Using your newly purchased computer can be really exciting. At the same time, it would be really pleasing if you had all the data from the old computer, including emails and other data from Outlook.
You can certainly move Outlook to a new computer. But unlike your regular data, you cannot move Outlook profile to a new computer with simple copy-paste methods.
You need to follow a sequence of steps to be able to migrate your Outlook along with the profile. Read the complete article to safely move all your Outlook profile information to the new computer.
Note: If you are uncertain about moving Outlook data or find it difficult to move Outlook profile manually, click here to find the automated way to move Outlook data to a new computer using an impressive tool.
Migrate Outlook Profile to New computer by Exporting Registry key
A registry key contains all the information about the user’s profile. By transferring this file on your new computer you can access Outlook and its data. Here is how you can do it.
- Choose Windows+R to open the Run command and type regedit
- From the Registry Editor Window navigate to
- Right-click on Profile and select export
- Next, choose the location to save the exported Outlook profile, provide a file name and click on Save
- After creating the registration file, transfer the Outlook profile to a portable storage drive and copy it on to the new computer.
- Finally, run the copied file on the new computer to add it to the registry.
Caution: While migrating the Outlook Profile key, some or all of your Outlook data could be lost if you are moving it to a different version. Follow the next method to properly move the Outlook PST file to another computer without losing the data.
Move Outlook Profile to New Computer by Importing PST File
Before migrating the Outlook profile, you will have to take the backup of the PST file. After taking the backup follow steps mentioned below to backup and migrate the Outlook profile to a new computer.
- Open Outlook application and click on the file tab
- Select the Open and Export option to reveal the Import/ Export option and click on it
- From the Import and Export wizard, select Export to a file option and click on next
- Now select Outlook Data File (.pst) option and click on next
- Next, from the list of outlook profiles, choose the one you wish to recover and click on Next.
- Finally, browse for a location to save the PST file and click on Finish
After backing up the PST file copy the file to the new computer and follow the below steps
- Open Outlook application and choose on the File tab
- Click on Open & Export and select Import/Export option
- Next, select Import from another program or file and click on Next
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Browse for the (.pst) file that you have saved to import Outlook data and click Next
After successfully coping Outlook profile to a new computer, you may have to recreate your Outlook settings, rules and alerts to be able to access data like on the old computer.
Moving your Outlook Profile to a new computer may not seem easy. Migrating and restoring data such as your personal settings, rules, and alerts is not possible manually, you might as well lose precious data if done wrong. Why take chances when you could automatically move your complete Outlook profile with all its data. Download and try the Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate to make your job easy in transferring outlook profile to a new computer. You can effectively move Outlook data including saved emails, contacts, journals, settings, and other attributes.
Application to Migrate Outlook Profile to New Computer
To migrate Outlook along with attributes to new computer download Remo Migration Tool for Outlook on your computer from which you have to migrate Outlook, launch the application, and follow the below-mentioned steps:
- From the Main screen click on the Backup option
- In the next screen, you can choose between Smart backup or Advanced Backup
- After completion of the backup process save the file on to the desired location.
- If you are moving Outlook to another computer then you have to copy the file in a USB drive on to the new computer where you want to import Outlook PST.
You will have to download and install the Remo Outlook Migration Tool in the new computer as well.
- Launch the tool and click on Migrate
- Browse for the Outlook data file backup which had been backed up from the previous computer and click Next
- Select the Outlook attributes that you wish to move to the new computer and click Next
- After the Outlook migration is done, click on Finish
- Open Outlook application on the new computer, click the File tab and open Account settings
- Choose the email account from the list and click Set as Default button to activate the profile.
Moving Outlook profile to a new computer can be done in various ways as mentioned above. However, make sure you follow the steps properly for a successful migration. But if you are uncertain about manual methods, utilize Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool for a quick and easy transfer. In case of any doubts regarding this information do let us know in the comment section below.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.