You might have heard about certain commands such as SFC and DISM to repair corrupted Windows system files. But, have you ever tried these tools whenever your PC run into some problems?
Well, here you’ll know how to use these tools to fix corrupted system files on your PC.
When to use SFC and DISM?
SFC command will be quite useful under following situations.
- Blue screen of death
- Applications are not responding
- Frequent rebooting of your PC
- Windows crash
If you feel SFC command isn’t properly working for you, you can use DISM command to properly execute SFC command and fix your issue.
What is SFC?
SFC or System File Checker is a very useful tool that you can use when you face troubles with important system files. Say for example DLL files. If a system file has modified, the tool will automatically replace that file with the correct version.
Are you facing a similar situation with Outlook data. Here’s a software to fix outlook PST files automatically.
How to use SFC command to repair system files?
- Open Command Prompt(Admin)
- Type SFC /scan now in Command Prompt and press enter to start a full system scan
- If there’re no issues, you’ll see this message “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations”.
- If you see an error message “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”, then you may have to reboot your system in safe mode and execute the above command in Command Prompt again.
Working with DISM Command
Deployment Image & Servicing Management tool(DSIM) is a part of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 to fix errors that allow SFC command from working properly.
Just like SFC, DISM also needs admin privileges in Command Prompt. It’ll check your Windows component store for any corruption issues and fixes whatever problems it finds.
Here’s the command you’ve to use in DISM
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore Health
The repair process may take some time, normally five to ten minutes. Sometimes, its progress bar may halt at some point. No need to worry, it’s temporary.
Apart from corrupt windows system files, you could also encounter damaged word files. Learn about word file repair tool here.