Microsoft Outlook is one of the renowned email clients for both Windows and Mac operating systems. Now a day, using crossed platforms of different operating systems has been increased dramatically. Consider that you are using a Windows PC, iPhone and an Android tablet. This is called crossed platforms. To carry and maintain data among these platforms is a complex task. Here let’s talk about regarding Outlook data synchronization.
Outlook Sync Services:
Though the working platforms differ, the data which are in and out cannot be changed. For e.g. you can’t use a separate mail accounts for your Windows PC and iPhone. Email accounts are most needed facility in today’s modern world. So keeping this in mind Microsoft has given “Outlook Sync Services” to its Outlook users.
This Outlook sync services helps to carry the most important attributes like contacts, Calendars, notes, events etc. from your outlook to iPhone, iPod, iPad etc. This synchronization can be done in two ways:
- Using tool
There are many tools in the internet market that synchronizes your Outlook data with your Android and Apple devices. Many of the tools were paid versions and in freeware, threats are major drawbacks.
It is good and easy, if we opt for a manual method. To do it manually three routes are there.
- Sync Outlook data directly from Outlook to Outlook
- Sync Outlook data from Outlook to the mobile device (Smartphone and tablets) directly.
- Sync Outlook data using a rationalized medium like Google Calender and iTunes.
Sync Outlook data directly from Outlook to Outlook:
This is one of the common scenarios, it can be found at the time of OS re-installation and Microsoft Outlook updation. To perform this just copy the PST file from your old Outlook in a pen drive or external hard drive. After re-installation or updation paste the PST file in the new default location.
At times while transferring or synchronizing the Outlook data there are several chances for PST corruption. Moreover the Outlook settings cannot be transported manually. It is better to leave the job to a proficient tool like Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate (Windows), which is an automatic Outlook backup program using which you can backup your Outlook PST file and migrate / sync to another device whenever you need.
Sync Outlook data from Outlook to Apple device directly:
To perform this, first the sync services has to be enabled. After enabling sync services follow the steps given below.
- Click on “Tools” tab and select “Sync services”
- The left pane contains the attributes that are highly preferred by the user.
- Select the needed attributes and in the right pane choose the email accounts that are to be synchronized.
- In the “Outlook folder” add new items to pop-up menu select the location in Outlook where the new items need to be saved. “New” items are added first in a different application or device, and then synced with Outlook program.
- Close the “Sync Services” dialog box, and then on the confirmation message, click “OK”.
- Based on the size of the attributes, the synchronization might take few minutes to finish. Now the Outlook can be closed and the sync will complete automatically.
- Open the attribute in the mobile device and see that the Outlook attribute information is synced successfully or not.
Sync Outlook data using a rationalized medium like iTunes or Google Calendar:
This is a globalized process where you can access your Outlook data any where and every where. Here the outlook data is converted to globally accepted formats that can be viewed and used in any platforms. Some of the formats are xml, html, iCal etc.
For example consider that you want to sync your Outlook Calendar data. To do this first you have to export the Outlook Calendar file .iCal to your Google account. After that do as per the given steps below.
- Go to Google Calendar
- Select Calendar list on the left side of the page
- Click the down-arrow button next to the appropriate Calendar
- Select “Calender settings”.
- In the “Calender Address” section, click the XML or HTML button.
- A pop-up window with your Calendar’s public URL will appear.
- Use this URL to access your Calendar information.
- Select the “iCal” button and click the displayed URL to obtain an ICS file containing your Calender data.
The volume of information available in iCalendar address can be changed by clicking the “Change sharing settings” link.
If you are using iTunes as your medium then use this.
- Turn on Sync Services
- Use iTunes to sync iCal with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- Based on the size of Calender used, the sync with iCal might take some time to complete.
Do’s and don’ts:
- Sometimes while synchronizing the Outlook data there are chances for data to be corrupted. For example while exporting the Outlook Calendar to Google Calender. The maximum cell range may vary or sometimes the email settings differ.
- Some mobile devices and OS versions don’t support Microsoft Outlook “Sync Services” facility. So it would be good if the Outlook data is backed up regularly.