Have you clicked “send mail” option in Outlook before completing the mail? Sent a wrong mail to a wrong person using Outlook and want to pull it back? Want to re-edit the sent mail in Outlook?
On the whole the answer is yes! The mail sent through Microsoft Outlook application can be reverted back or reedited on one condition. If you opt for a mail recall in Outlook the mail on the receiver end should not be opened or viewed in other words the mail has to be unread. There are several prerequisites are also there. The option to perform this mail recall action is available in the Outlook itself. A detailed explanation of withdrawing sent Outlook mail is provided here. Before that some necessary conditions has to be satisfied they are as follows.
- To deploy this action in Outlook the MS Outlook application has to be configured with Microsoft Exchange server 2000 or Exchange Sever 2003 or 2007
- Both the sender and receiver must use an Exchange account for sending and receiving mails
- The receiver of the mail should not view the mail or the mail should be unread
- Cannot withdraw mails that are viewed and marked as unread
- Cannot withdraw Outlook mails that are used by any third party application in the receivers end
How to withdraw sent outlook mail?
If an Outlook scenario satisfies all the above mentioned criteria then the mails sent through Outlook can be withdrawn without effort. Consider that you have hit “send mail” option before completing the mail and mail is also sent successfully. In that case try the steps provided here.
- Go to “Sent items” in the left pane or by using Mail >> Sent Items in the Navigation pane
- Open the mail that was sent by mistake by double clicking on it
- In the mail window choose Actions >> Recall This Message… or Other Actions >> Recall This Message…
- A window with 3 options will be displayed as of in the figure
Delete unread copies of this message:
This option will delete the mail in the exchange server before the receiver opens the mail or read the mail in the inbox and there won’t be any impacts of the mail will be left in receivers Exchange Server.
Delete unread copies and replace with a new message
This option is similar to the first one. Only difference here the user will be allowed to replace the old message with a new or edited message.
By check boxing the “Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient” option will notify the user that the requested withdrawal of Outlook mail is successful or not.
There are some add-ons are available to do this process in Outlook. The main reason for not recommending these add-ons because sometimes they act weird and may corrupt the Outlook PST file resulting in a complete inactive Outlook. Only a perfect PST repair tool like Remo Repair Outlook PST can repair the damaged PST at times. In addition, this application also assists user to recover Outlook profile after deletion due to virus attacks, etc.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.