Motherboards of an earlier time that use PS2 connector or add-on support to connect other hardware components are not suitable for laptop hard drives. They don’t have provision to accept the laptop hard drives and supports a maximum data transfer rate of only 100 Mbps. The motherboard should have IDE and SATA compatibility in minimum to connect laptop hard drives. It is a complex process to connect SATA and SSD laptop hard drives in motherboards with IDE compatibility alone.
The laptop hard drives can be easily connected with the desktop motherboards using connectors. These connectors and adapters are nothing but the serial busses and synchronous devices to connect laptop hard drives to motherboards. The hard drives can be connected in two ways.
- Directly with the motherboard
- Through USB devices
It depends on the connectors and adapters used. Suppose if the motherboard doesn’t have USB support you can use IDE to IDE, SATA to IDE, and SSD to IDE type connectors to link. If the board supports USB then the connection is not a complex issue and no need to open the CPU cabinet and wiring stuff.
Before starting, shut down the PC and remove the power cords from the plug points as it may damage the ductile components.
- Remove the hard drive from the laptop
- Find the hard drive type from its label
- Check for PC motherboard specifications
- Purchase the connector or adapter which is needed
- Plug the hard drive correctly with the adapter and motherboard of PC
- Check for the connected hard drive in BIOS
Change the jumpers on the hard drive or change first boot device priority in order to mount the laptop hard drive as a non-bootable storage device.
(Jumper – a minute mechanical component in HDD that indicates the motherboard whether it is primary or secondary)
The speed of the data access and retrieval depends on the desktop motherboard and processor speed because the hard drive is just only a secondary storage device and the entire control is on the desktop PC. The main drawbacks of using USB over a direct connection with the motherboard are:
- Drives booted through USB are not readily booted it requires a manual change of settings in the BIOS
- The actual speed of the drive is not attained because of the slow and unsteady synchronization process
Types of connectors and adapters:
Nowadays they are available to bundle at low cost in PC hardware stores and e-commerce websites. Here the type is listed based on its functionality. They are IDE to IDE, IDE to SATA, IDE to USB, SATA to IDE, SATA to SATA, SATA to USB, SSD to IDE, and SSD to SATA.
- At the time data recovery from the damaged laptop using data recovery software.
- Even though the laptop is damaged at its max and can’t be replaced, the connection of HDD to the desktop PC will be efficient.
- Additional disk storage space
- The laptop may contain an operating system that is entirely different. There appears a master-slave problem on connecting directly with the motherboard
- The desktop PC using USB ports in add-on cards does not provide good support to laptop HDD to USB
- It is difficult to find connectors and adapters for laptop hard drive with eSATA and mSATA technologies
- Master-slave confusion in booting two different hard drives with different operating systems
In all the connectors supporting IDE hard drive must be minimum IDE 2.5 and above. And if the motherboard supports only IDE then it has to be IDE 3.5 compatible otherwise the process will end in assaults.
If you are connecting the laptop HDD with desktop to recover data then use a powerful tool like Remo Recover to restore data. As some third party applications will be incompatible with connected drives. For example, the recovery software may be developed for only SATA type hard drives or the software doesn’t have the support to OS corrupted hard drive, etc.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.