In this article, you will learn how to fix and recover data from corrupted lost or deleted partitions. Corrupted partitions can be a great hurdle to access your data, run applications, or boot a computer. Because, when a partition is damaged, lost, or corrupted, you can no longer access the drive also in some cases the partition will be marked as raw or sometimes the entire partition will not be displayed in This PC or My Computer.
Usually, many users believe that fixing a damaged partition will recover the data existing on it but it is not true. Fixing a damaged or lost partition and recovering data from a partition is completely different. Fixing a damaged partition means you need to format the drive with a new file system. Whereas recovering a partition involves using recovery software and getting the data back.
The following are the 2 most important aspects that you are going to learn in this article.
- Recovering Damaged or Corrupted Hard drive
- Instructions to Fix a corrupted partition
How to Recover Data From Corrupted lost or Deleted Partition
To recover the data from a partition you need a partition recovery software. When a partition is damaged the folder or file structure existing on that drive will still be safe, but the file system of the partition will be damaged.
A partition recovery software will scan the damaged partition for data signatures. After finding the data signatures recovery software will instantly recover the files on to a healthy storage drive. Following are the instructions on how to use recover data from a deleted or damaged partition. Integrated with robust scan algorithms Remo is one of the highest preferred recovery software. Download the Remo Recovery software and follow the instructions mentioned below.
|Tip: when recovering a damaged partition, have an external storage drive connected to your computer. Because saving the recovered data on the same storage drive might result in overwriting recoverable data and result in permanently erasing the recoverable files.
Steps to Recover Data from corrupted lost or deleted Partition:
- Install and launch the Remo Recover 6.0 software.
- From the home screen select the drive from which you want to recover partition.
- Select the drive listed below and click on Scan. Once the Quick Scan is completed the software runs Deep Scan simultaneously that performs sector level scan for data signatures.
|Disclaimer: Since deep scan searches for data signatures at sector level it might be a little time consuming than Quick Scan but, the results will be outstanding.
- You can click on Dynamic Recovery View in the bottom right corner to check the progress of the scan.
- After scanning the drive the recovered files will be listed in the recovery window under the lost partition.
- Select the files from the recovery window and click on Recover to complete recovering the files.
- You can use the Advanced Filter to locate the files you didn’t find just by adding minimal information about the files like, signature, file type, or only the modified date.
The process remains the same for the damaged partitions that are existing on an external hard drive or internal hard drive or even on a simple pen drive. Now you have recovered the data you can repair the lost or corrupted partition.
How to Fix a Corrupt, Lost or Deleted Partition.
There are various reasons why a partition is corrupted or damaged. It might be due to bad sectors, abrupt power loss or even deleting the partition (when the partition is deleted from disk management). Whatever the cause might be, the root cause of the problem exists in the file system.
|File System: The file system contains the metadata or index of a partition. Hence, when a filesystem is damaged partition will become inaccessible.
To fix a damaged partition you need to create a new drive, assign a drive letter, and finally format the drive with the latest file system. The following are the two ways to fix a damaged partition.
- Using check Disk command
- Using Disk Management utility
The solution that involves usage of CHKDSK command is complicated and can be difficult to execute, rather you can use Disk Management. The following are the steps to fix a damaged hard drive partition.
- Click on start and open “Computer Management”
|If you are using the latest Windows 10, 8, or 7 you can straight away type Computer Management in the start search bar. In the older version, you can find the Computer Management option in the control panel
- In the computer management window select disk management option within the storage menu
- Disk management menu the damaged partition will be marked with black color and healthy drive will be marked in blue
- Right-click on the damaged partition and select new simple volume option and follow the process as mentioned the setup
- Next assign the drive letter and format the partition with desired file system and click on finish the process
- Open my computer or This PC (latest Windows) and your damaged partition must be working properly
Coming to check disk command, it is quite complicated and even minor mistakes can result in damaging the remaining partitions existing on the storage drive. Still, if you want to use the check disk we have explained it in the article on how to recover data from an undetected hard drive.