Microsoft Outlook without any doubt has been a feasible email application across the globe. Over the years Outlook has progressed a lot and can be used with personal email accounts as well. It has been providing good support for IMAP and POP3 accounts with multiple features such as Calendar, Reminder etc. If you are wondering how to locatee and move your PST file, read more
In the below read-up, you will learn how to locate and move PST file to another desired location without any hassle, the below-listed procedures involve both manual and migration utility which can effortlessly transfer your PST files.
Did you know?
Without going through any hassle or manual methods if you want to relocate your PST files within a matter of few clicks, you can try using reliable migration tool like Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate to which can automate the locating and migrating your Outlook PST file
How to Locate your PST file?
In order to migrate your PST files to the desired location, you will need to know the current pathway of the PST file on your Windows OS. Locating the current pathway of the PST file completely depends on the version of outlook.
In Outlook 2010 and 2007 by default, PST files are stored in APPData folder, at the path mentioned below:
OST files are also stored in the same location irrespective of what Outlook version you are using.
From Outlook 2013, the PST files are stored in the Document folder. The location of the Outlook 2013 and 2016 are as mentioned below:
- File-> Data File Management.
- Outlook 2013 / 2016 / 2019 / Office 365
- File-> Info-> Account Settings-> Accounts Settings.
- After following the above steps, you will be able to see a tab. Click on the Data File tab to access your Outlook data files.
- Then click on Open File Location to access your PST file
Once you have completed following the above-mentioned methods. Terminate and restart the Outlook application. Outlook will prompt by saying, it cannot find the pathway of your personal storage table and allows you browse to the new desired location
How to Migrate your PST File to another location?
If you want to move the PST files to a different location convenient to you, or you want to move outlook to another computer, you can very much do it. However, you cannot move them to a different location just by using File Explorer.
If you do so, you will have trouble accessing the PST files. In order to relocate your default PST file location, you’ll have to make use of Windows Registry.
While using Windows Registry, one has to be very careful. If misused, it will make your computer inoperable. If you follow the instructions carefully, there shouldn’t be any problem. So, before you start using Windows Registry, make sure you go through the instructions on how to use it. If there is any problem with your Outlook, you can use software to fix Outlook PST file. To avoid any issues, do backup your computer and Registry as well.
Migrate PST file using Windows Registry
- First, close Outlook if it is running, else make sure it is not open. Then, hit the start button
- Type ‘Regedit and press Enter.
- This will open the Registry Editor and agree to make changes to the computer.
- Navigate to one of the below-mentioned keys based on the Outlook version you are using.
- Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\
- 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\
- 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\
- Outlook 2016: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\
After selecting, you have to enter a new value to the Outlook Key.
- Right-click the Outlook button
- Select ‘New > Expandable String Value’ and name it as “ForcePSTPath”.
- If you are using OST file, name it as “ForceOSTPath”.
- Now, double click on the ‘ForcePSTPath’ or ‘ForceOSTPath’ to access the properties window.
- Then, type the new location (where you want to store the data file) into the Value Data box and click OK once done.
Exit from the Registry Editor. Drag the Outlook PST file to the new location using File Editor. Your Outlook should work fine when you re-open it.
Even after following the above-mentioned methods if you are still unable to migrate your PST file to your desired location, then the only appropriate solution is to use to reliable migration tool to effortlessly relocate your Outlook files to your desired location
Move your PST file with Remo OBM
Extracting Outlook data and moving it to another location or higher Outlook version manually is quite challenging and risky. Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool is programmed with a simple user interface that can be utilized for migration and backing up your personal Outlook data.
The above article emphasizes the hassle-free solutions on how to locate and move the PST file in the above article, if you have any further queries regarding the article, feel free to make use of the comment section below.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.