This is a common error that occurs if compatibility mode is enabled in Outlook. It can also occur due to add-ins or corruption in the Outlook data file. This article explains some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.
- Disable compatibility mode
Compatibility mode may be enabled in Outlook your knowledge. This may cause your Outlook to behave differently and throw error messages.
- For Outlook 2013, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 15\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 15\
- For Outlook 2010, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 14\
- Right click on exe and click on Properties
- In Compatibility tab, uncheck ‘Run Outlook in Compatibility mode’ and click on Apply.
- Restart Outlook
If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
- Disable add-ins
Although add-ins improve the overall experience of applications, it may, however, cause certain issues. You can disable them to check if Outlook works normally.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window
- Type exe/ safe and click Ok
If Outlook opens without any error, add-ins may be the issue. To disable them, follow the steps below:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Go to File tab > Options > Add-ins
- Select COM Add-ins and click GO
- Uncheck all add-ins
- Then select the add-ins one at a time and restart Outlook each time you select an add-in. This will help you narrow down the add-in causing trouble.
- An issue with Outlook data file
You may receive this error is there are issues with your OST file. OST files are data files to store a synchronized of your mailbox information on your local computer. Accounts such as Office 365, Exchange Accounts, Outlook.com accounts use OST files.
Interruptions during synchronization processor when Outlook is upgraded, your OST file can get corrupted and lead to errors. In such cases, you can convert the file to a PST format, which is easy to work with and provides import options.
Remo OST to PST converter is one of the best tools to convert your file. It is a read only tool that extracts contents of your OST file, fixes issues and converts it to a healthy PST file. All attributes such as emails, contacts, appointments, calendars etc. can be recovered using the tool.
It keeps the OST folder structure and formatting intact after conversion. There will no be changes to your original OST file. It is compatible with OST file created on Microsoft Exchange 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Conversion is a simple 3 step process and can be done even by novice users. Once you have downloaded the software, open the OST file (If you don’t know the location, let the software find it for you). Then provide a destination to save your converted file. Click on Next to start the repair process. A notification will be provided once the conversion is complete.
Remo also offers a tool called Remo Repair PST to fix PST files and repair Outlook.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.