Hard Drives are our homes where we store everything from our precious memories to important data at work. Any damage to a hard drive can cause serious problems for users worldwide, as the data stored on it may be at risk.
Data loss can occur for various reasons, with hard drive corruption being one of the main causes. A study by IBM found that over 40% of data loss is caused by hardware failure, including hard drive corruption. So, you are not alone if you come across a similar situation where you have lost data or lost access to your data due to hard drive corruption or failure.
However, every problem has a solution. As the saying goes, "impossible" itself is "I'm possible." So, if you have lost data due to hard drive corruption, damage, or failure, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will explain various methods to help you recover data from a corrupted hard drive. We will also explain how you can repair or fix your corrupted hard drive. Read this full article to find out.
What Happens When Your Hard Drive Crashes?
Although hard drives should be maintained properly, certain circumstances can cause them to fail or crash. Hard drive crashes typically result in error messages such as ‘Disk boot failure‘ or ‘Operating system not fund’. In addition to this, you may also find other symptoms such as:
- A blue screen of death appears while booting
- Multiple instances of shutdowns and reboots
- Strange noises from the hard drive
Can I Recover Data From a Corrupted Hard Drive?
Yes, it is possible to recover data from a corrupt hard drive without any hassle. To ensure a complete hard drive data recovery process you should strictly prohibit yourself from not using the hard drive after data loss has occurred. This will avoid unnecessary overwriting of data that is deleted or lost from your hard drive.
To recover data from a corrupted hard drive you have to make use of hard drive data recovery software. However, if you have a corrupt hard drive and are unable to access it at all first you might have to repair it using the manual methods that are mentioned in the later part of the article.
- Recover Data With the Help of Professional Hard Drive Recovery Software
- Repair Corrupt or Crashed Hard Drive
Note: If recovering your data is the priority over repairing your hard drive, we recommend you recover data from your crashed hard drive. The manual method of repairing can put your precious data at risk.
3 Effective Methods to Recover and Fix Corrupted Hard Drive
Using these 3 methods you can perform hard disk data recovery with ease.
Method 1: Recover Data From Corrupted Hard Drive Using Hard Drive Recovery Tool
To recover data from a corrupted hard drive you need a professional hard drive recovery tool like Remo Recover.
Remo Recover is the most recommended tool to recover data from your corrupt hard drive, crashed, or damaged. Built with an advanced scan engine the tool can recover data from hard drives suffering from any data loss scenarios. Following are the reasons why you should use Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software:
- Recover Files, Photos, Videos, Documents, and other 500-plus file formats from various storage devices like hard drives, SSD, SD cards, USB drives, etc.
- Dual scan modes to ensure hard drive data recovery from complex data loss scenarios like formatted hard drives.
- Supports recovery of data from FAT32, FAT16, ExFAT, and NTFS files and is available across all versions of Windows and Mac OS
Steps to Recover Data From Corrupt Hard Drive Using Remo Recover
- To recover files from a corrupted hard drive download and install the Remo Recover software on your computer. Connect the corrupt hard drive from which you want to recover files
- Launch the tool, and select the drive to restore data. In case, if your corrupt hard drive is not visible on the main screen, then click Can’t find the drive option. And click the Scan button
- After completion of the scanning process, you will see the recovered data under the Deep Scan folders. You can double-click on any file to preview it for free.
- Finally, select the files you want to restore from the hard drive and click on the Recover button
How To Repair A Corrupted Hard Disk?
Here are the 2 effective methods which can help you repair or fix your corrupted hard drive.
Method 2: Repair Hard Drive from an In-Built Error Checking Tool
- Right-click on the hard drive or the partition that is corrupt and select Properties
- In properties go to Tools and click on Check
- Next click on Scan Drive to start the process of error checking
This will check for errors on your hard drive and fix it, making your inaccessible hard drive data accessible.
If the error-checking tool didn’t help you then move on to the next method.
Note: If your hard drive refuses to boot, then read this article to find out how to recover data from an unbootable hard drive.
Method 3: Run CHKDSK to Fix your Corrupt Hard Disk
To run CHKDSK follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Press Windows+X on your computer
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin)
- Finally to start the scan and fix your corrupted hard drive enter the following command
chkdsk [f]: /f /r, where [f] stands for the hard drive letter that needs to be scanned
With the CHKDSK command, you should be able to fix any minor errors in the hard drive and you will be able to access data on your hard drive. If CHKDSK fails to fix your corrupt hard drive then you will have to format your hard drive and recover data from your corrupt or crashed hard drive using Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software.
Data loss in Hard Drives and Reasons Behind It:
Data loss in hard drives can be due to many reasons varying from accidentally deleting the data to losing it due to corruption in the hard drive. Similarly, there can be two types of damage that can happen to hard drives, logical damage, and physical damage.
Either of the damages will result in data loss and you can only recover data from a hard drive that is not physically damaged. The following are symptoms of a corrupt or crashed hard drive and the reason behind it:
- Unable to access the hard drive- drive showing up the error invalid media type
- Computer showing error saying disk not formatted. Do you want to format it now?
- The file system on the hard drive has turned RAW
- File names replaced with random weird characters
- Missing files and folders on the hard drive
Now let us know the most common reasons behind a corrupt hard drive:
- Corrupt File System: A file system can get corrupted due to various reasons like an improperly formatted file system or malware-infected partition.
- Bad Sectors: Bad sectors on the drive can seriously damage your drive and makes it nearly impossible to recover data as it is physical damage to the hard drive
- Improper partitioning of Hard Drive: When you are using disk management to shrink or resize your partition you have to be very careful as the chances of damaging your hard drive are very high.
- Overheating: Rise in temperature inside the computer caused due to fan malfunctioning or dust build-up. Overheating can result in hard drive failure.
- Virus Attack: With our computer always connected to the internet the chances of virus attack or malware infection is high which can result in data loss.
Never Lose Your Data Again With These Quick-Tips:
- Take regular backups of important files to ensure that you always stay prepared for data loss scenarios
- Switch to smart backup solutions like cloud storage to never lose your data
- Protect your computer against viruses with a trusted antivirus software
- Just in case of data loss make use of Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software.
Data loss can happen anytime and you cannot anticipate it. The best way to prepare yourself against any data loss scenarios is to take a regular backup of data. However, if you do not have a backup of data and your hard drive crashes or got corrupt you can always make use of Remo Hard Drive Recovery Software. Do let us know if you have any thoughts on the methods mentioned in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
To recover files from HDD which is corrupt crashed or damaged, you will need to make use of a professional hard drive data recovery software like Remo Recover. Once you have downloaded and installed Remo Recover on your computer, connect the hard drive from which you want to recover and follow the below-mentioned steps:
Launch, Remo Recover, click on Recover Partitions, select the hard drive from which you want to recover data from, and click on the Scan button.
This will initiate the scanning process, after completion of the scanning process you will be having the list of recovered files from a corrupted hard drive.
You can choose the files you want to recover and save them to the desired location by activating the software.
To repair a corrupt hard drive you can make use of inbuilt utilities like SFC and DISM. SFC is System File Checker which can help you with checking issues with system files and fixing them. DISM is a command prompt utility that can be used to check the integrity of the file system and fix corruption issues on the drive. To run SFC to repair a corrupt hard drive, you can follow the below-mentioned methods:
Right-click on Start Button, click on Windows Terminal (Admin)
In Windows Powershell Window, now type the following command, sfc /scannow
This will do a scan and looks for any issues in the hard drive and fix it.
Now to use DISM, type dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Wait for the operation to complete and check whether you have fixed your corrupt hard drive
Data recovery is a complex process and depending on how you are recovering data, you will have to pay the price accordingly. Usually, offline data recovery services will cost around 400$ to 500$, which is very high compared to using data recovery software which will cost around 60$ to 90$.