So, let me guess.
When you start using Outlook, you probably thought this would be the easiest thing to do, and you kept sending & receiving emails for years, until…
One day when you looked into your Outlook data files, to your surprise, it had grown into a huge 125 GB file and problems had started to pop up out of the blue.
It was supposed to be simple. It was supposed to be easy. It was supposed to be problem free.
But, is it?
For most of us, it had happened or still, you may be on the verge of committing the same mistake.
Anyone may encounter issues if they don’t learn to manage PST files.
It is amusing how we expect so much from Outlook and never care of its limitations. Outlook has its own share of reservations that’s necessary from its performance point of view. Speaking of data, the first thing that often strikes my the mind are Outlook PST files. Assuming regular Outlook users will be aware of its meaning and role, let’s discuss the oversized Outlook PST files and its pros and cons in detail.
Frankly, there are no pros – only cons when talking about oversized PST files. It is recommended not to go beyond or exceed the 50 GB bar when it comes to oversized PST files. If done so, the performance of the Outlook degrades and several issues crop up making it’s difficult for the user to access and handle Outlook.
Let us look at all the problems caused by oversized PST files, one by one.
- Uneasy Access: The response time of an oversized PST is painstakingly slow. Accessing contacts and emails can be quite a headache.
- Repeated Crash: Your Outlook keeps getting crashed again and again. MS Outlook makes use of a special container which is nothing but the Personal Storage Table. It stores Emails, Contacts, Notes and other useful Outlook elements. This table possesses a fixed storage limit. If the limit is crossed, it will crash.
- File Corruption: Often, it has been observed that oversized PST files get corrupted or damaged in the interim. When it happens, it is almost impossible to access them.
- Midway Hang-ups: Your Outlook application faces several long-standing pauses while you are accessing them or working on them. It indeed makes a lot of inconvenience and wastage of time.
- Background Sync Error: Errors such as “Task Microsoft Exchange Server reported error (0x00040820): ‘Errors in background synchronization….” is encountered by users when trying to access their mailboxes.
Microsoft has provided its users a built-in facility “Inbox Repair Tool” to fix problems resulting from Outlook file corruption. But sadly, this tool isn’t enough to fix or resolve all the issues an oversized PST file causes. Instead, you can opt for compacting and splitting of PST files. Either of the two will serve their purpose.
Learn how to effectively compact oversized PST files.
Warning: Before you attempt compacting or splitting, it is recommended to take a backup of your PST files. You never know what and when things could go wrong.
“Happy Out-looking” !
Customer Evangelist @remosoftware. Trying to perfect the art of writing while running a business. Fan of exceptional customer service.