What is Pixelated Video?
If you notice that the video cannot display images on them, or the images in the video are displaying like a polygon structure (same as the below image) then the reason might be pixelated video.
A pixelated video contains irregular pixels with incorrect colors. Usually, we will be confused between pixelated video and blurred video, so let’s understand the difference between pixelated and blurred video.
Why is Your Video Pixelated?
- Pixelation in videos usually happens, when you compress the data to make the video shorter. Excessive compression will cause a negative impact on the quality of the video, and some of the data encoded in the video will be permanently erased, resulting in pixelation.
- When you frequently transfer your videos over many devices, your video will end up pixelating.
- Shooting videos in low light may also cause pixelation
- Insufficient bandwidth and lower signal strength.
- Video shot on low aperature settings will lead to pixelated or grainy video.
- Higher ISO settings.
- If the video is shot using a smaller sensor camera.
Since you know the causes of pixelated video. Move down to find the proven solutions to fix it for free.
Methods to Fix Pixelated Video
Pixelated/Grainy videos can be fixed with the help of the below methods.
Recover from the original video
Suppose you have compressed the video due to less storage space, which reduced the quality of the video and resulted in pixelation or grainy videos. In that case, get back the video to its original size.
Limited Hardware Processing
Videos are not solely responsible for pixelation or grainy videos. Sometimes pixelation is caused by the hardware processing of the system as some high-resolution videos require certain specifications. In that scenario, you need to use a system that can handle it.
Incompatible Video Player
Sometimes, videos are not compatible with the current video player you have selected as it might not support a few video formats and codecs. In that case, try playing the video on another reliable media player like VLC.
[Note: Install the VLC media player, if you don’t have the VLC on your system.]
Here are the steps to play videos on VLC
- Launch the VLC media player and click on Open Video.
- Right Click on the video and select the media player you want to play.
If you are still not able to play the video, check with other media players like Windows media players or other third-party media players. If none of the media players are able to fix the pixelated video go to the next method.
Use a VLC media Player to fix pixelated video
Sometimes you cannot play pixelated video due to improper codecs, if that is the issue you can fix it through a VLC media player.
- Click on Tools and select Preferences
- Click on Input/Codecs and select Always Fix.
Remove Pixelated Videos using Adobe After Effects
Adobe After Effects app helps you in fixing pixelated or grainy videos using the feature called Remove Grain. Follow the below steps to remove pixelation from videos.
- Launch the Adobe After Effects application on your system.
- Now, select the video in the below section and go to Effects.
If none of the above methods work, it might be because of the missing frames. As missing frames will pixelate or give grainy video and it depends on the state of the corruption. Pixelated video can be repaired using video repair software.
Fix Pixelated Video using Remo Video Repair software
Remo Video Repair software is built with powerful video repair algorithms to fix corrupt videos of all file formats like MOV, MP4, AVI, etc. This tool safely removes the pixelated video by removing the missing or bad frames.
Steps to Fix the Pixelated Video:
- Download and Install the Remo video repair tool.
- If you are repairing MOV or MP4 pixelated video click on choose reference MOV file.
- Select the pixelated video and click on Repair.
- Preview the repaired pixelated video using the Preview option.
- Now, Save the repaired pixelated video to the desired location.
That’s about it, Hope you were able to repair the pixelated MP4 or MOV video, and now that you know the causes of pixelated or grainy videos. Try to avoid pixelation of video in the future by shooting the videos in proper lighting, proper ISO settings, etc.