Secure Digital cards are very tricky to handle. Some simple mistakes make your SD card inaccessible and unreadable. If you encounter such problems with your memory card, then you are in the right place. Here, I’ve listed some simple solutions and methods to recover your data from your unreadable or corrupted Secure Digital Card on Windows / Mac.
Method # 1: Connecting to another device
If your SD card is not readable on the current device due to corruption, then do not lose hope. Attach it to other devices and try to access them. In case your memory card does not appear on any device, try the following method.
Method # 2: Run CHKDSK
- Write down your memory card drive letter
- Open the command prompt and type chkdsk followed by the letter of the memory card reader and: / f
- Hit enter
- Chkdsk scans your memory card and tries to fix any errors to make it accessible
If you can access it after running chkdsk, get all your data.
Method # 3: Assign a drive letter
If you get the message “Please insert the disc into drive E:” when the SD card is connected to your system due to corruption. Then go to System Settings and assign a drive letter to your memory card manually. This can solve the problem.
Method # 4: Using the SanDisk Integrated Solution
- Select your memory card and right click on it
- Choose Properties from the context menu
- Check the free space and used space of the memory card
- In the case, it shows the used space plus free space then, the files can be in a hidden state
- Use SanDisk’s integrated solution to restore hidden data
Additional information – If you want to recover deleted file from SDHC card , SDXC card or any other type of SD card, then use the Remo Memory Card Recovery tool. It recovers data from any type of memory card in minutes.
Method # 5: Formatting and Using the Data Recovery Tool
If you are unable to correct and recover data from any of the above methods, format the memory card for reuse. And use the Remo Memory Card Recovery tool. It helps to recover data from the corrupted memory card. A few simple steps and all your data will be back.
- Download, install and run Remo Recover Media Edition
- Select the option Recover Lost photos
- Choose the memory card and click on Next
- The software analyzes and displays the list of recovered files
- Select the required files and save them in any location
These are some simple methods to repair the corrupted memory card and to recover data from it. Sometimes you may not be able to access the memory card while it is write-protected. In this case, you must follow the steps to remove write protection from the memory card.
If you do not want to enter such a situation, handle the memory card carefully. Never remove your memory card abruptly and do not use the same memory card in many devices.