Hard drive industry is one of the pillars of fast growing techno world. Many of us might come upon this query “What’s happening inside a HDD?” The answer to the above question lies below.
There are headers and magnetic disk inside the HDD. The header is used for reading and writing data into the HDD. The magnetic disks are captivated into tracks and sectors to store the data. Whenever data is written on a HDD, it is stored in the form of hash tables and index tables. The hash tables contain the data in the form of bits and bytes. And, the index table is used to reroute the header to actual data area in the hash tables.
Whenever a data is deleted from the HDD, we are just simply clearing the index pointers alone. The actual data remains in the internal hard drive memory. If you think that your data is safely deleted from your hard drive, it is wrong. The deleted data will be safe only when the data memory is rewritten by junk files. Manually it is not possible. Good drive wipe software like Remo Drive Wipe can safeguard your deleted data from restoration by malicious users.
Some unknown facts about hard drive:
- Hard drives are categorized based on the technology used in it and not based on its size. Some of them are SCSI, SATA, SSD and SSHD
- Unlike SCSI and SATA, SSD do not use magnetic drives or any electro-mechanical components to store data in them in spite they use integrated circuits to store data in them.
- Before the SSD discovery, the nano technology helped to build large sized hard drive. It may take a few months to write internal memories to the magnetic disks.
- The next generation hard drives are called Solid State Hybrid Drives (SSHD), which is a combination of traditional HDD and SSD. The SSHD has larger buffer size and ultra speed flash memory to fetch and write data more efficiently on the magnetic disks.
- Most of all a common myth revolves that an internal laptop hard drive cannot be used as an alternative in desktop PC. It’s wrong! Laptop internal HDD and SSD can be used in desktop PC as well with the help of suitable connectors and converters.
- A hard drive with N partitions will take much time to initiate and load than a hard drive with only a single partition.
There are nearly around 200 hard drive manufacturing companies was estimated since it was first discovered. Many companies survived and some of them failed to survive in the day-to-day survival of the fittest. The big companies made use of this situation and acquired the small but outraging companies.
Some of the acquisitions are given here. Seagate acquired control data, conner, Maxtor, Samsung, Lacie, miniscribe, quantum and plus. Western digital owned tendon, Hitachi and IBM. And Toshiba got Fujitsu, Hitachi and IBM. The acquisition does not mean owning the whole company. The acquisitions refer to getting of copy writes for certain technologies and use them in their product. Seagate technologies top the order in the hard drive race.
Isn't it some of the interesting facts about hard drives. But we were only limited to its usage, that is storing our data. I would like to suggest you an interesting software which i came across recently which provides hard drive recovery - Remo Recover Windows Pro. It will be helpful to you in case you lose your hard drive data at some point of time.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.