Streaming a video involves a continuous transfer of small files from the server to the user. It allows the user to smoothly watch the videos without waiting for the download. It also offers the end user to spend less bandwidth and time to play videos. This is the basic reason behind the popularity of video streaming.
Slow Streaming MP4 Videos
After the introduction of MP4 videos, it has become quite easy and convenient for all of us to stream and watch videos, play movies and enjoy a good deal of audio-visual media. MP4 videos are basically HTML5 encoded videos that are saved in an MP4 container file. This has become so popular that everyone who publishes videos online wants to encode their video in MP4 format. Still, there are several issues that arise out of streaming an MP4 file like;
Slow playback, Audio-Video Lag, Audio shuttering, frames being lost, unsynchronized subtitles, long buffering issue etc. And it becomes quite troublesome watching a video sometimes. So why do these videos play slow?
Let’s have a look at some of the reasons associated to streaming of MP4 videos. And solutions to solve slow streaming of MP4 video files.
Reasons of Slow Playback
MP4 files are constructed with small data files termed as atoms which hold all kind of audio and visual information related to the video. These bits of data are transmitted in a stream to the user while watching the video file. But there are some more special atoms that are called moov files, these moov have all the information related to the video and atoms that hold the data.
When the streaming is requested, the player or browser starts gathering the file information and looking for these moov files. The basic demerit of using this format is scattering of the atoms, this means scattered information.
When trying to stream the atoms, the player would look for moov atoms at first, to gather the information of all other atoms and start playing the video, this is the buffer time that you experience every time you stream a video. So if the moov file is easily found, it will initiate the flow of all the atoms, otherwise, the player would be continuously looking for moov files and download all the atoms meanwhile, without playing the video.
- Slow processing speed
- Less availability of memory
- Low bandwidth
- Loosely Optimized MP4 video file
- The inability of a computer to receive the file.
Whatever may be the reason, there are some practices that will help you troubleshoot slow streaming of MP4 videos.
Solutions for Slow Streaming MP4
Availability of more space and powerful graphic options like graphic card are among the foremost recommendations for slow streaming MP4 files. There are several ways by which we can make the streaming of videos fast and smooth. With a few steps, the playback problems of MP4 files can be solved.
- Optimize encoding – First of all, while creating an MP4 file you can optimize the video file for better streaming. This will reorganize all the atoms of your video along with the moov files making it better for streaming.
This can be done during encoding of the video, the encoding platform offers an option to ‘optimize for streaming’ or ‘optimize for web’. This helps in arranging the moov files at the start and hence the player finds it convenient during streaming to retrieve other atoms smoothly and serially.
- Selection of player/browser – streaming the video with a relevant player or browser is a very crucial part of video playback. Most of the browsers and players are equipped with this streaming function, but all of them are designed for different codec efficiency. There is also a dissimilarity in the size of software of browser.
Use of light players is recommended with an adequate codec, similarly, with a light browser would encourage smooth playback of the MP4 file.
- Resource optimization – with the help of cleaning software and a little effort from your end, you can free up a lot of space. This would lead to generating space for streaming operation.
There are some methods which are helpful in optimizing resources for our purpose.
Delete all offline content and browser history :-
Control panel > Internet options > General tab > Delete files > Delete all offline content
Close all the running applications :-
- Close all windows that are not required.
- Disable add-ons and other toolbars.
- Shut down unnecessary programs.
- Remove all the startup programs from startup window.
- Internet enhancement – There are some of the ways when you can lighten a load of internet connection, hence helping in MP4 playback.
- Make sure to stop the background update.
- Improve cable connection.
- Stop antivirus blocking.
- Using DNS servers.
There is a huge streaming of MP4 videos minute around the globe on the internet. So many MP4 videos suffer heavy streaming which makes them slow sometimes. But for most of the times, the suggestions above will help you get rid of slow MP4 files.
To conclude – There are several methods where we can have these offline files in our PC to view anytime. You can face a similar issue with such Video files partly due to moov atom issue, or partly due to missing of stream files in the computer or during downloading, in such case, you can repair mov file.
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.