Boot camp is a multi-boot utility or an application provided by Apple Inc. that assists users to install Windows OS on Intel based Mac machines that have Mac 10.5 (Leopard) and Mac 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
It has two programs; one is Boot camp assistant and Boot Camp software. The utility's Boot Camp Assistant guides users in disk partitioning and even resizing an existing HFS+ partition of their hard disk drive. It reserves one partition for Windows without harming the data that’s present on the device. And with this Boot camp assistant you can even restore your Mac machine to its original settings, after removing the windows partition.
The main purpose of Boot camp is to recognize the Windows disks at the boot time. Hence, you can choose between the Windows and Mac OS when you boot Mac OS. It even installs a Windows Control Panel applet for selecting the boot operating system. One important feature of Boot Camp is that it can run Windows at your hardware's native speed, without the virtualization layer that programs such as Parallels and Fusion require.
Boot Camp made the process of installing a Windows partition on your computer very simple. For some users, Boot camp is an important tool, but for others it just consumes unnecessary hard drive space and processing power. After installing Windows on Mac, you might feel that the storage space for Mac is insufficient or your Mac machine may become slow. In such instances, deleting the Windows OS will release the memory allocated to the Mac. Hence, if you decide to delete the Windows then you can easily delete the Boot Camp partition of Windows, it’s just a simple process.
If you want to delete the windows Boot Camp partition then, first you need to open the Boot Camp Assistant software and follow the instructions given below:
- First launch the "Boot Camp Assistant" application. The software is under the folder "Applications" folder under "Utilities". Note: On Windows 8 - Launcher -> Utilities
- You will receive a brief introduction about the Boot Camp software, just press “Continue”, to see all the options i.e. whether to install or uninstall Windows on Mac OS.
- From the list of options, just select “Create or Remove a Windows Partition” in the next window. Click “Next”.
- Click “Restore” to delete the Windows partition and restore the disk to a single partition. you may be asked for a password , just enter the account password.
- Once it is completed, you will receive a dialog box with message “The Windows partition has been removed and your disk restored to a single volume”. Now just click on “Quit” button to close the Boot Camp Assistant.
Thus, your Windows Boot camp partition is deleted now and your system is restored have single Mac OS. Deletion of Windows Boot camp partition releases all the unnecessary space occupied by Windows and thus increasing the speed and performance of Mac OS.
However, with these advantages, one bad news is that all the data contained on your Windows partition will be erased, but your Mac OS X data remains. Hence, if you have not taken the backup prior to deleting the boot camp partition then you will lose all your vital data on your Windows systems! In such cases you can make use of Remo Recover Windows and recover all your lost data from the deleted Windows partition. Nevertheless, it’s mandatory to take backup before deleting your Windows Boot camp partition. By employing this tool, user can undelete partition on both Windows and Mac machines.