Adobe Photoshop is the best application to edit and design photographs. It provides various color modes, alpha channels, and other properties to create and alter images for web pages. This application is used by professional photographers and graphic designers and runs fine on both Mac and Windows systems. In addition, it is available in numerous versions like 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, CS1, CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6.One of the added advantages of using Photoshop is that it allows the overlapping of two photos. Majority of the Photoshop users are unaware of this fact; if you are one such user and worried about how to overlay two photos in Photoshop, then here are the simple steps that will help you to blend two pictures seamlessly with Photoshop.
Note: Many Mac users also encounter damaged PSD files, if you are one of them and confused on how to fix a corrupted PSD file on Mac click on the mentioned link.
Steps to Overlay Two Photos in Photoshop
- Step 1: First open Adobe Photoshop, and then launch the Open image dialog window (For this press and hold the Ctrl key and O). Click on the photo that you want to use and click the second photo holding Ctrl that you want to open. Click the Open button at the bottom right of the Open window key.
- Step 2: Create a new layer for your image by pressing the Ctrl key and J simultaneously. A new layer will appear in the layer palette referred to as Layer 1. Now, click on the Image in the top navigation menu and click Apply Image... on the dropdown menu.
- Step 3: Now, go to the Source dropdown menu and select the second image that is to be overlapped. In the Blending dropdown menu, click on the Overlay option to use the overlay effect. You can select any blending effects by just scrolling through the Blending menu. Once done, preview the effects on the image in the Photoshop workspace and click OK to save your changes.
- Step 4: Go to File from the top navigation menu and select the Save As... option and type overlayed_file in the Filename field.
- Step 5: Then just click the Format dropdown menu and select JPEG or any file format to save the file in a more common graphical format. Click the Save button.
NOTE: Ensure that both images are of the same size
After following the above-mentioned steps, your images will be overlaid successfully. Even though these steps are simple and easy, one has to be careful while performing these tasks. While dealing with these layers there are chances of Photoshop image files getting corrupt. If this is the case, then you need to repair the damaged PSD files.
The best possible way to fix corrupted PSD files is by using a professional tool; the Remo Repair PSD Software. Integrated with an efficient repair algorithm Remo is a professionally suggested Photoshop file repair tool. Download the tool now.
Often, you might experience the photoshop files are inaccessible. This happens when the PSD files are corrupted. You may come across an error message called "scratch disk is full'. It is recommended to take a backup of PSD files while working on them. In case if you end up with a corrupt or damaged PSD file, make use of the Remo PSD Repair tool.
Do let us know if you have any queries related to the information shared in this article in the comment section below.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.