What is a Guest Account on Mac?
Guest accounts are a secure way of sharing a Mac computer with other users. Since the guest account will not have admin-level access, all your personal information is protected. Unfortunately, on the negative side, the guest account saves the newly created files on a temporary basis. This means as soon as you log out from your Mac guest account, the files you have created will be auto-deleted, and there is no other way to avoid it.
Additionally, there is no other functionality on macOS to recover deleted files from the Mac guest account. Are you searching for a way to recover lost files from your Mac guest account? You can find the answer to that question in the following article, so scroll down without further ado.
Table of Contents:
- How to Recover Deleted Files from Mac Guest User Account?
- Why is Remo Mac File Recovery Ideal for Recovering Lost Files from Mac Guest Account?
- How Do Mac Users Lose Files from the Mac Guest Account?
- Tips to Avoid Loss of Files from Guest User Accounts
How to Recover Deleted Files From Mac Guest User Account?
- Recover Lost Files from Mac guest Users using Time Machine Backup
- Recover Lost or Deleted Files from the Guest Account using File Backup
- Restore Deleted Files from Mac Guest User Account using a Professional File Recovery Software
Method 1: Recover Lost Files from Mac Guest User Account using Time Machine Backup
Time machine backup is one of the best utilities provided by Apple against data loss. You can create backup files of your important files.
- From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
- Select the Time Machine.
- In the Show Time Machine menu bar, click on Enter Time Machine.
- Finally, you can find the files and Folders and then click on Restore.
Limitations: The major drawback of using Time Machine Backup in this specific scenario is enabling a backup of files created by the guest user. More importantly, a Time Machine scheduled backup enabled on the admin account backs up only the admin files but will not include the files from the guest account.
Method 2: Recover Deleted Files from Mac Guest Account using Mac Storage Backup
- Go to your Backup folder on your Mac.
- Choose the files you would like to recover from the Guest account.
- Copy the files to another folder on your Mac.
Note - This scenario is applicable only if you have enabled backup on your macOS; if you do not have a backup, follow the methodology listed below
So, if you have not created a backup file before the data loss on a guest account, the only chances of recovering data from the Mac guest user account are almost none. If you have created a backup file, go to the restore files option and recover files from the Mac guest account. This remains the same even for recovering data from MacBook.
However, using data recovery software, accomplishing recovery of lost data from a Mac guest account is possible. You can find the explanation in the following section.
Method 3: Recover Deleted Files from Mac Guest Account using a Professional Data Recovery Software
On a technical note, it means the same when a file is lost from Mac guest accounts. This means when a file is deleted from a Mac guest account, the files are not permanently deleted. They are just removed from the Mac index. So when any file is removed from the index, the file becomes inaccessible and invisible but will exist in the storage sectors. Storage sectors are blocks of storage space on your Mac volumes that save the files.
That means you can recover the data stored in those sectors if you can access those storage sectors. Mac File Recovery tool can create an interface to access the storage sectors, which will assist users in recovering deleted or lost files from Mac effortlessly. Without effective Mac data recovery software, accessing the storage sectors is impossible.
Remo Mac File Recovery Software is one of the highest-reviewed software that can recover data from any severe data loss scenario. Download the software and follow the instructions mentioned in the next section.
Engineered by testing against real-time data loss scenarios, Remo Recovery for Mac can easily recover data from the most complicated data loss scenarios. Remo’s simple and self-explanatory user interface will assist you in effortlessly recovering data from Mac guest user accounts. So Download now and try Remo Mac File Recovery Software for free.
Steps to Recover files from Mac Guest account Using Remo Mac File Recovery Software
- Download and install Remo Recover Mac File Recovery Software and launch the software.
- From the main screen select the volume from which you'd like to recover.
- Click on Dynamic Recovery View to see the data as they are being recovered.
- Once the recovery is completed you can view the recovered data in the Lost and Found Folder.
- Double-click on any recovered files for a free preview.
- After previewing the recovered files if you are satisfied with the results simply click on Recover to save the recovered files from the Mac guest account in your preferred location.
Crucial Note: Mac Ventura is finally here. Suppose you have not yet installed it. Then, refer to this article to learn more about Ventura and about upgrading to Ventura without losing your important data.
Why is Remo ideal for Recovering Lost Files from Mac Guest Account?
Can Recover Data From Most critical Data Loss scenarios
Unlike most data loss scenarios, recovering data from a Mac Guest account is complicated. Because you cannot install software on the guest account. So, you need to install the software on the admin account and recover data. Since the software is installed in a different account, the data recovery software must be able to scan the Mac volumes with respect to data signatures, just like Remo, which is designed to implement a sector-level scan for data signatures and scavenge every existing bit of data from the sectors.
Can detect over 500 file formats from Mac Volumes
Additionally, the software is developed to detect over 500 file formats. Hence, none of the files are left uncovered. You can add personalized file types if you work on undefined ones. Furthermore, you can also use this tool to recover your MacBook after a factory reset. The tool can easily recover files from various systems like APFS, HFS, HFS+, ExFAT, FAT32, FAT16, etc.
Most Efficient Tool to Recover Data
Remo File Recovery for Mac streamlines the entire data recovery process; all a user needs to do is to click on a few buttons and wait for the software to recover the data. No need to hire any professional or invest hundreds of dollars to recover a few files. The tool supports recovery from all versions of Mac OS, including the latest Mac OS Ventura.
Considering all the discussed features makes Remo an ideal solution to recover data from Mac guest user accounts.
How Do Mac Users Lose Files from the Mac Guest Account?
- Files getting erased due to Accidental deletion
- Mac Guest Account files get deleted due to corruption on the macOS
- The files getting deleted by using the Command + shift keys
- Data loss while upgrading from one version of macOS to another
For any of the above listed or any other reason, if you have lost or deleted your Mac Guest account files.
The solutions mentioned earlier can help you recover files deleted from your Mac Guest Account but also help you recover deleted files from Mac.
Here are a few tips that can help you protect your valuable files
Tips to Avoid Loss of Files from Guest User Accounts
Since guest accounts are created as temporary accounts, the files are deleted from the guest as soon as you log out. So it is suggested that,
- Save your files on an external storage drive as soon as you complete working on them.
- Backup your data to your iCloud account or any cloud storage
In conclusion, recovering lost or deleted files from a Mac guest account is possible.
In this article, we have talked about recovering deleted files from Mac Guest Account using external backups, Time Machine backups, and professional data recovery software such as Remo Mac Data recovery software to help you automate the Guest account recovery process.