Hard drive partition becoming unreadable or RAW partition error might be a common issue but it puts the files saved on the RAW drive in a critical situation. As when a drive turns RAW, the contents of the drive become completely inaccessible. This situation comes along with a probability of catastrophic data loss if you try to fix the RAW partition manually. In this article, we will discuss a comprehensive piece of content that expands on how to recover data from a RAW partition simultaneously, how to fix it.
Symptoms of a Raw Partition
- Whenever you connect the storage drive to PC and try to access the files an error message appears saying "Disk is not formatted. The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
- You can also get other error messages like “You need to format the disk in drive: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?”
- Sometimes the pop-up will say: The drive is inaccessible because the parameter is incorrect.
- Even if you run chkdsk for the RAW drive to fix the corruption. The command will not get executed and you will again receive an error saying: The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives or Convert is not available for RAW drives.”
- While running other console operations, there will be error messages saying “The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.”
- The file system will appear as RAW when you check in the properties of the drive. It might also show used and free spaces as 0 bytes in size.
What is a RAW partition?
RAW partition simply means that the file system of the drive is RAW and your computer OS cannot recognize it. This might not always mean that the partition is damaged. For example, if a drive is formatted with APFS or Apple file system which is only used on the Apple platform. using APFS drive on Windows 10 will be marked as RAW because Windows cannot detect APFS. In this case, you just have to find the right device to access the files on the RAW partition.
At the same time, a partition will also be marked RAW if the file system is damaged. So, if the partition is RAW due to a damaged file system, you have to fix it manually to access the drive.
Can I Recover Data from a RAW Partition?
Yes, it is possible to recover data from a RAW partition drive. But to ensure a successful raw partition recovery you need to make sure that you stop using the hard drive otherwise the recoverable data will be overwritten. Also, perform the partition recovery as soon as possible to increase the probability of raw partition recovery.
NOTE: Do not format the hard drive before recovering the data from the RAW partition.
Unfortunately, the process of fixing a RAW partition involves formatting the partition. And formatting the RAW partition will erase the files residing on a RAW drive, resulting in catastrophic data loss. Also, it is a quite complicated process to recover data after formatting.
To avoid data loss, the best possible solution is, first to recover the RAW partition later fix the RAW partition. To recover the data from a RAW drive, the most suggested method is RAW partition recovery software.
How to Recover Data from Raw Partition? (Windows 10, 8, 7)
Here is the verified method using which you can restore data from the raw partition. Choose a reliable tool to safely recover the RAW partition from the hard drive. Since Remo is integrated with a deep scan option, it can keenly scrutinize individual storage sectors on the RAW partition for file signatures and recover every single bit of data. Which makes Remo an ideal RAW partition recovery software.
So download the Remo Data Recovery tool and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch the software and select the Recover Partitions option from the home screen
- Select the RAW partition from the displayed drives
- Click on the scan option and wait for the process to complete
- After scanning the drive, Remo will display the recovered files in the recovery window
- From the recovery, the window select the files and save them onto a healthy drive
If you are looking for manual methods, to recover the RAW partition without using a tool, sadly there aren’t any safe methods. Because once a partition is turned RAW it cannot be accessed. This is why it is highly recommended to use Remo to recover data from a RAW partition. Once the files are recovered from the RAW partition, then you can move on to fix the RAW partition.
How to fix RAW Partition?
As discussed in the previous segment, a RAW partition is just a partition with an incompatible or damaged file system. Hence, the easiest way to fix a RAW partition is by quick formatting the RAW partition with a new file system.
To format a RAW partition
- Open File Explorer or This PC.
- Right-click on the drive, and click on the format option.
- Hit Yes when Windows prompts "This is the active partition on this disk. All data on the partition will be lost. Are you sure to format this partition?"
- Select the NTFS file system and click on OK.
- Once the RAW partition is formatted with a new working file system it will be marked as a new drive.
NOTE: In case you are facing any issue while formatting the disk, refer to the solution mentioned in this article.
Remo – Best RAW Partition Recovery Software
Since RAW drive or partition is completely inaccessible, a conventional recovery software might not be able to scan the storage sectors. Whereas Remo has a unique deep scan feature that is dedicated to scanning every individual storage sector for data signatures. Hence, Remo can also be used even in most complicated data loss scenarios such as to recover data from unallocated hard drives, a drive that is not detected.
- If you have noticed the process of data recovery, Remo has the most streamlined user interface, the best choice for a novice user.
- Moreover, Remo can detect over 300 file formats, which makes Remo a robust recovery software that can easily detect and recover any digital media file.
- Supports all formats of storage drives such as to recover data from SD cards, HDD, SSD, Pen Drives, etc.
- Additionally, Remo works flawlessly on Windows 10, 8, 7 also Mas OS (Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave).
It is always recommended to first recover the data from the RAW drive whenever you come across such a situation. A RAW partition might be a common error and it might be easy to fix just by formatting. But the catch is you will lose all the files once you format them. Your priority should be recovering the data from the RAW partition not fixing it.
You can also take precautions to avoid your hard drive partition from becoming RAW. Generally, the causes of a drive becoming RAW are virus infection, ejecting the storage drive improperly, sudden power surges, or changing the file system frequently.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.