Windows 10 is out and has proven to be the great operating system with its new features. Most of the Windows 7 or 8 users are now eagerly waiting to upgrade to this latest Windows version. But some of them just want to stick on to their older Windows versions. However, Microsoft will automatically download Windows 10 regardless of whether you need it or not.
Actually, the problem is that Microsoft is not just installing Windows 10, but Microsoft is downloading the entire installer which takes up a lot of drive space and even wastes your network bandwidth. Thus it becomes necessary to block Windows 10 updates. Here are some simple ways in which you can disable these updates from automatically installing:
You can disable the Windows 10 upgrade through computer configuration using the following steps:
- First click on ‘Computer Configuration’ and then ‘Policies’
- In the next window click on ‘Administrative Templates’ option
- Now just click on ‘Windows Components’ and then click ‘Windows Update’
- Here, in this screen double-click on ‘Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update’ and hit ‘Enable’
In case you don’t want to disable using computer configuration, you can go for registry values. To block the Windows 10 upgrade though update, you need to specify the following registry value:
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
NOTE: You need to follow the steps carefully. If the registry is modified incorrectly then this could cause serious problems. Hence, it is always recommended to back up the registry before performing any operations. As it can be used for restoration in case if problems occur.
Through Control Panel
In case the updates have been installed, just uninstall them with the following steps:
- Go to ‘Control panel’ and hit on ‘Programs and features’
- Now, click on ‘view installed updated’ on the left side of your Windows
- Then locate for updates in Windows 7 search for 3035583, 2952664, 3021917 and if you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
- Then, just right-click of each of these updates and choose ‘Uninstall’
- When you are prompted select ‘Restart Later’ option when the prompt appears
- Once all the updates have been uninstalled restart your PC
After the updates have been uninstalled, you need to block the updates from being installed again. For this, follow these steps:
- In the Start Menu, search for Windows Update
- Here in the list choose “Check for updates”, make sure that Windows will find the same updates as listed above
- Then click on “Important update is available”
- Now, right-click on each of these updates and select “Hide update”
With this, you have successfully disabled the Windows 10 automatic upgrades. In future, if you want to upgrade to Windows 10, then you will have to unblock all these blocked updates. In case you lose your vital data or partition in this process just get Remo recover tool and restore lost partition after upgrading to Windows 10 OS in simple steps. Hence, before performing these operations just make sure you have the backup of entire data.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.