Working for hours on the PSD files and later realizing that you cannot open them creates a horrible experience. There are various reasons that can make your PSD file an invalid photoshop document. And thereby result in Photoshop not recognizing your PSD file.
Here in this article, find out different errors and reasons that cause photoshop won’t open files along with 4 proven methods to fix PSD file not opening in Photoshop with ease.
Common Errors that mean PSD file not opening in Photoshop
Following are the few common errors that you might encounter while opening the PSD file. These errors basically mean that the PSD file cannot be opened in Photoshop.
- Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document.
- Photoshop cannot open files in the format.
- Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.
- PSD not a valid Photoshop document.
- File could not be found Photoshop.
- Open with Photoshop not working.
- Photoshop won’t open files
- Can't open your request because it is not valid Photoshop
Why I can’t open my PSD file?
There are various reasons that can lead to the PSD file not opening in Photoshop error. Some of the common reasons are as follows:
- Adobe Photoshop application malfunction.
- Damaged or corrupt PSD file.
- Abrupt termination of Photoshop while editing or saving the PSD file.
- Opening .psd file with incompatible Adobe Photoshop version.
- Editing PSD file directly from removable drives
- Using unreliable tools to restore PSD files.
Make use of Remo Repair PSD software to repair your damaged or corrupted PSD, PDD, and PSB files instantly. This PSD Repair tool comes in handy when the PSD file does not open in Adobe Photoshop due to corruption. Download this tool to fix and preview your PSD file not opening!
How To Fix PSD File Not Opening In Photoshop?
Method 1: Re-Open the PSD files
If you are unable to open PSD files on Photoshop then, wait for some time and reopen the PSD files. If the problem still persists, then quit and reopen the Photoshop program and try opening the PSD files again. If the PSD file still doesn't open in Photoshop, then move down to the next method.
Method 2: Check/Uncheck OpenGL Display and Update Device Drivers
- Go to Photoshop > Select Edit > Click Preferences > Choose Performance > Now, a window will open: Uncheck [ ] Enable OpenGL Display and click OK.
- Now close and restart Photoshop.
- Enable OpenGL Display after updating your display driver, or else you will not be able to use OpenGL features.
Method 3: Reinstall Adobe Photoshop
If none of your PSD files open on the Adobe Photoshop tool. Then, this issue might be related to the application itself. During such times, the best way to fix this error is to reinstall the Photoshop application and try reopening the PSD file.
If you are unable to fix the error even after reinstalling the application, then move on to the next method as this can be due to severe corruption or damage to the PSD file.
Method 4: Fix Corrupt PSD File Not Opening Using Remo Repair PSD Tool
If Your PSD file is severely virus-infected, then you cannot open or access the PSD file. Any corruption or damage in the PSD file pops up error messages. The only way to open a corrupt PSD file in Photoshop is by repairing it using Remo Repair PSD software.
Utilize Remo Repair PSD, a user-friendly tool to quickly fix PSD file not opening in Photoshop. This tool requires only 3 clicks to safely repair any corrupt or damaged PSD and PDD file. This tool is compatible with all the latest versions of Windows and Mac operating systems including Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur.
Steps To Repair PSD File Not Opening in Photoshop
(Download and install Remo Repair PSD tool and follow the below simple steps.)
- Launch the Remo Repair PSD software and click the Browse button to select the corrupt PSD file not opening in Photoshop.
- Next, hit the Repair button to start PSD file repair process.
- After the PSD file repairing process ends, you can preview the repaired PSD file using the Preview option for free and click Save option to save the repaired PSD file on a preferred destination of your choice to open it in Photoshop.
Supported Adobe Photoshop Versions:
Remo Repair PSD software supports PSD file repairing from all the latest versions of Photoshop like Photoshop 2020 (version 21), CC (2013-2019), CS6, CS5, and many more.
What more can you do with Remo Repair PSD Software?
- The tool fixes corrupted Photoshop PDD files and even RLE compressed PSD files in an easy and simple way.
- It assists you in repairing large-sized PSD, PDD, and PSB files.
- Fixes PSD file with depth of 1, 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel.
- It repairs various Photoshop errors like "incompatible PSD file", "Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file", etc.
- The software repairs the damaged PSD file on Mac and Windows by keeping its color mode, such as Bitmap, gray-scale, indexed color, RGB color, CMYK color, multichannel color, duotone, lab color, etc. intact.
Molly is the Lead Technical Specialist with distinguished knowledge and understanding of Mac computers and operating systems. Being a veteran photographer and video recovery specialist, Molly’s expertise on video formats and file repair has helped restore a lot of videos and cherished memories of users.
As a technical specialist she also believes in learning and spreading knowledge about the current and trending aspects of various media formats, Adobe Photoshop and macOS troubleshooting. A full-fledged learner, caffeine-lover and a firm-believer that technology would make the world a better place.