From scheduling meetings to sending reports Microsoft Outlook is the center of professional communication and activity. While most of us relied on our IT support for solving most day to day problems in Outlook, the pandemic has taken away that luxury.
Times like these, it can be very useful to learn how to handle Outlook downtime and become self-reliant to export, setup, or transfer Outlook data. Also with a little tweaking and organizing, you can blaze through your Outlook work routine and boost your productivity.
This blog post is designed to be a handbook for any Outlook user. Find answers to fix different Outlook errors easily, backup and migrate Outlook profile safely, and personalize Outlook efficiently.
Outlook not opening? Unable to send or receive emails? Challenges like fixing different Microsoft Outlook errors without expert help, finding the right email at the right time, coordinating, and communicating with your team while working from home can be challenging and troublesome. Click above to start fixing Outlook errors and send/receive emails without any hassle.
The transition to work from home is demanding. It requires moving Outlook data to another email account or Outlook version. Sometimes you will have to completely migrate your Outlook profile to a new computer as you change your workstation. Some of you would even want to archive or backup Outlook data due to scarcity of storage.
Click above to learn all about exporting, importing, and migrating your Outlook data file containing tasks, meetings, calendar, and contacts.
To fight the Covid-19 pandemic is to keep calm and work from home. Working from home has its own challenges and growing professionally at times like this, requires you to be an avid and quick learner, and more importantly, become self-reliant to overcome obstacles in daily tasks. Click above to jump directly to simple tricks that can boost your Outlook productivity
According to an anonymous survey at, least 55% of all Microsoft Outlook users have encountered errors at one point or the other. Most annoying of the Outlook errors either devoid you from opening Outlook or stop sending and receiving emails.
Listed are a few common Outlook errors along with different methods to fix them for free
- Outlook Send Receive error
- Old emails not showing up in a different computer
- Cannot open Outlook error
- Outlook requests for a password each time you send an email
- Outlook crashes often
- OST file Synchronization error
Outlook Send/Receive error can occur due to different reasons. If you have happened to receive this Outlook Send/Receive error. This is how you have to fix it.
- Check if you are able to access the internet on your computer. In most cases fixing the internet automatically fixes this Outlook Send/Receive error.
- Delete all unnecessary and suspicious emails from your Outlook. Any suspicious email existing under your Outlook inbox, trash, promotions, and any other folder can cause this Outlook 0x80040610 error.
- Uninstall Anti-virus software and verify it. You can fix Outlook send receive error by uninstalling or disabling the Anti-virus program. Anti-virus Outlook add-ins can cause direct conflict and stop the send-receive process.
If any of these above methods did not help you fix Outlook Send/Receive error. Then, the error is caused due to corruption in the PST file.
PST file is an Outlook file that contains all your emails, contacts, calendars, notes, and many more. Any corruption or damage to this PST file can also cause this Outlook error. You can easily repair corrupt PST file in simple clicks.
Some of the common reasons leading to Outlook Send/Receive error are as follows:
- A Send/Receive error can be caused by antivirus applications.
- Synchronization problem.
- Large-sized attachments, and many more.
Do you think that some of your Outlook emails on the Office desktop are missing in your current laptop or computer that you are using to work from home?
If yes, then, it could be that email settings on your current laptop and Office computer might be different.
The simplest method to solve this situation is to manually copy and paste the PST file from the office computer to your current laptop.
You can also try switching your Outlook profile to the IMAP protocol to enable synchronization of emails on the exchange server with the emails in Outlook.
What to do if you encounter a Microsoft Outlook error saying “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened”?
Let us find out a few common reasons that can cause this cannot start Microsoft Outlook error before you try fixing it.
Cannot open Outlook? It can be due to:
- Corruption in the Navigation Pane settings file.
- An outdated version of Microsoft Outlook.
- Damaged Outlook data file, etc.
If you cannot open Outlook here is how you can probably fix it:
- Reset Navigation Pane settings file.
Navigation Pane is located at the leftmost side of the Outlook Window, which includes emails, contacts, notes, tasks, calendar, etc.
- Close Outlook and click Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type or Copy and paste outlook.exe /resetnavpane in the Open box and press OK
- Restart your computer and then, Open/Start Outlook.
The above steps will reset your Outlook Navigation Pane setting file and simultaneously help you fix cannot open Outlook error.
- Repair Outlook data file.
- Create a new Outlook Profile.
If none of the above methods help you fix this Outlook error then, download Remo Repair Outlook PST which is a specially designed tool to repair any PST file corruption, damage, and errors like cannot open Outlook error.
If you experience an issue where you are asked to enter a password for an email you send each time then, you can update the Outlook profile with your credentials to fix this Outlook issue.
- Start Outlook and choose File tab and Info
- Then choose Account Settings and again select the Account Settings option.
- Now, choose the Email tab and then, right-click your email account listed in the Email Accounts box and hit Change tab.
- Under the Logon Information section, enter your Password and check the Remember Password box.
- Now, save the updated changes you made to your profile and close Outlook.
Does your Outlook crash often? Do you see your Outlook froze while Processing or opening? Then, this could be due to the add-ins you use in your Outlook account or Outlook profile corruption. Try disabling the add-ins to solve this Outlook error.
Here is what to do to disable add-ins to fix frequently crashing Outlook:
- Open Outlook and click on the File tab.
- Select Options and then go to Add-ins and hit the Go button.
- Now uncheck the add-ins which are causing this error and restart your Outlook.
OST file is an Offline Storage Table that allows users to work Offline on Outlook during server issues, no internet connection, and many more. By enabling cache exchange mode, one can easily compose emails, set reminders, calendar, and many more even when offline.
Once the internet becomes available, the changes you made to your OST file get synced with the Microsoft exchange server.
However, any failure in synchronization between the OST file and Exchange server can result in missing emails, corruption in data.
Some common reasons for OST file Synchronization error are as follows:
- The technical error between Outlook files and Exchange Server connectivity.
- Corrupt or damaged OST file.
- Email account deleted from the Exchange Server.
Methods to fix Outlook Synchronization issue:
- The first thing to do after you encounter this Outlook error is to check if you have enabled Use Cached exchange mode. This can cause sync errors
- Fix Outlook Sync error with the help of the Outlook inbox repair tool.
- Take a backup of your corrupt OST file and then, delete and recreate OST file to fix the OST file synchronization error.
- Manually Sync OST file and Exchange server data
- Open Microsoft Outlook and go to individual folders like Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc.
- Now select the Send/Receive tab, and click on the Update Folder option to update the selected folder.
If none of the methods works for you, then you can convert your corrupt OST to PST file to fix this Outlook sync error.
Utilize Remo Convert OST to PST which is designed with a user-friendly interface to safely convert your corrupt or damaged OST file into healthy PST file. And later, you can import this PST file to access all your emails, contacts, notes, and many more.
Any Outlook user Working from home during Covid-19 crisis might deal with the following circumstances
- Switching to a new work email account.
- Changing your work computer which requires Outlook migration
- Transferring all your Outlook emails from a Windows computer to a Mac.
- Maintain a regular backup of all your important Outlook emails and other Outlook items to avoid Outlook errors and data loss risks.
If your requirement matches any of the above cases you can make use of Outlook to export all your Outlook Contacts, Emails, Calendar, etc. from your existing outlook account to a .pst file format and then, importing it to your destination PC or laptop.
What is a .pst file?
PST file is a personal storage table contains all your Outlook data such as emails, contacts, calendars, notes, etc. Generally, the Microsoft Outlook uses the PST file format to create a back up of your Outlook data.
How to Export & Import /Backup Outlook emails and other attributes from your office desktop to New computer?
This section involves exporting and importing Outlook with two different methods
- Manual Method to Backup Outlook
- Backup Outlook using Remo OBM software
Manual Method to Backup Outlook
The manual method involves exporting and importing Outlook
1. How to Export Microsoft Outlook Data?
- Open Outlook and select File.
- Under the Open & Export option, choose Import/Export.
- Select Export to a file and click the Next button.
- Choose the Outlook data file (.pst) and click the Next button.
- Now, choose the email account to be exported into a PST file format and then, select or tick Include Subfolders checkbox and hit Next.
- Browse and enter a file name to save your Outlook data in a location of your choice.
- Finally, click OK to export Outlook into the PST file and hit the Finish button.
In this way, you can easily export all your Outlook emails, contacts, calendar, etc.
To transfer it to New computer, copy the exported PST file to an external storage drive like a USB drive or external HDD and paste it to the destination or new computer. And finally, follow the below method of importing your Outlook data.
2. How to Import Outlook to New computer?
Open Outlook in your new computer > select File and click Open & Export > Now choose Import/Export option and then, choose Import from another program or file and hit Next > Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next > Now Browse to the PST file (copied from the old computer) to import emails and other Outlook items and click Next > Finally hit Finish button.
However in-built Microsoft Outlook export and import features are confusing and time-consuming, especially for a novice user. The folders and rules you created to organize your mails also vanish.
Backup Outlook using Remo OBM software
Make use of Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool to transfer all our Outlook data such as emails, contacts, calendars, reminders, settings, folder structure, rules, etc. in just simple clicks.
How to Transfer Outlook data using Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool?
- Launch Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool on your old computer and click Backup option from the main screen.
- Select the Smart Backup option and click Next and then, select the location to save your Outlook data and click Next to complete exporting.
Note: Copy the exported Outlook file to an external drive like a USB drive and paste it to the New or destination computer.
- Launch Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate tool on your new computer and click Migrate option on the main screen.
- Click Browse to select the copied Outlook file to be imported to your new Outlook account and click Next.
- Finally, click Next to successfully complete the Migration of your Outlook emails, contacts, calendar, and other Outlook items with rules, folder structure, and many more.
If you are using Outlook to just send and receive emails, you are definitely underutilizing the Outlook application. You are missing out on a lot of features that can make things more convenient and easy for you. From boosting your productivity, work-life balance to making usage effortless, Outlook can be a great work companion.
Make your Outlook more personalized with Rules
Personalizing Outlook with rules helps you stay organized and keeps your up to date for emails you receive under a specific set of rules created.
Follow the steps to set a rule for your emails:
- Open Outlook and click on the Home tab.
- Click the Rules option and then, select Manage Rules & Alerts
- Now, click the New Rule tab and it will display the Rules Wizard.
From this Rule Wizard, you can organize your emails such as moving messages with particular words to a specific folder, moving messages received from a specific sender to a particular folder, etc. You can also set a sound to play on a message received from a specific sender, and many more.
Note: Click on the link to find out complete information on how to create rules in Outlook to manage inbox efficiently.
How to Color Outlook emails Received from a specific sender?
Microsoft Outlook offers specific default formats for the messages you receive. For example, Unread messages appear in bold, Not Sent messages to appear in italics, etc.
But do you know you can color emails you receive from specific people?
If you don’t know to color categorize Outlook emails then, follow the steps to learn how to color emails with specific words or a subject line, messages from a specific person for example CEO, Manager, important client, employees, and etc.
- Open Outlook 2019 and select the View tab,
- Click View Settings, and select Conditional Formatting under Advanced View Settings window.
- Under Conditional Formatting window select Add button.
- Create a name for the Conditional formatting rule, such as Manager.
- Then, select the Font button.
Note: Now you can make changes to the Font, Font style, Font size, add color, and effects.
- Click OK.
Some Final Tips:
- Do comment if you encounter any other Outlook errors that are not mentioned above.
- It is always recommended to take a backup of all your Outlook but remember, exporting and importing cannot move all your OST file data.
- Utilize Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate software to backup and migrate your Outlook data in just simple clicks.
- Microsoft Outlook comes with advanced features such as categorizing your Outlook emails, notes, and many more, sorting Outlook emails, coloring emails, setting rules, etc. Explore them to make your Outlook usage more efficient.
Tony Landry is a Web Content Editor at Remo Software. He loves to write, edit, and manage content for users trying to troubleshoot and fix problems on Windows, Outlook, storage drives and Cloud storage networks.
He has published more than 200 articles in Remo Software blog. He actively engages in research and problem-solving techniques to consistently generate great web content. Fixing various hardware problems on computer and storage devices along with a great knack for fixing Outlook errors, Tony is also the fun-time IT guy for all his work friends. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoys cycling.