Working for hours on the PSD files and later realizing that you cannot open them creates a horrible experience. There are various reasons that can make your PSD file an invalid photoshop document. And thereby results in Photoshop not recognizing your PSD file.
In the below section of an article we have provided with the user query with the error “photoshop not opening”.
Little bit of a problem, I cannot open my PSD, please tell me if there is a fix. I already tried reinstalling photoshop, but it just won't open my PSD file and I don't wanna redo all of that work I have in there.
Source:- A User Query from Reddit
Common Photoshop Errors that Occur while opening the PSD
Following are the few common errors that you might encounter while opening the PSD file in Photoshop. These errors basically mean that the PSD file cannot be opened in Photoshop.
- Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document.
- Photoshop cannot open files in the format.
- Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.
- PSD not a valid Photoshop document.
- File could not be found in Photoshop.
- Open with Photoshop not working.
- Photoshop won’t open files
- Can't open your request because it is not valid Photoshop
Most of the time, Photoshop cannot open your PSD file due to corruption or damage. In case, if you have tried troubleshooting fixes but it did not help you fix the issue , then it's time for you to choose Remo Repair PSD software.
Remo Repair PSD is a specialized tool for repairing corrupted PSD, PDD, and PSB files instantly. This tool comes in handy when the PSD file is not opening in Adobe Photoshop due to various reasons like corruption, damage, PSD file compatibility issue, etc.
The software works with advanced PSD file repairing algorithms to fix damaged PSD file on Mac or Windows by restoring its color mode, such as Bitmap, grey-scale, indexed color, RGB color, CMYK color, multichannel color, duotone, or lab color intact.
How to Fix a PSD File Not Opening In Photoshop?
1. Re-Open the PSD files
If you are unable to open PSD files on Photoshop then, wait for some time and reopen the PSD files. If the problem still persists, then quit and reopen the Photoshop program and try opening the PSD files again. If the PSD file still doesn't open in Photoshop, then move down to the next method.
2. Check/Uncheck OpenGL Display and Update Device Drivers
- Go to Photoshop Select Edit Click Preferences Choose Performance Now, a window will open: Uncheck [ ] Enable OpenGL Display and click on OK.
- Now close and restart Photoshop.
- Enable OpenGL Display after updating your display driver, or else you will not be able to use OpenGL features.
3. Reinstall Adobe Photoshop
If none of your PSD files open on the Adobe Photoshop tool. Then, this issue might be related to the application itself. During such times, the best way to fix this error is to reinstall the Photoshop application and try reopening the PSD file.
If you are unable to fix the error even after reinstalling the application, then move on to the next method as this can be due to severe corruption or damage to the PSD file.
4. Check if your Photoshop Version Support Windows/Mac version
Each app has minimum requirements that must be met by your computer in order for it to run. The same can be said for Photoshop, which requires specific hardware and software components to function on your PC.
|System Requirements for Photoshop on Windows||Minimal Requirements||Recommended Requirements|
|Processor||2 GHz or faster multicore Intel or AMD processor with 64-bit capability and SSE 4.2 or later||2 GHz or faster multicore Intel or AMD processor with 64-bit capability and SSE 4.2 or later|
|Operating System||preferably Windows 10 64-bit (version 20H2); Versions of LTSC are not supported.||preferably Windows 10 64-bit (version 20H2); Versions of LTSC are not supported.|
|Graphic Card||GPU that supports DirectX12GPU memory of 1.5 GB||Processor that supports DirectX124 GB of GPU memory|
|Hard Disk Space||20 GB||50 GB|
2) For macOS:
|System Requirements for Photoshop on Mac||Minimal Requirements||Recommended Requirements|
|Processor||2 GHz or higher multicore Intel processor with SSE 4.2 or later and 64-bit support||2 GHz or higher multicore Intel processor with SSE 4.2 or later and 64-bit support|
|Operating System||macOS Big Sur (11.0) or newer is required.||macOS Big Sur (version 11) or newer.|
|RAM||8 GB||16 GB|
|Graphics Card||GPU memory of 1.5 GB||GPU memory of 4 GB|
|Hard Disk Space||20 GB||50 GB|
As we saw in the above article that the Photoshop minimum requirements to run on the Windows or Mac computer. If the photoshop application is not meeting minimum requirements, then you might receive various errors.
5. Run Photoshop with Admin mode
Photoshop will not launch on your PC because it needs necessary permissions. In this scenario, you can launch the software as an administrator, giving it superuser access to your computer.
- Go to the Search bar and type Photoshop and Run as Administrator.
- In User Account Control Prompt select Yes.
- If Photoshop successfully launches in admin mode, configure it so that it always launches the software in admin mode:
- Go to your Photoshop tool and Right click on it and select Properties.
- Now select the Advanced tab and select the check box Run as Administrator and OK.
6. Fix Corrupt PSD File Not Opening Using Remo Repair PSD Tool
If Your PSD file is severely virus-infected, then you cannot open or access the PSD file. The only way to open a corrupt PSD file in Photoshop is by repairing it using Remo Repair PSD software.
Utilize Remo Repair PSD, a user-friendly tool to quickly fix PSD files not opening in Photoshop. This tool is compatible with all the latest versions of Windows and Mac operating systems including Windows 11 and macOS Ventura.
(Download and install Remo Repair PSD tool on your Windows computer and follow the below steps.)
- Launch the Remo Repair PSD software and click the Browse button to select the corrupt PSD file that is not opening in Photoshop.
- Next, hit the Repair button to start the PSD file repair process.
- Now you can click on the Preview option and view the PSD files. Finally, you can select the PSD file which you can save and click on the Save option and browse the location of your choice.
Why can't I open my PSD file?
There are various reasons that can lead to the PSD file not opening in Photoshop. Some of the common reasons are as follows:
- Adobe Photoshop application malfunction.
- Damaged or corrupt PSD file.
- Abrupt termination of Photoshop while editing or saving the PSD file.
- Opening .psd file with incompatible Adobe Photoshop version.
- Editing PSD file directly from removable drives
- Using unreliable tools to restore PSD files.
Photoshop is a fantastic tool for photo editing and retouching. Sometimes it can become annoying and worrisome when you cannot open the PSD file in Photoshop. Fortunately, there are fixes for this issue. However, if you are unable to fix the issue manually then we recommend you make use of the Remo Repair PSD tool.