I had to recreate my Outlook profile and so I need to access my Outlook data. However, I do not currently have access to the network. How can I open or import my old OST file into my new Outlook profile ??
That’s what happens every time you recreate your Outlook profile. Unfortunately, there is no built-in feature available for OST file import as your PST import / export feature; therefore, it must be done manually. In fact, these OST files are the Outlook offline data file that helps you access your e-mails and other Outlook data even when the Internet connection is weak.
As soon as you initially configure or re-create the program to connect to an e-mail account, the Microsoft Outlook application automatically creates an OST file or the offline folder file. This OST file stores a copy of your mailbox and allows you to access your mail even when you are not connected to the Internet. OST files are always stored in their default location. To import an alternate OST file, place it in this default location.
Here are the simple steps involved in importing the OST file into your Microsoft Outlook profile; Read more for the full procedure:
- Close your Microsoft Outlook application and make sure it is not running
- On the Start menu , click on the « My Computer » option
- Now find the location of the OST file on your computer and select it. Depending on the version of Windows, your OST file location changes:
In Windows XP: C: \ Documents and Settings \ username \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Outlook Directory
In Windows Vista and Windows 7: c: \ users \ username \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Outlook directory
- Once you have navigated to the folder » Outlook directory « , look for the file named » ost «
- Just select, drag and drop the » ost » file to your desktop
- Now, copy the alternative (old) OST file that needs to be imported into this « Outlook Directory » folder
- Then, this alternative OST file must be renamed to » ost «
- Once done, when you open the Outlook application, it will automatically import this new OST data and use it as the main OST file.
If you want to work on PST files rather than on OST files (that is, offline files), you can ost a pst recovery and then import that PST file into your Outlook profile.
So, with the steps above, you can easily import your OST file into your new Outlook profile. Although the steps in this process are simple and easy, special attention is required when importing. This is because there are many chances in which your OST file could be corrupted during copying; This would lead you into painful situations. In such cases, you can use the Remo Convert OST to PST software that helps you repair the corrupt OST and converts it to a PST file to ensure safe and easy access to your Microsoft Outlook data. In addition, this app is convenient for users to guide how to repair an OST file after corrupted due to virus and malware attacks and other reasons.