Many corporate environments use Microsoft Outlook as email client due to its easy-to-use interface. People who need to use both Gmail mailbox and Outlook, do not need to tolerate the inconvenience of checking emails in two places. Because the technology has developed in such a way that, from taking backup of outlook settings to syncing Gmail to Outlook you can do anything. Here, I explain you the complete steps to sync Gmail with Outlook:
Procedures to Sync Gmail with Outlook:
Before starting the syncing process…
- Install the Outlook app
Step 1: Prepare Gmail for connecting to MS Outlook
Before connecting your Gmail account to Outlook, you need to turn on 2 step verification on the Gmail and also generate an app password that Outlook will use to sync with your Gmail address to make the connection.
Step 2: Add Gmail account to Outlook
- Go to Outlook app (such as Outlook 2013 or 2016)
- Then click on File and select Add Account
- Add your name, Gmail address and Gmail password on Auto Account Setup page and click Next
(Note: If the configuration method doesn't finish and getting prompts to enter your user name and password for the imap.gmail.com server, choose Cancel and re-enter the password if in case the first one had a typo*)
- Then click on Finish option (Gmail will sync with Outlook and emails of your Gmail account will appear in the Outlook)
Step1: Enable IMAP in Gmail
- Login to your Gmail account
- Click on the Gear button and select Settings.
- From the top Menu bar select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.
- From the IMAP Access section, click on Enable IMAP and enter Save Changes
- Open Outlook and click on File Tab> Account Settings -> Account Settings
- From the Email tab click on New button
- On the Auto Account Setup page enter your name, email address and password select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next
- Then click the option Internet E-mail then hit Next
- Add your name and email address in Add New Account page
- Change the Account Type pull down menu to IMAP and in the Incoming Mail Server field enter gmail.com and in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field enter smtp.gmail.com
- Enter the username and password as there in your full email address
- Select More Settings button
- Hit the Advanced tab
- Change Incoming Server (IMAP) port number to 993 and set the drop down menu labeled Use the following type of encrypted connection: to SSL.
- Then in the same way change Outgoing Server (SMTP) port number to 587 and Use the following type of encrypted connection: to TLS
- Then hit the Outgoing Server tab
- Mark the check box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and choose the option to the left of Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Then click OK > Next > Finish > OK (Here you complete setting up your account)
With these steps you could easily synchronise Outlook and Gmail accounts. This lets you access your Gmail emails, contacts and other items with Outlook. Also, when you backup and restore your Microsoft Outlook Settings, emails and other items your Gmail items will also be backed up, since even those items are saved in PST file. Hence, it is better to sync your Gmail with Outlook account.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.