While using MS Outlook you might have come across various types of error messages which restricted you from accessing MS Outlook. And, Outlook error “The data file was not closed properly this file is being checked for problems” is one among them. Here I am going to show you how to fix MS Outlook not closed properly error in few steps.
Before going to fixes, here are common reasons that result in Outlook not closed properly error: -
- Outlook is being used by other programs
- Faulty Add-ins
- PST file corruption
- Conflicts between Outlook and other programs
Solution to Fix MS Outlook Not Closed Properly Error: -
Solution 1: Terminate Outlook Using Task Manager
If Outlook running in the background is the reason for the error, then close it using Task Manager.
- Right click on Task Bar and click on Task Manager option
- Then, select Processes option and select EXE
- And, click on End Process Button
Solution 2: Disable Unnecessary Add-Ins from Outlook
Faulty Add-ins installed on your Outlook can also be the cause for Outlook error. So, find these faulty Add-ins and disable them from Outlook. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below-
- Navigate to Outlook and select File menu
- Then, click on Options and select the Add-Ins
- Go to COM Add-ins and select Go option
- Unmark all available Add-Ins that are already checked and press OK button
Solution 3: Change Registry key
Editing Registry key may help you to solve Outlook not closed properly error. But, editing registry requires more knowledge. So, this is not recommended if you don’t know much about Windows Registry.
- Open Run window and type “regedit.exe”
- In Registry Editor, navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Addins\“.
- Now, select numerical subkey and then, add DWORD value
- RequireShutdownNotification in the subkey
- In the details panel, right-click on a new value and hit Modify
- In the Value Data box, enter value 1
Solution 4: Disable Interrupting Programs
If any program is interrupting MS Outlook, then disable it to fix the error MS Outlook not closed properly. Once after fixing the issue, you can enable them.
Solution 5: Use Inbox Repair Tool
In case, PST file corruption is the reason for above error, then fix it using Microsoft Inbuilt repair tool named as Scanpst.exe.
- Select Scanpst.exe and then double click on it
- When Inbox Repair Tool window appears, select the PST file that has to be fixed
- Click on Start button
- It scans and displays errors, then hit Repair button
If Inbox Repair Tool doesn’t solve the issue, use third party software like Remo PST Repair tool to fix Outlook data file. The software can be used to fix PST file in many situations like when Outlook refuses to open on Windows 7, if Outlook stops responding on Windows 10, etc. It is one of the easy ways to fix damaged PST file.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.