Hard Drives are our homes where we store everything from our precious memories to important data at work. Any damage to the hard drive that results in data loss can be stressful. However, the good news is that you can recover data from a hard drive that is corrupt, crashed or damaged. Hard drives are no longer only a tech geeks’s need but also a need of almost everyone who uses a computer.
With the advent of hard drives over the years, the way hard drives are used also has changed. They are not only used to more data but also to perform large data transfer operations frequently. Hence, hard drives getting corrupted or damaged is a more common issue nowadays.That brings us to these most frequently asked questions:
Can I recover data from a crashed hard drive?
Is it possible to recover data from a corrupt hard drive?
How to get back data from an unbootable hard drive?
If you are one of those users trying to find an answer for the above questions or trying to recover data from a hard drive to be precise, you are at the right place. This article will not only help you recover data from corrupt, crashed or damaged hard drives but also guides you to repair your corrupt or damaged hard drive with easy methods.
Before you move on to recovering data from hard drives, let us understand data loss in hard drives and the reasons behind it.
Data loss in Hard Drives and Reasons Behind It:
Data loss in hard drives can be due to many reasons varying from accidentally deleting the data to losing it due to a corruption in the hard drive. Similarly, there can be two types of damages that can happen to hard drives, logical damage or physical damage.
Either of the damages will result in data loss and you can only recover data from a hard drive which is not physically damaged. The following are symptoms of a corrupt or crashed hard drive and reason behind it:
- Unable to access the hard drive- drive showing up the error invalid media type
- Computer showing error saying disk not formatted. Do you want to format now?
- The file system on the hard drive has turned RAW
- File names replaced with random weird characters
- Missing files and folders on the hard drive
Now let us know the most common reasons behind a corrupt hard drive:
- Corrupt File System: A file system can get corrupted due to various reasons like improperly formatted file system or malware infected partition.
- Bad Sectors: Bad sectors on the drive can seriously damage your drive and makes it nearly impossible to recover data as it is physical damage to the hard drive
- Improper partitioning of Hard Drive: When you are using disk management to shrink or resize your partition you have to be very careful as the chances of damaging your hard drive is very high.
- Virus Attack: With our computer always connected to the internet the chances of virus attack or malware infection is high which can result in data loss.
Is it Possible to recover data from a corrupt hard drive?
Yes it is possible to recover data from a corrupt hard drive without any hassle. To ensure a complete hard drive data recovery process you should strictly prohibit yourself from not using the hard drive after data loss has occurred. This will avoid unnecessary overwriting of data that is deleted or lost from your hard drive.
To recover data from a crashed hard drive you have to make use of a hard drive data recovery software. However if you have a corrupt hard drive and are unable to access it at all first you might have to repair it using the manual methods that are mentioned in the later part of the article.
- Recover Data With the Help of Professional Hard Drive Recovery Software
- Repair Corrupt or Crashed Hard Drive
Note: If recovering your data is the priority over repairing your hard drive, we recommend you to recover data from your crashed hard drive. The manual method of repairing can put your precious data at risk.
Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software: Best in Class Tool to Recover Files from Hard Drive
Remo Hard Drive Data Recovery Software is the most recommended tool to recover data from your hard drive that is corrupt, crashed or damaged. Built with an advanced scan engine the tool can recover data from hard drives suffering from any data loss scenarios. Following are the reasons why you should use Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software:
- Recover Files, Photos, Videos, Documents and other 300 plus file formats from various storage devices like hard drive, SSD, SD card, USB drive etc.
- Dual scan modes to ensure hard drive data recovery from complex data loss scenarios like formatted hard drive recovery.
- Supports recovery of data from FAT32, FAT16. ExFAT, NTFS file and available across all versions of Windows and Mac OS
How to Recover Data from Corrupt, Crashed or Damaged Hard Drive?
To recover data from a crashed or corrupt hard drive download and install the Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software on your computer. Connect the hard drive from which you want to recover files and follow the below mentioned steps:
- Launch the tool, click on Recover Partitions, select the hard drive from which you want to recover data and hit the Scan
- After completion of the scanning process, you will see the recovered data listed in File Type View and Data Type View
- Use the Preview button to check the recovered files from the hard drive. If you are satisfied with the hard drive recovery process, Save recovery session and activate the tool to Save data recovered from the corrupt hard drive on to desired location.
Note: Do not save the recovered data onto the same hard drive. This will overwrite the data existing in your hard drive and will make external hard drive recovery incomplete.
Video Tutorial to Recover Data from Damaged, Corrupt or Unbootable Hard Drive:
How to Repair Corrupt or Damaged Hard Drives?
To repair a corrupt or damaged hard drive follow below mentioned methods one after the other. You should be able to successfully repair your crashed hard drive with any of the below mentioned methods:
Repair Hard Drive from an In Built Error Checking Tool:
- Right click on the hard drive or the partition that is corrupt and select Properties
- In properties go to Tools and click on Check
- Next click on Scan Drive to start the process of error checking
This will check for errors on your hard drive and fix it, making your inaccessible hard drive data accessible.
If the error checking tool didn’t help you then move on to the next method.
Run CHKDSK to Repair your Corrupt Hard Disk:
To run CHKDSK follow the below mentioned steps:
- Press Windows+X on your computer
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin)
- Finally to start the scan and fix your corrupted hard drive enter the following command
chkdsk [f]: /f /r, where [f] stands for the hard drive letter that needs to be scanned
With the CHKDSK command you should be able to fix any minor errors in the hard drive and you will be able to access data on your hard drive. If CHKDSK fails to fix your corrupt hard drive then you will have to format your hard drive and recover data from your corrupt or crashed hard drive using Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software.
Never Lose your Data Again with this Quick-tips:
- Take regular backup of data to ensure that you always stay prepared for data loss scenarios
- Switch to smart backup solutions like cloud storage to never lose you data
- Protect your computer against viruses with a trusted antivirus software
- Just in case of data loss make use of Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software.
Data loss can happen anytime and you cannot anticipate it. The best way to prepare yourself against any data loss scenarios is to take regular backup of data. However, if you do not have backup of data and your hard drive crashed or got corrupt you can always make use of Remo hard Drive Recovery Software. Do let us know if you have any thoughts on the methods mentioned in this article.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.