Summary: A complete guide on how to recover deleted photos from various devices like Android phone, iPhone, Windows, Mac, SD card and Digital camera using proven methods. And also learn the hacks to avoid photo loss or deletion.
Photos come with various file formats such as PNG, JPEG, JPG, TIFF, BMP, PDF, Raw-image format, etc. Mistakenly losing or deleting photos is disheartening for anyone who has captured them to cherish their beautiful moments forever or to submit some important projects. Your beautiful collection of photos, not only resembles your photography skills but also reflects the hard work you have put in to make them look wonderful.
Nevertheless, lost or deleted photos are recoverable. Here is a complete tutorial on how to recover deleted photos from various devices like Android phone, iPhone, Windows, Mac, SD card, Digital camera, etc. using various reliable methods.
How to Recover Deleted Photos? | Effortlessly
|Android Phone (Including SD card)|
|Tips to avoid Photos deletion or loss|
If you have deleted or lost photos from your Android phone then, here is a reliable guide for you to restore deleted images.
Note: Go to the 4th method, if you are directly looking to recover deleted photos from an SD card.
|Method 1: Gallery||Method 2: Google Photos||Method 3: Dropbox||Method 4: Remo Recover|
Photos deleted from an Android smartphone are stored in the Trash Bin for up to 30 days. Here are the simple steps to restore them from Trash Bin under Gallery;
- Open Gallery application on your Android smartphone
- Click on the Albums option and scroll down to the Trash bin.
- Select the deleted photos which you want to restore and click the Restore option.
Google Photos offers a free backup of all your important photos and videos up to an extent. If you have turned on Google Photos backup in Android phone settings, then all your deleted photos can be easily recovered from Google Photos applications.
Steps to recover deleted pictures from Google Photos app
- Open the Google Photos app on your Android mobile phone.
- Go to the top left menu and select the Trash button.
- Select the recently deleted photos that you want to get back, and hit the Restore option.
Note: You can recover deleted photos on Android from Google Photos if they have not exceeded more than 60 days. Also, this method cannot recover deleted pictures from Android if Trash Bin is emptied.
If you have activated Dropbox before deleting or losing photos from Android then, make use of the below steps to get back deleted photos.
- Open Dropbox on your Android Smartphone.
- Open Camera Uploads which is a default image folder.
Note: In case, if you have moved your photos to any other folder then, navigate to it.
- Select the photos which you want to recover and click on the More icon (which is basically 3 dots).
- Now, select Save to Device option to get back all your deleted photos from Dropbox to your Android device.
Utilize Remo Recover which is a professional SD card recovery tool to recover deleted images from SD card. This SD card recovery tool works with a user-friendly interface to easily recover deleted photos, raw-images, videos, audio files, text files, and various other documents from the micro/ SD card, digital camera, camcorder, external hard drive, SSD, etc.
Steps to Recover deleted Photos from Android SD card
- Download the Remo Recover tool on your Windows or Mac to recover deleted photos from Android SD card.
- Connect the SD card to your system from which you want to recover deleted photos.
- Launch this tool and select the Recover Photos option.
- Select the SD card drive on which you have deleted photos and click the Scan option.
- After the scanning process completes, you can preview the recovered deleted photos from the SD card for free and click the Save to restore them to any location of your choice.
There might be plenty of reasons about how you have lost or deleted photos from your iPhone. Make use of the below reliable methods to recover deleted pictures from iPhone safely.
|Method 1: Without Software||Method 2: iTunes Backup||Method 3: iCloud|
- Go to Photos app on iPhone
- Click on the Albums option
- Scroll down to the Recently Deleted or Permanently Deleted option based on your iOS version.
- Now, select the deleted photos which you want to get back and click the Recover option.
You can easily recover permanently lost or deleted photos from your iPhone using the iTunes backup method.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac with the USB cable.
- Open iTunes and click on the iPhone’s icon.
- Select the Restore Backup option.
- Now, choose the backup on which your deleted images are stored, and then click the Restore option.
If you have backup photos on the iCloud account then follow the below instructions to recover your deleted photos with ease;
Go to the iCloud account > Sign in with your Apple ID > navigate to the photos > locate your deleted photos > select the photos you want to recover and click on the Download option.
No matter how carefully you work on your photos, there are various scenarios under which you might experience the deletion of images from your Windows computer.
|Method 1: Recycle Bin||Method 2: File History||Method 3: Backup||Method 4: Remo Recover|
If you accidentally delete photos on Windows 10 or any other Windows operating systems like Windows 8, 8.1, 7, etc. then, the Windows computer automatically saves deleted pictures in the Recycle Bin. Any deleted files can be recovered from the Recycle bin in simple steps.
Steps to Recover deleted photos from Recycle bin
- Open the Recycle Bin on your Windows.
- Select the deleted photos which you want to restore from Recycle Bin.
- Now, right-click and click the Restore option to restore all your deleted photos on your Windows computer.
After you restore deleted photos from the Recycle Bin, you can find the recovered photos on the same drive where they previously existed.
If you are unable to locate or find deleted images on the Windows Recycle bin, then this is could be due to the permanently deleted photos on the Windows computer. The following are the reliable methods to recover photos from permanent deletion.
Windows File History helps users to recover deleted or lost files by going back to the previous Windows version. If you have activated the File History feature on your Windows PC, then make use of the below steps.
- Go to the folder on which your deleted photos were previously saved.
- Right-click in the folder and select Properties.
- Now, click the Previous Versions tab and locate the previous version where all your deleted or lost photos are found.
- Click the Restore button to get back your deleted photos to their original drive.
Recovering deleted photos is easy if you regularly take a backup of your important photos. Taking a backup not only helps you recover permanently deleted photos but also helps you get back your lost files from various scenarios of data or photos loss on Windows computers.
In case you have not taken a backup of all your deleted pictures. Then, move on to the next method to recover deleted photos using the prominent photo recovery software.
Make use of the Remo Photo Recovery tool to safely recover permanently deleted or lost photos of various formats JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, PSD, etc. from your Windows computer and various external storage devices like USB, external hard drive, memory card, etc.
Steps to Recover deleted Photos from Windows using Remo Photo Recovery tool
- Download and install the Remo Photo Recovery tool on your Windows PC.
- Launch the tool and select the Recover Photos option.
- Select the drive from which you want to recover deleted or lost photos and click the Scan button.
- After the scanning process completes, select the deleted photos which you want to recover and click the Save button to restore them to a location of your choice.
If you have deleted photos on Mac computer then, there are many reliable ways through which you can get them back on macOS Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, etc.
Unintentionally deleting photos on Mac can be frustrating! The following are the proven methods that can help you recover deleted photos on Mac including macOS Catalina with ease.
|Method 1: Trash||Method 2: Time Machine||Method 3: Remo Recover Mac|
- Open the Trash bin on your Mac.
- Locate the deleted photos which you want to recover.
- Finally, Right-click on the deleted photos you have selected to restore, and click the Put Back option.
After performing the above steps, the deleted images will be recovered from the Trash to their previous location.
Make use of Time Machine backup to start recovering deleted photos. In case, if your Time Machine Backup disk wasn’t turned on before losing photos, then this method would not help you to restore your deleted images.
- Open a Finder window in the folder where the deleted photos were previously located.
- Click the Time Machine Backup icon on the menu bar
- Select the Enter Time Machine Backup option
- Now you can either select the specific date on which you lost or deleted photos or you can go back in time hourly, daily, or weekly to recover deleted pictures.
- Select the deleted photos you want to get back.
- Click the Restore option to recover deleted photos.
Note: In case, if you have not set Time Machine Backup before losing or deleting photos then, this method cannot help you recover deleted pictures. In such a scenario, make use of Remo Mac Photo Recovery software.
Utilize Remo Recover Mac which is an advanced Mac Photo Recovery tool to safely recover deleted pictures from Mac system in simple clicks. Apart from recovering photos, this tool can also recover videos, raw-images, Office files, audio files, etc. from various data loss scenarios like formatting, photos lost due to macOS update, macOS reinstallation, etc.
Steps to Recover Deleted Photos using Remo Recover Mac Tool
- Download and install Remo Mac Photo Recovery Software to recover deleted photos on your Mac.
- Launch this tool and select the Recover Photos option.
- Click the Recover Deleted Photos option.
- Now, select the Mac drive or volume on which you have deleted photos, and click Next.
- Select the deleted photo file format, which you are looking to recover from your Mac.
(If you are not sure about the deleted photo file type (like JPEG, PNG, etc.) which you want to recover then, click the Skip option.)
- After the scanning process completes, select the deleted photos you want to recover and click the Save option to restore them to a location of your choice.
|Method 1: Properly Insert SD card||Method 2: Remo Photo Recovery|
Here is a guide to recover deleted pictures from a Digital camera like GoPro, Canon, Nikon, or Sony camera, etc.
In some cases, you might find that photos are deleted or missing from your SD card, Android phone, or digital camera. During such times, the first thing to do is to check if the memory card or SD card is properly inserted in your respective device or not.
Properly inserting the SD card can get back your lost photos or else move on to the next method.
Remo Digital Camera Photo Recovery tool easily recovers deleted photos captured from various cameras like Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Sony, GoPro, Kodak, etc. under multiple photo loss scenarios. Download this tool now!
Steps to Recover deleted Images from Digital Camera
Download and launch Remo Recover software on your computer and connect the camera's memory card to your computer or Mac. Select the Recover Photos option and choose the Memory card drive from which you want to recover deleted photos and click the Scan button. After the scanning process completes, you can preview the recovered photos. Finally, select the deleted photos which you want to restore and hit the Save button to get them back to a location of your choice.
- Regularly take a backup of your important photos. This can help you recover photos from various data loss scenarios like deletion, formatting, corruption, sudden interruptions, etc.
- Cross-check photos while deleting them especially when no backup photos have taken.
- Avoid permanently deletion of photos if you are not sure about the future importance of the photos to be deleted.
- Deleting photos from your SD card or Digital camera is the same as deleting photos permanently.
- Stop using the device as soon as you have deleted or lost photos from it to avoid overwriting files. This way you can successfully recover deleted photos.
- Do not connect your SD card to corrupt devices. This can make your SD card unreadable or corrupt.
- Avoid abrupt removal of the SD card to prevent photo loss due to corruption.
Senior Editor, Content Analyst and a fan of exceptional customer service. John develops and publishes instructional and informational content regarding partition management, Windows hot-fixes, data management and computer troubleshooting.
As a tenured data recovery specialist, John shares exceptional insights and blog posts about data loss and data recovery across any storage device. With 8+ years’ experience in writing for Data Recovery for both Mac OS and Windows OS computers, he is an avid learner who always wants to polish and simplify the data recovery process. John passes his free time playing Chess and reading Science Fiction novels.