIP file associations on Windows 10. Follow the below-mentioned solutions:
- Fix broken ZIP file association using CMD
- Reset Windows Default Applications
Method 1: Fix the Broken Zip file association using the command prompt
Follow the steps below to fix the ZIP file association using the command prompt easily.
- Enter the keyword cmd in the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Right-click on the command prompt option and select Run as administrator
- The command prompt window will open.
- Type assoc .zip=CompressedFolder and click on Enter.
Suppose you want to know what more Command Prompt can do for you. Then, refer to this article to find out What is Command Prompt and common commands to help you become a pro computer user.
Method 2: Reset Windows Default Applications
To fix ZIP file association, you can reset Windows applications by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Enter the keyword Default apps in the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Click on the Default app settings option that appears on the screen.
- Then click on the Reset option which tends to reset all default Windows applications.
Method 3: Choose File Explorer as the default utility
You can choose File Explorer as a default program to access ZIP files. This can help you to fix broken ZIP file associations in Windows 10. Follow the steps mentioned below to opt for File Explorer as a default utility:
- Right-click on the ZIP file you are trying to access and select the open with option.
- Now, click More Apps and choose File Explorer as a default option.
- Always use this app to open the ZIP files option and press OK.
If you encounter any ZIP file corruption, we recommend you use the Remo ZIP repair tool, which can not only help you fix ZIP files but is also capable of fixing ZIPX files. This can also fix ZIP files with CRC errors, Header corruption, etc.
Download the software now!!
How does Remo Repair ZIP work?
One can follow the below-mentioned steps to fix corrupted or damaged ZIP files effectively and efficiently. Remo ZIP repair tool is user-friendly; even a novice user can download the software for free and retrieve data from ZIP or ZIPX files flawlessly.
- Download the Remo ZIP Repair tool and Launch it.
- Now browse and select the corrupted or damaged ZIP file you are trying to access and click the Repair button.
- The repairing process is initiated.
- Once complete, one can preview and download the files by purchasing the licensed version.
Tips to Keep ZIP Files Healthy:
- It is recommended not to download ZIP files from unreliable sources.
- Authorized applications like WinZip to access ZIP files can help.
- Use a professional data recovery tool to recover lost data from the ZIP folder.
- Use a healthy storage media to save ZIP files.
- Ensure proper internet connectivity while downloading a ZIP file.