When you purchase a new computer, you need to transfer all your contacts from your MS Outlook profile on the existing PC to the new PC or when you have upgraded to a new version of Microsoft Outlook. The long and the tiring way is to enter each one of those contacts again. Since, its a cumbersome and time consuming process, you would not like it. I guess no one would! Thus, you need to transfer all of them at once and how to do that; is explained below.
Moving the contents of your Contacts folder is just a few-step process. It just takes few minutes to complete the process. In this article, I would like to share the steps, to easily export your Outlook contacts from one PC to another.
Here are the steps that need to be followed to export your Outlook contacts:
- Start "Outlook" from the File on the Menu bar and then choose "Import and Export" option, to open the wizard
- From which you need to select the "Export to a file" option and click “Next”
- You will receive Export a file window, which list you a different file types to export like Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Comma Separated Values (DOS) etc.
- From the list select Outlook Data File (.pst) and hit “Next”
- You will receive a confirmation dialog box, just press “Yes” to confirm
- Now you will receive a list of available folders including emails, calendar, contacts, drafts, etc. among them choose Contacts folder to export, then press Next
- Enter the file-name and browse your system to find the path to save the folder and press “Next”
- Enter the password to secure your folder and press “Next” and then enter the password, to initiate the process
While in the process, your Outlook becomes unresponsive for few seconds. Then, it will become responsive again when the export is complete. You can then verify the export file by visiting the destination location where you have saved the file
Now, you got your contacts from the old computer or previous Outlook version. Transfer that to your new computer, and then you can import them into your new version of Outlook with the following steps :
- Start Outlook, choose “File” from the menu bar, now select “Import and Export” option
- From the wizard, choose “Import from another program or file” option and press “Next”
- A list of file types will be listed, from which choose “Outlook Data File (.pst)” type and hit “Next”
- Now. Browse and find the exported file path to import and press on “Next”
- You will receive a prompt to enter the password for the file twice, enter the password
- After completion, select the contacts folder and import
Although this Import and Export wizard allows you to export your contacts, the Wizard doesn’t allow you to export all the fields and filtering the mapped fields is a cumbersome process as well. And if you create multiple contact folders in Outlook, then you have to export each one of those individually. All these become a very lengthy and time consuming process. Moreover, a small mistake while exporting the contacts or if the network goes down at the midst of the export process, there is huge chances of corrupting your entire Outlook profile i.e. PST file. Thus, it’s advisable and safe to use the perfect third party utility like Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate software to export and migrate your Outlook contacts. This guarantees you the safest and the fastest export process. Moreover whether it is from PC to PC or in-between MS versions, all can be done with few clicks.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.